Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

La Cocina de Mama Hurstbourne!

User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

La Cocina de Mama Hurstbourne!

by Mary Anne » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:25 pm

I am embarrassed to admit it has taken me a few months to check out this little gem in the strip mall across from Zachary Taylor Elementary School at Hurstbourne and Westport Rd...I live about a spit away, but I won't be slow in going back. I just nipped in today for lunch. House salsa is not blazing hot but very fresh and flavorful, plenty of cilantro. Fresh chips, needed a little salt, but that is doable. Menu is pretty extensive. I got the Carne Asada Burrito, all beans no rice. My lunch pal got Chicken Flautas all rice no beans. Beautiful presentation and the food was delicious. My carne asada was smoky and tender, refried beans were exactly as I like them. Plenty of salsa to dump on everything (give me a break, I'm a condimenty girl!). Lunch pal declared her food delicious too, rice was flavorful and plentiful. Total for both of us together was around $16. They've got an tortas, a gluten free section, and an extensive seafood selection. This location has never been lucky for restaurants, I hope they have broken the curse, this is good food!
salsa.jpg
salsa.jpg (155.82 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
Flautas.jpg
Flautas.jpg (101.33 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
carneasadaburrito.jpg
carneasadaburrito.jpg (106.92 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: La Cocina de Mama Hurstbourne!

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:05 pm

Dang! I work (some days) even closer than you do, but I come out from town and never go on to the light at Hurstbourne to make that turn! :oops: I think I have a plan now for lunch Thursday ...
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mary Anne » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:09 pm

I live down the hill at Whipps Mill and Hurstbourne. Embarrassingly close and I've been zooming by it for a few months. They seemed to have a pretty good lunch crowd, but it's a small place. Kind of reminds me of Mojitos in decor, mini Mojitos! I'll be eager to hear what you think, Robin. I am already planning a return trip. :D
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:58 am

Geez - five minutes from my office and had no idea it was there. Thanks for the heads up.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mary Anne » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:53 pm

And like magic, in today's ValPak delivery are coupons to La Cocina de Mama!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun May 15, 2016 4:13 pm

I finally got out there today for lunch.
Oh my oh my oh my!
Chips were good, thin, warm, crisp and not greasy. Salsa was good, nothing notable about it except a bit of creeping heat that was a bit of a surprise. I ordered mole' French fries which were great! The mole' had a bit more of a chocolate rounding to it and there was an added drizzle of sour cream over the top. My advice however would be to eat them while they are still very hot. After they cooled off they lost a bit of their charm but as an appetizer they were excellent!

I also ordered the 7 Mares soup. A tomato based fish soup that was quite hearty. Big chunks of some sort of larger flaked fish along with shrimp, scallops, octopus, (fake) crab, an oyster or two, and calamari. Seriously wonderful despite the fake crab. There was maybe four small chunks of potatoes and a couple pieces of carrots but the rest was thick with seafood. Perhaps the best broth I've ever had in a soup. It was served with four thick slices of buttered and toasted bread. The bread was ok but it was a bit sweet and just didn't jive with the soup. A piece of sour dough would have been much better. Still, I polished off that soup and am already making plans for a return visit. This place is so much better than our other local Mexican chains like El Nopal which recently have just become kind of ...blah.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun May 15, 2016 4:15 pm

I can't believe that I'm right around the corner from there several times a week, but I still haven't been yet. :oops: I went with a friend right after it opened, and the power failed right after we came in the door. I was afraid we were the jinx. :mrgreen:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun May 15, 2016 5:02 pm

Well, they have recovered nicely! :D
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun May 15, 2016 5:51 pm

We've been there several times in the last month, not really sure why it took us so long to discover the place considering how close it is to our house! They have great food, much better than the average generic Mexican restaurants we have around town and their servers are very friendly and courteous. Pricing is pretty much in line with all the others but the food is of better quality and the atmosphere is much more enjoyable.
Last edited by Mark R. on Sun May 15, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mary Anne » Sun May 15, 2016 7:18 pm

It is my go-to for Mexican food, always consistently good, no matter what time of day or night I wander in. You need to go, Robin!
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sun May 15, 2016 7:35 pm

Less than 3 miles from me. I need to get there in short order. More and more options opening up in the area around where I reside.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun May 15, 2016 8:19 pm

A definitely higher-quality presentation than most in this part of town - differentiated significantly from the multi-location Mexican restaurants so prolific in the city. Can't say I've warmed up enough to go regularly, but the potential is certainly there. Holler at me sometime Robin, and we'll meet for lunch.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Thu May 26, 2016 3:23 pm

Finally got over to Mama's today for lunch. Been planning all week to hit it for lunch before going to pick-up my first ever online order with Kroger.

The smallish dining room was nicely decorated with all tables...no booths...yes! Us plus sized guys do not like booths!

I frequent the nearby El Nopal 3-4 times a month, almost always getting the luncheon chicken fajita. Mama's also had a luncheon fajita priced very similarly at $7.99 (or so it seemed)...small note on the menu that they charge for all additional items. So this was setting up for a good comparison experiment.

The obligatory chips and salsa was on par with all others (nothing to write home about), and the salsa needed some extra kick which was supplied by a requested bottle of hot sauce.

The presentation of my fajitas, and the other entrees I saw being served, was a notch or two above the El Nopal standard, but the testing point for me was flavor. The actual meal I received was flavorful, but was missing the side condiments I was used to receiving elsewhere...sour cream, guac, pico de gallo, and lettuce. Without these items the overall flavor was 2 notches below my anticipation level...just gotta have those little sides to complete the fajitas. I did request a side of sour cream, but at $1 ( for about a tablespoon) I did not feel like spending and extra 50% of the entree price to get them!

I went away satisfied, but dollar for dollar will probably go back to El Nopal for the luncheon fajitas.

Total bill before tax was $11.48, with tip and tax an even $15.00.

Now the story about the on-line Kroger order is a much happier one...but that is for another thread!