Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

amanda.rhye

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:30 pm

Best steak in Louisville?

by amanda.rhye » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:56 pm

Today is my hubby's birthday though unfortunately he is out of town working. In a couple of weeks I would love to plan a night out for him, and he is the ultimate steak loving guy :) As we have not been able to try any of the higher end restaurants for steak until now I really would appreciate some recommendations on what the best places to go are for a great steak dinner, no limits (well maybe that $200+ steak at Le Moo might be too ridiculous lol).
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

Re: Best steak in Louisville?

by neal.johnson » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Del Frisco's. The restaurant that time forgot and you will forget all about the decor once you see your steak served to you in sizzling molten butter.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:28 pm

I'm still trying to figure that out myself. I really like the steaks at Cast Iron Steakhouse, but...I don't know. I'm not sure I would go there for a special occasion.
I love the steaks at Pat's, but the sides are so uninspired that it kind of depresses me to go there.
I'm thinking of going to Le Moo for my birthday in February, but I'm still doing my homework, so I will keep a close eye on this discussion.
Please let us know where you end up going and what your thoughts are!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:36 pm

No question - Jeff Ruby's.

Go on a night the Robbie Bartlett is playing (9:00). Thank me later.

Brooklyn and the Butcher in New Albany is a close second.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:03 pm

Brooklyn and the Butcher is definitely worthy, and they keep up the quality with everything, not just the steaks. We were pretty happy with Le Moo also. And Del Frisco's.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:11 pm

If you just want a great steak, then yeah, Ruby's is fine, but like the criticism of Pat's, the sides at Ruby's are less than an afterthought.

Del Frisco's is probably still the best for my money, but I've not been "out for steak" in a long time, so I'm open to new suggestions as well. But yeah, Del Frisco's is a time machine.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:15 pm

I think I would put Brooklyn and the Butcher in first and Le Moo 2nd. Jeff Ruby's has good steaks I really don't like the atmosphere there. Del Frisco's is also very good. We used to like Zs but haven't been there in a long time, not quite sure why, will have to put it on the list. We also have been to Pat's in a long time.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Concur with Ruby's. I believe it is still the only dry aged steak in the city, and that really makes a noticeable difference. And, if you go when Bartlett is playing - as suggested - then the volume will be perfect!

I still also Iike Morton's, and dislike Ruth's Criss (the 800 degree plate insures your steak will be well done by the time you finish), and if they aren't slammed Eddie Merlot's and Z's aren't too far behind, but for the best beef in a supper club environment nothing surpasses Ruby's.
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:16 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:Concur with Ruby's. I believe it is still the only dry aged steak in the city, and that really makes a noticeable difference.

I thought that the steaks at Morton's were dry aged?
Ruth's Chris (the 800 degree plate insures your steak will be well done by the time you finish)

I certainly agree, I never really did see the reasoning they do this. To me a steak is ruined if it's cooked past medium rare and it's almost impossible to get one that way there.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:22 pm

It used to be the ribeye with chimichurri at Palermo.

Still not over them closing, in case you can't tell.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:51 pm

Mark R. wrote:I thought that the steaks at Morton's were dry aged?
[/quote]

As of a few years ago they were wet aged....Very good, but not the same as dry. Remember, many don't like dry aging, as it's a stronger flavored almost "minerally" taste, but I love it. Morton's was bought by Landry's a year or two ago, and while I know they made changes I don't know if that involved dry aging or not.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

amanda.rhye

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:30 pm

by amanda.rhye » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Thanks for the great suggestions guys, I knew I would get them here! Thank goodness for the facebook login option, it has been so long since I've posted on here that I forgot my old password! It makes sense now about Morton's that the ownership changed, I had heard good things in the past but they have had so many bad reviews posted online lately that I had crossed them off my list. A big part of the decision will be factored on if we can get a sitter that night now that I think of it, half of these places come off as family friendly but I can't picture taking our 4 year old to Jeff Ruby's or even Le Moo. The dh has always wanted to try dry aged and for this occasion we are willing to put out the money so Jeff Ruby's it may be. Any opinions on Ruby's vs Le Moo? In any case I think everyone just made our steakhouse bucket list for Louisville!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:31 pm

amanda.rhye wrote:Any opinions on Ruby's vs Le Moo? In any case I think everyone just made our steakhouse bucket list for Louisville!

They both have good steaks. Ruby's is more of a traditional steakhouse decor. Le Moo is a fun, wacky makeover of KT's, more unique. They're both expensive, but Ruby's may be a little more so. Jeff Ruby comes from the Cincinnati area and has a couple of shops up there, so it's not quite local, although he's certainly active in the community here (and famous for denying service to OJ Simpson). Kevin Grangier, the proprietor of Le Moo (and also Village Anchor in Anchorage) is a good guy.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:32 pm

amanda.rhye wrote:Thank goodness for the facebook login option, it has been so long since I've posted on here that I forgot my old password!

Welcome back to the forum and to town, Amanda! (Or do I remember that you go by Mandy?)

If you want access to all your old posts, I can fix you up with a new password if you like. If you don't save old stuff and would just as soon keep logging in with Facebook, that's okay too. Just let me know!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:15 pm

If you really want dry-aged, I'd strongly urge calling both Ruby's and Le Moo to ask if they dry age! We don't go to steakhouses all that often, and while I know Ruby's WAS dry aged, I can't guarantee that's the practice today (that's what makes it quite expensive, as the weight shrinks as moisture evaporates with dry aging and with trimming any dried out edges); similarly, I just don't know what Le Moo does.
Andrew Mellman
Next