Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Manhattan Clam Chowder Recipe?

by Kim H » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:33 pm

I realize it's not traditional clam chowder, but I love it, and have been wanting to make it for some time. I am hoping someone has a tried-n-true recipe for this soup, or at least some pointers. First, I should say that I don't plan on using fresh clams. Not interested in that much labor/shell trash. For canned clams, should I use diced or minced? Particular brand? Also, tomatoes - whole that I smush, crushed, or diced? Might be reaching here, but if you have thoughts, I'd very much appreciate hearing them!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Manhattan Clam Chowder Recipe?

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:10 pm

Kim, all good questions ... I'm just tossing out a few thoughts here, and welcome others who want to tell me that I'm w- w- wrong. :)

First, since Manhattan clam chowder is what I'd call diner food (in a good way!) as opposed to fancy food, I think chopped canned clams would be fine. I've used the small cans from Lotsa Pasta for linguine with white clam sauce, and they're fine.

For tomatoes, definitely canned in winter, and for cooking in general, I like starting with whole peeled and chopping or smooshing as I need it. We love Red Gold brand, which is not at all artisanal but a regional (Northern Indiana) company that has always satisfied me. Always in stock at Kroger.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:24 pm

Thanks, Robin! I knew I could count on you! I know MH clam chowder is off most people's radar (including my husband's!), but I really like it, and have been wanting to try it at home. Kind of reminds me of a cheat on boulliabaisse or cioppino (a stretch, I realize, but enough to explain my madness, perhaps). Since I'll be heading to LOP next week at this recommendation anyway, what kind of polenta would you suggest? Plan to make it cheesy. Open to all input.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:06 am

Kim H wrote:what kind of polenta would you suggest? Plan to make it cheesy. Open to all input.

I'm going to admit my lack of polenta snobbery here, Kim: I always use Quaker yellow cornmeal to make polenta. :oops: I've eaten a fair amount of polenta in Northeastern Italy, and this hack works for me. Also, I stir the cornmeal and salt into cold water and then bring it up to heat, stirring occasionally at first and then more regularly as it comes to a boil. Turn way down and let it cook long enough to become polenta, and then stir in cheez if you like, and I do like.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:58 pm

Awesome advice, thanks again, Robin! :-)