Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Ghyslain on Market Closing

by RonnieD » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:21 am

Via their facebook page, (https://www.facebook.com/GhyslainOnMarket/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf) Ghyslain on Market is closing Jan. 29 for good. The other two locations will continue. They cite incessant construction as the impediment to their continued success. Can't say I blame them, but sad to see them lose a great spot.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

Re: Ghyslain on Market Closing

by neal.johnson » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Or maybe their location isn't ideal. Hidden behind another building 40 yards off the sidewalk.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:30 pm

The Ghyslain on Market is not the best location in terms of parking and/or visibility. Love the one in Westport Village.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:42 pm

"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:The Ghyslain on Market is not the best location in terms of parking and/or visibility. Love the one in Westport Village.

I certainly agree that visibility of the location isn't that good but we've never had any problems parking there.
Gayle DeM wrote:According to Insider Louisville this is not a permanent closing: http://insiderlouisville.com/business/ghyslain-on-market-closing-for-more-than-a-year-amid-construction/

Reading that article thoroughly makes it sound like they will be reopening On Market after the hotel next door opens. It said that the main reason there closing is again because of Creation Gardens! Looks like Creation Gardens basically made them close so they could build a hotel next door. First they took away the public's ability to shop with them now they are forcing the closing of my well-liked restaurant.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:08 pm

I don't know. It may be a failing location. Last time I was there, about 3-4 weeks ago, I wondered if they were going out of business. They were out of many menu items and the cases and shelves looked pretty bare.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:09 am

Margie L wrote:I don't know. It may be a failing location. Last time I was there, about 3-4 weeks ago, I wondered if they were going out of business. They were out of many menu items and the cases and shelves looked pretty bare.

The construction and (temporary?) closing was reported back in July. They've known it was coming for a while, and it would have made sense to stop or scale back ordering new stock.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:37 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:The construction and (temporary?) closing was reported back in July. They've known it was coming for a while, and it would have made sense to stop or scale back ordering new stock.

Great. That makes sense. Thank you.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:19 pm

I hope they reopen. Their French dip sandwich is really good.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:29 pm

I can't imagine them waiting 18 months given their name recognition and market niche they fill. I wouldn't be surprised to see one opening somewhere else in town sooner than later.
James J. Natsis
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Maybe a bakery located downtown should consider opening sooner than 9 am. I can't imagine how much business they lost every weekday because downtown workers couldn't stop in on their way to the office.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:02 pm

They weren't really a (retail) bakery, and to my knowledge didn't promote themselves as such.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:22 pm

I thought they billed that side of the business as a chocolatier? On the other hand, Ghyslain reminds me a lot of Panera, so I could see people expecting them to keep Panera hours.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:44 pm

From their website:

"A new quick casual dining experience serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. There, you'll also find Ghyslain's chocolates, pastries and breads for purchase."

and, they have an entire section of the menu dedicated to "breakfast"

Maybe I am crazy, but I just think it is strange that they don't open until 9 am when they serve coffee, pastries, and breakfast downtown. They miss the opportunity to sell to thousands of commuters on their way into the office.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue May 09, 2017 3:19 pm

http://www.wdrb.com/story/35384232/ghys ... u-location

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Ghyslain at Westport Village has closed.

Owner Ghyslain Maurais says his French bistro closed Sunday, as they finished the Derby season. He says they never did very well at that location, which appeals to a dinner crowd versus the lunch the bistro served.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
Next