Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Clay Oven

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Clay Oven

by Carla G » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:46 pm

-on Shelbyville Rd in Middletown next door to Kroger.

Found myself out that way and hungry so I thought I'd give it a try. Very pretty, bright, airy and clean place. I was there early in the evening (around 6 pm) and while there weren't many tables filled the phone rang non-stop with carry out orders. I can see why.

I know next to nothing about Indian food. Mostly I read the entree descriptions and avoid the listings that contained some food allergies I have. Wound up with Chicken Mo:mo. It was lovely! Served with a flat, crisp spiced cracker bread and two little pots of "sauces" , one red with onions and a bit sweet, the other bright green and the consistency of applesauce and very aromatic. They were both so tasty! (I thought it was cucumber but learned it was made from cilantro. I normally don't like cilantro. It would seem my problem with it is I'm not consuming enough of it at a time to really appreciate it because that green stuff was the bomb!)

The entree itself consisted of 10 ground chicken filled dumplings, steamed and seasoned served with another red sauce. Wonderful stuff. I asked what it was and the server (an elderly man I took to be the owner) was a bit coy in telling me. A small patch of lettuce, cucumber and sliced carrot came with it. I'm sure some could have eaten all 10 dumplings but they were sizable and so I'll have a lovely lunch tomorrow. My sizable entree and a Kingfisher beer cane to a meer $15.
Great stuff. I'll be back.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Clay Oven

by James Natsis » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:12 pm

I've stopped by numerous times since they opened. I've never had dinner there but their buffet is on par with most other Indian buffets in the area. I was never disappointed.
James J. Natsis
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:04 am

I've been for dinner several times - usually fairly busy, good service, I think very high quality food.
no avatar
User

Susan Mann

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:53 pm

by Susan Mann » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:19 pm

We have enjoyed very good dinners at Clay Oven. The restaurant has never received much press, unfortunately.
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:07 am

CHICKEN MO:MO: (10pcs).......................$10.95

Typical Nepali style Chicken dumplings with fresh coriander, ginger and garlic, steamed and served with home-made achar and
house salad

http://www.clayovenlouisville.com/nepali-kitchen
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:38 am

Susan Mann wrote:We have enjoyed very good dinners at Clay Oven. The restaurant has never received much press, unfortunately.

I gave them a very favorable review, based mostly on the buffet lunch, not long after they opened about three years ago ...
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/clay- ... an-goodies
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:46 pm

We ended up there Christmas evening...just drove down Shelbyville Road until we saw something open. The food was excellent and plentiful. I had Chicken Tikka and Rosemary Naan. Service was pleasant and not rushed, even though they had a full house. I'll go back and explore the menu a bit more.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:50 pm

Thanks for the report, Margie! I like Clay Oven, but with so many good Indian restaurants around, it's a little off the beaten path for me. I ought to get back out there.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:43 am

Clay Oven has been a favorite since it opened! Very much enjoy the lunch buffet, and dinner service is excellent!

In my estimation, it's an under appreciated star on the scene.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.