Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: How hot? That hot. They’ll tell you no lies at A Taste o

by Doogy R » Mon May 09, 2016 4:42 pm

Carla G wrote:I'm so happy you enjoyed it! They really are nice people.
(Seriously though, visit the grocery store and try a Goya Ginger Beer. If you like hot I think you might enjoy it.)

Carla, I drove out there last night just to check out the grocery. I picked up a couple bottles of the ginger beer along with a few other items. I'm trying the beer right now and am not getting the heat. I do enjoy the flavor a lot so I will be picking up more anytime I'm out that way. Another taste treat out that way are the homemade potato chips at the Five Star right by I-71.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon May 09, 2016 8:01 pm

Wow! Was it a Goya ginger beer? And no heat for you? Well sir, I hate having you go out there for a little payoff. I thought sure it would be a special treat for you. :( sorry!
I will have to try the homemade chips!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Mon May 09, 2016 8:34 pm

Carla G wrote:Wow! Was it a Goya ginger beer? And no heat for you? Well sir, I hate having you go out there for a little payoff. I thought sure it would be a special treat for you. :( sorry!
I will have to try the homemade chips!

Yes, it absolutely was the Goya Ginger Beer. Don't worry about anything. I really like the bold ginger taste of it. And the place is a mere 5 or 6 miles from me. I live almost to Oldham county. As I said, anytime I'm out that way I'll pick up some more. When you try those chips let me know what you think.

P.S. I just google mapped it and I am 4.9 miles away.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:03 pm

Has anyone been out here recently?
My last two trips in were...uh...disappointing.
I really loved it when it first opened but these two trips were not so great. I've had a cold, maybe it was that? Service was still real attentive but whoever was in the kitchen was different maybe.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:31 pm

Carla G wrote:Has anyone been out here recently?
My last two trips in were...uh...disappointing.
I really loved it when it first opened but these two trips were not so great. I've had a cold, maybe it was that? Service was still real attentive but whoever was in the kitchen was different maybe.

Our last trip there (November-ish) was under whelming - which was a shame because they are one of the -very- few restaurants around the area that (we feel) can be trusted to provide honest to God gluten free offerings. Might try them again soon.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:34 pm

I just had a conversation with a friend who was there today and had larb and a couple of curries. She said they were great, and appropriately (woohoo!) spicy for No. 2 as ordered.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I just had a conversation with a friend who was there today and had larb and a couple of curries. She said they were great, and appropriately (woohoo!) spicy for No. 2 as ordered.

I usually get #1 for heat because my gut simply can't tolerate much more. This time there was absolutely no heat at all. I can overlook that thinking they don't want to overheat the dish. But the pad tai was simply gloopy. Like it was all cornstarch and water. There was no "taste" to it at all. I really think the usual cook must have been out. I'm not giving up on them yet.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:10 pm

I had forgotten that my lovely bride was volunteering at the RMcD-House tonight and that I would be on my own for dinner - So I popped in for some Pineapple fried rice with beef. Service was excellent, beer was cold, music sound track was great (Van Morrison) and my meal was well prepared, flavorful and seasoned with just the right amount of heat. Two thumbs up.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:15 am

Thanks Steve! So very happy to hear that! I'm going to chalk up my two less than stellar meals to the B Team being in the kitchen. It happens. I'll try them again later. (And pineapple fried rice sounds like something I need to try.) :D
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:03 pm

A Taste of Thai is still putting out amazing Thai food in the faraway land of Crestwood. My accountant is out there and I couldn't resist getting some takeout after dropping off my documents. Red Curry with pineapple is out of this world good. Got an order of Larb to eat later. As I remembered, level one heat had me sweating like a whore in church. Delicious! These guys are awesome and they aren't playing... https://www.facebook.com/darwincotton1960/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Mary Anne wrote:A Taste of Thai is still putting out amazing Thai food in the faraway land of Crestwood.

It's funny how two of the best Thai places in the region are located in the outer reaches - Taste of Thai in Crestwood and Tan Thai in northern New Albany.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:58 pm

This place has been up and down since it opened. We were moderately impressed the first 2 or 3 times we visited - But in the past year things have gone WAY down hill. We've been there 3x since Thanksgiving and each and every time service has been somewhere between terrible and biblically horrible. The servers are rank amateurs and are pretty much clueless. Throw in the fact that if they get any more than 3 or 4 tables at one time the kitchen is up for grabs and confusion reins supreme. All of this is unfortunate because the food remains pretty good - If you happen to be lucky enough to have it come out of the kitchen hot and in a timely manner.

Personally, we won't be going back.
Previous