Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Car insurance ... looking for a better deal

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:00 am

Okay, our insurance bill for our second car just came, and it's $600 for six months. This is for an 8-year-old compact hatchback that's driven about 1,200 miles per year by two drivers with records clean of accidents or violations. Can we do better? Much better? Who should we call?
User

Jean P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:46 pm

Re: Car insurance ... looking for a better deal

by Jean P » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:40 am

Robin,
We went through this a couple of years ago and ended up going to KY Farm Bureau. In fact, they bundled our car insurance, homeowners, personal liability, for a much better cost than we were paying for all of them all together. We've been pleased with them so far.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:12 pm

Thanks, Jean! Lots of options out there. I guess we'd just stuck with our old insurance for a long time - and the agent is a nice guy - but costs had risen to about double what they should be.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Okay, our insurance bill for our second car just came, and it's $600 for six months. This is for an 8-year-old compact hatchback that's driven about 1,200 miles per year by two drivers with records clean of accidents or violations. Can we do better? Much better? Who should we call?

Robin - You're a veteran, so I highly-highly-highly-highly (that's 4 highly s) recommend USAA. After being with Allstate for over 30 years - they finally pissed me off one too many times and (like you) I started shopping around. The quote I got from USAA was -around- 40% less than what I was paying at Allstate - even after I went to a $200 deductible (down from $500 with Allstate). I now have all of my insurance (auto, home and umbrella) as well as my savings and credit card with USAA and I could not be any more pleased with the customer service - it's five stars.

Note - USAA is the number one rated auto insurance by Consumer Reports (score - 93), they are the number 2 rated company for homeowners insurance (score 92) AND they are the number 1 (online) bank (score 95)...The nearest "brick and mortar" bank (Chase) scored an 81. So yeah, they're THAT good.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio