Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Chik'n & Mi

User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Chik'n & Mi

by TP Lowe » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:46 pm

according to Business First, a new chicken and noodles restaurant coming to Clifton. I'd like but it is likely behind a pay wall.
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Chik'n & Mi

by Jessica H » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:47 pm

Interesting! I was able to get behind the paywall.

Looks like that is what's going into the space next to Clifton Donuts. At least I think that's the one... where Fattoush was?

The article says it will be an Asian noodle shop with a southern spin on several of the dishes. The new owners attended the Culinary Institute of America.

I am curious to see what they do with the place!
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
no avatar
User

chris.stahl

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:53 pm

by chris.stahl » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Heck yeah. I work right by this location. Glad to see something with a little more potential moving in.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:18 pm

Jessica H wrote:an Asian noodle shop with a southern spin

I just got lost. :twisted:

I'd love to see someone make it in that haunted space, though! There've been some pretty good eateries in there, but they just don't last.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:50 pm

All I know is that mi are Vietnamese egg noodles, ga is chicken, and mi ga is chicken egg noodle soup.

Random coincidence?
:lol:
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:51 pm

How does Chik fil A not have a copyright on "Chik'n?" Isn't that their key marketing piece?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:46 pm

RonnieD wrote:How does Chik fil A not have a copyright on "Chik'n?" Isn't that their key marketing piece?

I googled the word "Chik'n" to see about that. It looks like Morningstar Farms sell several vegetarian products dubbed Chik'n. Maybe it's just up for grabs.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:24 pm

"Chik'n, including all the ways it can be spelled and pronounced, is generic for chicken. Generic terms cannot be registered or protected as trademarks. Generic terms are for use by everyone." Thus sayeth the IP attorney who is my beautiful bride.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:37 pm

A few more details from http://www.foodanddine.com:

A new pan-Asian restaurant, to be called Chick’n & Mi, is due to open by the end of March at 2319 Brownsboro Rd., near the Clifton Kroger’s. Jason McCollum, who has cooked at Momofuku is New York City, will apply his interests and experience in cooking Asian cuisine to the full-service fast-casual restaurant to offer a range of dishes from Asian fried chicken to noodle bowls. He will operate the restaurant with his wife, Aenith, whom he met when they were students at the CIA (that’s the Culinary Institute of America, in New York).

As McCollum explained it over the phone, Asian-style fried chicken is breaded with tapioca and rice flour before frying, which makes the dish gluten-free, and served with a soy and garlic sauce. He and his wife plan an eclectic menu that will draw from a variety of Asian cuisines, including Japanese and Lao. The restaurant will also have a full bar, and serve beer wine, sake and Bourbon.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:"Chik'n, including all the ways it can be spelled and pronounced, is generic for chicken. Generic terms cannot be registered or protected as trademarks. Generic terms are for use by everyone." Thus sayeth the IP attorney who is my beautiful bride.

Fascinating. Thank you.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:32 pm

Posted Thursday on Facebook:

Louisville! We are opening tomorrow for dinner! Come join us as we roll out a limited menu from 4-9pm Tuesday thru Thursday and 4-10 Friday and Saturday. We will be able to get our bar program started very soon, but in the meantime come try some tasty food, enjoy great company, and check out the space we have worked so hard on! We can't wait to see you!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:20 pm

Rich S wrote:Posted Thursday on Facebook:

Here's a link to the post ...
https://www.facebook.com/chiknandmi/pho ... =3&theater
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:45 am

I drove by the place on my way to Kroger last night and one other night this week, and they looked pretty busy.

Any reports on the food?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:17 pm

Mike D wrote:I drove by the place on my way to Kroger last night and one other night this week, and they looked pretty busy.

Any reports on the food?

We thought it was pretty good, but their ramen couldn't even touch Mirin's. They probably ought to go with pho or something that doesn't invite comparison. But otherwise, it was good. Much nicer atmosphere, good service, and the food is good.