Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Mushroom Powder Dosage

User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

Mushroom Powder Dosage

by Ray Griffith » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:08 pm

Request to access the collective.

I am making veggie burgers with lentils, quinoa, carrots, egg, sunflower seeds etc. I once read that I can process dried mushrooms to a powder to add an umami component. So, I did. However, I have no experience with this. I have about 24 ounces of the veggie burger mix. Do I need to be cautious as to how much I add to the mix? If so, how much? Or, should I just sprinkle it on the cooked patties? Or both?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Mushroom Powder Dosage

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:23 pm

Ray, I've done some Googling since we talked on the HotBytes Facebook page, and it's really hard to get specifics. I think my instinct to use it in small quantities because of its flavor power was good, though. Just about all the reputable looking articles I get seem to want to use it as a condiment. Generously, if you like it, but still, not something you'd put in by the cup.

Here's the estimable Kenji Lopez-Alt at Serious Eats with a short rumination:
http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2013/04 ... -into.html
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:39 pm

Thank you, Robin.

I powered through the fact that it was a mixture involving raw eggs and took your advice to taste as I go along. You're correct that it's potent. I only went with a couple of teaspoons and it was definitely noticeable.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:07 pm

As long as you're using local eggs, even from one of the regional producers like Chelsea's or Organic Acres or Ridge Farm, Ray, you should be fine with a little taste of raw egg. Really, your odds aren't bad (three Skittles? :mrgreen: ) with industrially farmed eggs, but your chances of salmonella do go up with the factory farmed stuff.