Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Best steak in Louisville?

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:19 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:If you really want dry-aged, I'd strongly urge calling both Ruby's and Le Moo to ask if they dry age! We don't go to steakhouses all that often, and while I know Ruby's WAS dry aged, I can't guarantee that's the practice today (that's what makes it quite expensive, as the weight shrinks as moisture evaporates with dry aging and with trimming any dried out edges); similarly, I just don't know what Le Moo does.

Le Moo does not, apparently, profess to offer either dry or wet-age steaks. They proclaim beef quality rather than aging, per the menu at the link. (Scroll down about a page to find the steak section.)

http://www.lemoorestaurant.com/food-menu
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:09 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Le Moo does not, apparently, profess to offer either dry or wet-age steaks. They proclaim beef quality rather than aging, per the menu at the link. (Scroll down about a page to find the steak section.)

http://www.lemoorestaurant.com/food-menu

I went to your link, and according to what I see on the menu the rib-eye and strip do come dry aged (look at the first group of 9 steaks under the initial listing for steaks!); similarly, almost all of Ruby's steaks (according to their menu) are dry aged.

It's interesting that it appears at a cursory glance that Ruby's is less expensive than Le Moo! For that, I'd go to Ruby's, especially with Rick Bartlett playing a jazz piano in the background.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:24 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:I went to your link, and according to what I see on the menu the rib-eye and strip do come dry aged (look at the first group of 9 steaks under the initial listing for steaks!);

Missed that. Thanks for the catch, Andrew. Small print, old eyes. :P

especially with Rick Bartlett playing a jazz piano in the background.

That's definitely a plus!
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:30 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
It's interesting that it appears at a cursory glance that Ruby's is less expensive than Le Moo! For that, I'd go to Ruby's, especially with Rick Bartlett playing a jazz piano in the background.

Le Moo's steaks come with one side. (although I wasn't impressed with the sides they offer) At Ruby's you have to pay for the sides, but they are large and sharable. So if you go with someone who likes the same things you do, you'll be fine, but if you have different tastes, you *may* be better off at Le Moo. (although I didn't do a side by side comparison on the types, sizes and quality of the steaks)
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:18 pm

Stoney River is our favorite - Great steaks, reasonable prices, excellent service...
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:45 am

Jack Fry's is my favorite. Love the steaks, love the atmosphere.
no avatar
User

amanda.rhye

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:30 pm

by amanda.rhye » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:22 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Welcome back to the forum and to town, Amanda! (Or do I remember that you go by Mandy?)

If you want access to all your old posts, I can fix you up with a new password if you like. If you don't save old stuff and would just as soon keep logging in with Facebook, that's okay too. Just let me know!

Yeah it's me :) I'm good with just using the facebook login, thank you!
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:22 pm

I have dined at both Jack Fry's and Del Frisco's, and was disappointed with both. I found both to be below-average steaks for the price, neither tasted of top notch quality and tenderness I expect at a fine steakhouse. Both were under-seasoned as well. Not to be snarky, but I could legitimately grab a decent steak at Kroger and easily surpass the flavors I experienced. Am I the only one?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Joni Lemke wrote:I have dined at both Jack Fry's and Del Frisco's, and was disappointed with both. I found both to be below-average steaks for the price, neither tasted of top notch quality and tenderness I expect at a fine steakhouse. Both were under-seasoned as well. Not to be snarky, but I could legitimately grab a decent steak at Kroger and easily surpass the flavors I experienced. Am I the only one?

I wasn't going to start the bad mouthing of any of the steak restaurants but since you already opened the subject.. Haven't had one at Jack Fry's but I certainly agree with what you said about Del Frisco's. Maybe it was just tonight we were there but because of that we haven't been back.
Last edited by Mark R. on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:52 pm

Mark R - let the flaming begin! At the expense of being snotty, I know i have good palate. I want to be blown away by flavor and texture if I'm paying top dollar for food. I can rock the heck out of a good steak at home, but expect to be impressed if i go to a true steakhouse and pay premium prices!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:30 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Joni Lemke wrote:I have dined at both Jack Fry's and Del Frisco's, and was disappointed with both. I found both to be below-average steaks for the price, neither tasted of top notch quality and tenderness I expect at a fine steakhouse. Both were under-seasoned as well. Not to be snarky, but I could legitimately grab a decent steak at Kroger and easily surpass the flavors I experienced. Am I the only one?

I wasn't going to start the bad mouthing of any of the steak restaurants but since you already opened the subject.. Haven't had one at Jack Fry's but I certainly agree with what you said about Del Frisco's. Maybe it was just tonight we were there but because of that we haven't been back.

Ditto this. I wasn't going to say anything because I wrote off my disenchantment with my last steak dinner to having lost my taste for meat after cutting 90% of my meat intake out of my regular diet. I dunno, but I haven't had a steak dinner out recently that I thought was worth the $ asked for it. Once upon a time I loved loved loved NY strips but lately, well, not so much. Maybe try one at home instead.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:58 pm

I can make a killer steak at home. Much better than most restaurant steaks I have had. A few memorable exceptions were Sperry's in Nashville (awesome prime rib!) and Hall's Chop House in Charleston. (over the top food, drinks and service...exceptional!)

I would really like to find something around here that compares to either of the above.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

amanda.rhye

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:30 pm

by amanda.rhye » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:40 pm

Wow I just found out that Jeff Ruby's offers a 20% discount to military active duty and veterans, that is definitely a point in the pro column for us! After I bugged him forever to get his paperwork for his veteran status Tom finally did for his new job and now I'm really happy about it :D
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:46 am

amanda.rhye wrote:Wow I just found out that Jeff Ruby's offers a 20% discount to military active duty and veterans, that is definitely a point in the pro column for us! After I bugged him forever to get his paperwork for his veteran status Tom finally did for his new job and now I'm really happy about it :D

On Veterans Day with an ID or a DD214 you can get free or greatly reduced price food all over town, from Mesh to Golden Corral and dozens of places in between! Don't lose that paperwork!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:03 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:
amanda.rhye wrote:Wow I just found out that Jeff Ruby's offers a 20% discount to military active duty and veterans, that is definitely a point in the pro column for us! After I bugged him forever to get his paperwork for his veteran status Tom finally did for his new job and now I'm really happy about it :D

On Veterans Day with an ID or a DD214 you can get free or greatly reduced price food all over town, from Mesh to Golden Corral and dozens of places in between! Don't lose that paperwork!
a lot of places - but perhaps not all - will now accept the "Veteran" designation on a KY driver's license as evidence of having served. take your DD214 and your license over to Boman Field and they'll put the "Veteran" thing on your license. It gets me -10% at Home Depot on all sales on all days.
PreviousNext