Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Cooking leg of lamb

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Cooking leg of lamb

by Kim H » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:43 pm

I could use some advice, please. I am planning to make a half a leg of lamb (butt end) which I ordered from Paul's. I've never cooked leg of lamb, and am conflicted on how to cook it. My initial thought was to do as I usually do with a roast - season, sear in all sides in a roaster, add some liquid (red wine, beef broth), cover, bake 350 for about an hour using a meat thermometer. Then I went to the inet, and now I'm confused. Thoughts? I could use some help as I'm a good cook, but rather intimidated! :?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Cooking leg of lamb

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:02 pm

Kim, Pierre Franey's recipe is pretty much the way I remember. Keep it simple, basically, and dry roast with an aromatic rub. I'd ignore the first step about cutting away the hip bone, although trimming off some of the heavier fat isn't a bad idea. Keep some to moisten the lamb, but if it's thick, a lot of it will just run off into the roasting pan.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/116 ... eg-of-lamb
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:01 pm

I appreciate that, Robin, but NYT won't let me in. Tried to set up an acct, but it was messing with my Google. My big question - is there a problem with my initial idea for this leg? Butcher at Paul's says that's the basic method he always uses (what I was suggesting), and he (Billy) sounds pretty knowledgeable. I looooove Pierre, one of the reasons I started cooking, Truly. But I imagine he promotes the elevated lamb on a rack in a pan with a hi temp to start, etc. Was wondering if that method was truly ideal.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:39 am

Oh! If you got advice from the butcher, then follow it. :D

Just FYI, though, I'll paste in the text of the NYT story.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:39 am

INGREDIENTS
1 leg of lamb, 6 to 7 pounds, oven ready
3 cloves garlic, cut into 12 slivers
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon rosemary
Salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 medium-size onion, peeled and cut in half crosswise
¾ water
PREPARATION
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Prepare the leg of lamb for roasting by cutting away the hipbone and excess fat. Set the bone aside.
With a paring knife, make 12 small incisions in the meat and insert a sliver of garlic in each.
Rub the lamb with oil and place it in a roasting pan. Rub with rosemary and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add an onion half on each side.
Roast the lamb on the bottom rack of the oven, basting every 15 to 20 minutes. After one hour of cooking, remove all the fat from the pan and add the water.
Continue roasting for 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees for medium rare.
Remove from the oven and place the bone under the roast to serve as a rack in the pan. Keep warm for 15 minutes. Carve and serve with the pan gravy.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks Robin! I eventually got logged in, and I really appreciate your input. I'm still debating on.which way to go. If it hasn't been so expensive, I wouldn't be so nervous! :|
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:24 am

I cook lamb several times per year and agree with the NYT recipe, with the exception of cutting the bone away (as Robin pointed out as not being necessary). Good luck! I'm sure it will be wonderful.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:47 pm

Thank you, TP! Happy Easter if you celebrate, Happy Sunday if you don't! I really appreciate your input, esp since it's sounds like you have this down pat! I consider myself an established home cook, but have gotten myself in knots about this expensive piece of meat. I've postponed making it until tom night as I decided to go with the more traditional recipes, and not sear it on the stove top. I want a roaster with a rack insert, and I don't have one yet. Do you use that when you make it? If so, would you recommend a flat insert, or the V?
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:22 am

Kim,
Hoping you had a good Easter, and thank you for the well wishes.

I use a simple roasting pan. I think the most important aspect of cooking lamb (and most meats) is a good thermometer, and get it out of the oven in a timely manner and let it rest. It's so easy to overcook lamb, and it's so much better at a pink color.

Enjoy!
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks again for your help to TP and Robin! I couldn't carve it very well, but hubby loved it! There's a couple of things I'd prob do differently from what I actually did, but overall, we were pleased. :-) I'll post a photo soon. I thank you, my husband thanks you, and my mouth thanks you!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:57 am

So happy to hear it turned out well, Kim. Don't wait till next Easter to try another!
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:05 pm

20170418_211255RDX.jpg
20170418_211255RDX.jpg (56.25 KiB) Viewed 13538 times
I had some difficulty carving it, but it tasted great!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Looks perfect, Kim! Bright pink at the center, crusty edges.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:50 pm

Thanks, Robin! We were happy with it! :D
User

gregg.kramer

{ RANK }