Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Paczki in Louisville?

no avatar
User

Pete O

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:25 pm

Paczki in Louisville?

by Pete O » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:38 pm

Anyone know of a bakery here in town that have Paczki for Mardi Gras/Pre-Lent festivities? I have some friends that are originally from Detroit that were asking me if they could be found anywhere here in town.

Thanks,
-Pete
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 am

Re: Paczki in Louisville?

by MichelleS » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Mmmmm, I have not seen them since I moved from Michigan.
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:26 am

Unfortunately there's no place I'm aware of in Louisville that makes paczki.
User

Matt K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:57 am

Downtown

by Matt K » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:54 am

I don't know of any local bakeries that make them. Might give Heitzman a call. I do know you can find them at Meijer this time of year though.
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:15 am

The news of a lack of paczki in Louisville saddens the Polish half of me deeply. :(

There's a fine line between paczki and jelly-filled donuts. The main difference is the preferred fillings for paczki (or is the plural paczkii?) are prune or apple. Mmmmm, good and good for ya' (excuse me :roll:)

By the way, for those who don't know, the word paczki is pronounced something like "poonchky." In my mind that makes them both delicious and fun to say! :mrgreen:
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:20 am

International Star grocery in J-Town may have some.
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

by Melissa Richards-Person » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:35 pm

SO sad that there is no place for paczki in Louisville. I might go to Meijer, but since anything pre-packaged usually ends up falling way short of my "taste memory" I am afraid that it won't be worth the trip. The 50% of me that is Polish (Mom's side, if you didn't already guess - Richards not being the most Polish name in the book ;-) may try and see if I can find someone to overnight them to me.

Otherwise, I guess I'll just cook up some of the kielbasa we brought back from the Polish market during our Christmas visit and call it a day....
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:33 pm

Admittedly, I have nothing whatsoever to compare them to, but we tried the Paczki from Meijers this weekend and they were better than I expected. Hubby really liked the cherry with powdered sugar. I preferred the apple with cinnamon sugar.

According to the box, they are available in raspberry, lemon, cherry, cream cheese, prune, blueberry, apple, Bavarian cream, Holland creme and "other".

$3.99 for 6 of them.

I'm assuming they won't be available after tomorrow (Tuesday).
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

Rob Summers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:37 pm

by Rob Summers » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:12 am

Meijer does stock them, and they generally have 5 different available fillings, including Apple, and Prune. (They also have a cream cheese). Nothing is ever going to taste as good as homemade, except homemade. But if your looking for them in a store, you've already resigned yourself to not making homemade.
The 'net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.
~William Gibson
no avatar
User

keith.bond

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:33 pm

by keith.bond » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:40 pm

We're also from the Detroit area and have been in Louisville for four years. There is nothing like Paczki from a Polish bakery, but the ones we get from Meijer are very good. The selection is pretty mundane but what they sell is scrumptious with the thick dough just like homemade.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:34 pm

Melissa Richards-Person wrote:I might go to Meijer, but since anything pre-packaged usually ends up falling way short ..

Not perfect, and likely come in frozen, but I think they are baked in the store that day and packaged/sold. I've only bought them in the morning, and they were surprisingly good.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robert Carnighan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am

none

by Robert Carnighan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:21 am

This Friday morning at 6 AM the Prospect Kroger had about 20 boxes of these each containing 4. There were various fruit flavors and a cream variant. Some boxes were just one kind; some were mixed. They looked freshly made and just like a filled donut to me. The boxes were stacked in front of the donut case.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:27 pm

I've bought them at Walmart before. I've never had ones from a Polish bakery so I don't have a comparison. I thought they were ok; not great.

One the subject of Mardi Gras, though, I can attest to the fact that the king cakes from Nord's are better than most of the ones you find in New Orleans.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:34 pm

Richard S. wrote:On the subject of Mardi Gras, though, I can attest to the fact that the king cakes from Nord's are better than most of the ones you find in New Orleans.

Plehn's makes a good one, too.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Tried the ones from Kroger today. Plenty tasty, but I have nothing to compare them to other than a jelly donut, which they were superior to.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY