Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Road Trip

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

Road Trip

by Madeline Peters » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:27 am

Mark and I moved from Seattle six years ago! I can't believe how fast the time has flown. One of the things we want to do is discover the area around us. Can anyone suggest several, must do, weekend road trips? We have been to Asheville and French Lick.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Road Trip

by JustinHammond » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:23 am

Madeline Peters wrote:Mark and I moved from Seattle six years ago! I can't believe how fast the time has flown. One of the things we want to do is discover the area around us. Can anyone suggest several, must do, weekend road trips? We have been to Asheville and French Lick.

St Louis
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1opUZ- ... sp=sharing

Nashville

Chicago
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=e ... MtkQfN8HMw

Cincinnati or Cincinnati/Columbus combo
Last edited by JustinHammond on Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:07 am

JustinHammond wrote:St Louis
Nashville
Chicago

All doable for weekends, good advice. Closer by, Shakertown at Pleasant Hill can make for a peaceful weekend getaway. The restaurant on the premises has shed some of the authentic 19th century Shaker cuisine and gone more bistro-ward, but it's still a beautiful setting with decent fare - and, after many dry years, a full liquor license. :)
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/shake ... le-getaway

Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky is another possibility. There's a first-rate aquarium in Newport, on the Kentucky side, and lots to do in Cincy, not to mention IKEA, Jungle Jim's, and a little time spent walking around Mount Adams, an urban neighborhood that feels a little more like San Francisco than Cincinnati should.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:13 am

I second Shakertown- it's a great place to stay for a night. Make sure you take the boat ride offered on the KY River,we saw egrets and a bear last time we took the ride.

My next short trip will be up to Brown County IN, I'll probably also go to Columbus IN with it's amazing mid-century architecture and French Lick to take in the sights.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:41 pm

There are some really good trips in KY.

Go to Berea, stay at Boone tavern, buy art at the Kentucky Artisan Center.

Harrodsburg: stay and eat at Beaumont Inn. Fried chicken and extensive bourbon list. Great breakfast too.

Eastern Kentucky: Red River Gorge & Natural Bridge, Breaks Interstate State park, Jenny Wiley state park.

Land Between the Lakes (Kentucky Lake), also worth visiting Paducah while down there.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:47 am

I can second a trip to Berea and the Artisan Center. Stay at Boone Tavern but look elsewhere for dining.
Brown County Indiana is wonderful for a weekend. We always stay with the nice folks at Robinwood Inn, rent one of their beautifully decorated cabins with a hot tub. Eating up there offers some pretty good options as well. The Hob Knob used to just be a country store , down home cooking venue but has gotten considerably more interesting and can even offer gluten free meals. The Story Inn was excellent.

Even closer is Bernheim Forrest . Great for hiking . No lodging there but you could stay overnight in Bardstown, tour some distilleries maybe catch the dinner train. (Although I can't speak to the culinary offerings on the train, the trip itself used to be real pretty. )
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:29 am

Thank you for all your suggestions. We have been to Shakertown and drove by the inn. I loved it! We are planning an overnight at The Story Inn with dinner. I will report back!