Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: "Sanctuary Restaurants" - an idea for Louisville?

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:This dumpster fire should've been locked six pages ago.

Check out what I wrote on the fifth page, Jeff. I don't like to lock threads, but I'm encouraging everyone to have a last word and then let it be voluntarily. Are you helping? ;)

I know you don't, and I almost encouraged you to do it anyway, six pages ago. I think locking it is the only way you're going to get some folks here to stop trying to have the last word (over and over again).
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:38 pm

I'm not sure why a conversation like this, confined to single thread that is easy to avoid, would bother anyone.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:53 pm

Steve H wrote:I'm not sure why a conversation like this, confined to single thread that is easy to avoid, would bother anyone.

I can see that point. I'm getting pretty bored, though. :twisted:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:55 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote: I think locking it is the only way you're going to get some folks here to stop trying to have the last word (over and over again).

:lol:

I hear ya, Jeff, although to be fair, I can kind of see Steve's point in his last post: If it's all one long thread, who is it hurting? If all the rest of us eventually get bored and drop out, it will be interesting at least to see how long Steve keeps going. :mrgreen:
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:03 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve H wrote:I'm not sure why a conversation like this, confined to single thread that is easy to avoid, would bother anyone.

I can see that point. I'm getting pretty bored, though. :twisted:

Boredom is usually how these things die. Rarely is it a violent death.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:27 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I hear ya, Jeff, although to be fair, I can kind of see Steve's point in his last post: If it's all one long thread, who is it hurting? If all the rest of us eventually get bored and drop out, it will be interesting at least to see how long Steve keeps going. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I see that point! But I've also been around internet forums long enough to see some slide downhill and turn people off by allowing an unhealthy, off-topic mud-slinging ethos to arise. Political discussion is the most common culprit. I don't think that's likely to happen here, as we share some common ties of locality that most forums don't, but signs of it still sets off warning bells in my head. :)
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:41 pm

User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:53 am

"....Sanctuary Restaurants, prominently displaying window signs that they are a safe place for undocumented immigrants, Blacks, Muslims, and the LGBTQ community."

On a practical level this seems pretty stupid. Of those four classes of people, one of them represents a violation of the law by employee, employer, or both. So if you're employing illegal immigrants, it seems pretty dumb to put up a sign advertising the fact and attracting the attention of the authorities. If I understand the ROC statement they are actually coaching both employers and employees on how to break the law. Personally I'm not down with that.

And 1.3 million illegals working in restaurants? That's a huge number. If I'm in charge (not that I'll ever be in charge) I'd be looking deport at least half that many and a similar number in construction and use the opportunity to offer employment to African-American youth (currently unemployed at somewhere between 35-50%) and I'd also release a whole bunch of the c.a. 400K young African American men incarcerated on petty, non-violent weed charges and give them jobs too.

Not that I know anything about the practicality of locating and deporting undocumented immigrants but if you could open up c.a. 1 million jobs for a demographic that's been getting the shaft since forever that would be a worthwhile solution.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:02 pm

Nope. Let's not bring this one back. Just nope.

:twisted:

In fact, I was reluctant to lock it on people when it was active, but I'm going to lock it now in order to deter a Zombie Apocalypse. Anyone who wants to talk about it is welcome to catch me via PM.
Previous