Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Mashed potatoes

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Mashed potatoes

by Carla G » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:47 am

I know this is a simple question for those of you that cook more than I (as do many) but sometimes I just grow weary of my trial and error method and thought I would ask your (collectively) opinion.

I made simple, plain old mashed potatoes the other day using small yellow potatoes (like a Yukon Gold) and the potatoes turned out awful! Really gummy. Is there a rule of thumb for what kind of potato to use for mashed, fries, home fries, potato salad, soup, scalloped or whatever?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Mashed potatoes

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Before we look at the potatoes, Carla, how did you mash them? If by any chance you used a Cuisinart or other food processor, that's the problem. That approach makes 'em gummy for sure. Ideally, Idaho-type potatoes are the best bakers, but there's no reason Yukon Golds shouldn't work.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:22 pm

Just mashed them with a hand masher and a wee bit of half/half, butter, salt , pepper.
I normally use Idaho bakers and they usually work well. Maybe I over cooked them?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Yeah, I usually go for a russet over a waxy yellow. Boil, then mash with a splash of buttermilk and salt and pepper. I prefer to leave the skin on.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY