Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Brown County Indiana

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Brown County Indiana

by Carla G » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:57 am

Going up to Brown Co for some much needed R&R. Any interesting restaurants there? Something other than the Cracker Barrel mentality. What about The Story Inn? Anybody tried it?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Brown County Indiana

by RichardM » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:15 am

Carla G wrote:Going up to Brown Co for some much needed R&R. Any interesting restaurants there? Something other than the Cracker Barrel mentality. What about The Story Inn? Anybody tried it?

We love Brown County. There are so many good places to eat. I can walk to four of them in my mind instantly and have no idea the names. Best coffee shop and the restaurant at the B&B are excellent. Big Woods Brewing Company
60 Molly Lane, Nashville, IN, 47448......FRIED BISCUITS HERE: Nashville House
Corner of Main and Van Buren Street, Nashville, IN, 47448....

AWESOME: Artists Colony Inn and Restaurant
105 South Van Buren Street, Nashville, IN, 47448
directions
800.737.0255 / 812.988.0600
http://www.artistscolonyinn.com/
Charming Inn in the heart of Nashville, 20 guest rooms, 3 suites with whirlpool tubs and complimentary breakfast.
We went up there one Thanksgiving and it was fantastic. Second only to the Ritz Carlton in Naples FL and about 1/5 the price.

Can I go? Please.

Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:17 am

There are several decent options. We like the Hobnob for sandwiches, Big Woods Brewing for pub food and the Artist's Colony for dinner. We used to love the Nashville House, but the last time we were there, it was not as good and expensive for what you got. There is a place called Darlene's in the Hotel Nashville that has a nice dinner, prices good. There is a coffee shop who's name escapes me next to the Schwab's Fudge Shop off Van Buren that has good sandwiches and pastries. The Nashville General Store is where you need to get fried biscuits. Buy a box to nibble as you browse the shops. Both the wineries have sampling.

We have not been to the Story Inn yet, but the locals recommended it when we were last there.

The Ordinary was one of our favorites, but it closed and is a sports bar now.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:48 am

Thank you thank you
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:30 am

Just to follow up -
We wound up taking much of our food, some real nice cheeses and a couple of nice bottles of wine, so we really only had a couple meals out. We visited the Hob Knob for a great breakfast. Offerings were limited but very well done and they did not even blink when told one of the diners had Celiac's. They knew exactly what that entailed and delivered without missing a beat. They bake all their own bread now too. Had dinner at the Artist Colony which was good if not exciting. Returned to The Hob Knob for another meal that was great. (Duck with ginger and orange! Yum!) It would seem they have a rather serious chef there now that's bringing a whole new dimension to the formerly Cracker Barrel -esque persona. I was quite pleased.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:55 am

Carla G wrote: It would seem they have a rather serious chef there now that's bringing a whole new dimension to the formerly Cracker Barrel -esque persona. I was quite pleased.

Road Trip! :mrgreen:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:14 am

Finally got around to trying The Story Inn found at the elbow of Brown County State Park. Dined there on Thanksgiving Day so the menu was set with entree choices of either turkey, ham or vegatable lasagna. Served with herbed mash potatoes, dressing, cranberry compote, pole beans and choice of dessert. Everything is made in house from locally sourced farms. While the menu was pretty traditional it was all prepared expertly. As if dining at the home of an excellent cook. Nothing trendy or cutting edge, just well done. ( which is what I was looking for for Thanksgiving.) I had pecan pie for dessert. In my opinion an in house made pecan pie is a good way to rate a chef's skill. (Not as easy to make as you might think.) this pie was the best I've ever had. Really fine. Service was very good. Price was $35 a head. Given the quality of the ingredients and preparation I thought it was very reasonable.

http://www.storyinn.com/restaurant-winter-hours
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Sat May 14, 2016 7:45 am

We celebrated Valentines Day the week after the big day by renting an old cabin and dining at Story Inn. My filet was divine, and my husband loved his meal as well. I was very impressed!