Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

The Eagle

User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

The Eagle

by Mark R. » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:23 pm

According to insider Louisville, the Eagle restaurant which is opening where El Camino used to be will open Tuesday on election day. Here's the article: http://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle_ ... the-eagle/

Obviously I'm missing something about how economics work in the restaurant industry. How can you buy the building, spend $1 million renovating and make money when you're basically selling beer and fried chicken? Unless your prices are ridiculously high it doesn't sound like a moneymaking proposition. Of course their online menu doesn't have prices so it's hard to tell.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: The Eagle

by SilvioM » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:37 pm

In Cincy, 1/4 and 1/2 chickens (Amish raised), along with their sandwich choices, are $9 or less. The sides are between $3-$5. The beer list is long and, like HopCat, runs a bit on the high side. I guess they are counting on volume sales.

https://www.zomato.com/cincinnati/the-e ... enu#tabtop
no avatar
User

Harry Dennery

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:59 pm

by Harry Dennery » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:44 pm

1/4 chicken, white or dark, is $7 and half chicken is $10. My side kick is a dark person and I am a white so we obviously went for the half and split the order. Side were around $6. Service was fine last night. My suggestion was that getting the quite tart fresh lemonade in the same red glass as the water made it a bit confusing. We liked the Cornbread, didn't care for the Tabasco infused Honey for the Chicken and thought the chicken was a bit greasy. They will need volume.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:17 am

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:09 am

Harry Dennery wrote: My side kick is a dark person and I am a white so we obviously went for the half and split the order..

Lol. Wow.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:46 pm

Harry Dennery wrote: My side kick is a dark person and I am a white so we obviously went for the half and split the order.

:shock: :lol:
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:00 pm

Ha! Harry's been in the chicken business so long he's completely oblivious to any racial undertones you silly folks are responding to! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Harry Dennery

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:59 pm

by Harry Dennery » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:17 pm

Ronnie, you are so right. Never occurred to this chicken salesperson that I would be misunderstood. On the other hand, this has been a life long problem for me.

If you were offended, I apologize. I was only talking about Terra liking dark meat and me liking white meat.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:37 pm

Harry Dennery wrote:Ronnie, you are so right. Never occurred to this chicken salesperson that I would be misunderstood. On the other hand, this has been a life long problem for me.

If you were offended, I apologize. I was only talking about Terra liking dark meat and me liking white meat.

I doubt that anyone was offended. It was funny.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:42 am

Those of us who like chicken - got it. Otherwise, I can't believe anyone would be insulted. Just something to laugh at, right?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:22 pm

I didn't even notice the racial thing. The only thing I thought was,
"Well, if anyone knows chicken it's Henry Dennery."
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:41 pm

That was, as the kids say, adorbs.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:54 am

I really liked this, by the way. I thought almost everything we had, which was essentially half of the menu between the four of us, was above average worst, with most of it being very good. The chicken I can see being a divider -- it's how I like my chicken, but know it isn't what some people expect when they think of fried chicken. The sides were all excellent, though the bacon appetizer was the one thing that seemed to get some negative reviews from our table (fwiw, I thought it was also really good, but thick molasses sauce put everyone else off). The grits appetizer was probably the best received thing for everyone.

I am unsure what some of the public reviews about "pricing" were about. It was more than reasonably priced, especially for Bardstown Road.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:16 pm

We went last night and all in our party of four thought it was great. The chicken was flavorful and very well cooked and all of our extra (fries, mac, biscuits, salads) were very good. I had the fried chicken sandwich ($9) and it was huge and excellent, covered in slaw and sauce which was tasty, though the vinegar in the slaw masked the rest of the ingredients a tad. Also, the place looks great. The layout is similar to El Camino, but the decor is completely new and appealing. It will be a regular in our rotation.

I'm not sure what the pricing complaints were that Adam referenced, but we had three quarters, a sandwich, three shareable sides, two salads, and two beers for $67. Compared to the other good restaurants nearby, it's a very competitive.

Sidenote: After having the dreadful "candied bacon" at Superchefs (review: meh), I avoided the molasses version here. If coating an already good product with a sweet concoction is a trend, I hope it ends soon.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:02 pm

SilvioM wrote:Sidenote: After having the dreadful "candied bacon" at Superchefs (review: meh), I avoided the molasses version here. If coating an already good product with a sweet concoction is a trend, I hope it ends soon.

I had dinner at The Eagle, earlier this evening, and was eager to try the bacon appetizer. It was tasty, and the hint of cayenne was nice, but it was basically just bacon dredged in syrup. I was expecting something brown sugar encrusted, and crunchy, which it was not.