Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

shady lane cafe

no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

shady lane cafe

by Susanne Smith » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:40 am

Just a little bit from a quite interesting article....

Shady Lane Cafe

" My visit to the Shady Lane Cafe, where Bill and Susi Smith create their Burger Art resulted in an amazing discovery. At this small corner cafe, I experienced the the most memorable of my 48 burger joint visits. And it's the first place to which I will return if I ever repeat my Burger Bike Ride!

Quoted from Kirk Alliman, a biking enthusiast/burger aficionado who hit the road on his bike in search of the commonwealths best burgers. His article is featured in the May issue of "Kentucky Monthly" We were also featured in his side article, Burger Superlatives" under "Burger Joint experience most worth the bike ride" and dearest Susi made her appearance as, "Most Welcoming and entertaining counter person. Way to go, girl. Great article. And many thanks to Kirk, who traversed the Commonwealth on his bike for this interesting and unique journey. We are honored. Many other Louisville Burger Places were kindly mentioned as well. Bravo. Grind and Bunz were also mentioned favorably, as were quite a few places out in the state that I had never heard of of before. Worth a read.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: shady lane cafe

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:53 am

That's great, Bill, and well-deserved! Do you have a link to the story online? Chef Google wouldn't serve it up to me.

By the way, Mary said she and her friends had a great time over there the other day, as usual.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:51 pm

http://www.kentuckymonthly.com/food/featured/biking-for-burgers/

hope this links works....Ky Monthly and the PBS show Kentucky Life are two very lovely views of the state that are overlooked. Excellent job of showcasing what can be a beautiful state.

Ellen
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:33 pm

The link worked just fine, Ellen. Thanks!
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:10 pm

I admit this with great shame, but the wife and I paid our inaugural visit to Shady Lane last night. I know, I know. :oops:

What saddens me more is to think of the calendars full of meals lost due to our sluggishness. Tragedy I tell you. Bill and Susi cannot be more welcoming and amazing people. It was like we had been invited to their home for a meal. And oh what a meal. My wife went with the original Burger because, honestly, that's just what you do on your first visit. It guarantees many returns. The burger was perfect, as advertised. I'll not waste words trying to describe it, but suffice it to say that when you imagine what you want a burger to be, this is what you are thinking of. Get it fully dressed, anything less is an insult. Since the wife was getting the burger and I was guaranteed to get at least a bite, I went with the Meatloaf Sandwich (despite eyeing that Reuben and several other menu choices really, really hard) with potato salad. I'll get to the meatloaf in a second, but let me say a couple of words about this potato salad. Dear lord. I want to find the bowl they keep it in and find it's bottom, slowly. (By stark and horrible contrast, we picked up a tub of Meijer red potato salad today for an impromptu grill session. brrrrr :cry: ) Now about this meatloaf. My wife makes a mean loaf of three meats herself, but we both had to agree that Shady Lane's sandwich was of the highest quality. I'm not sure, but I could swear there was some lamb in there. The sandwich is served with Henry Bain sauce, but honestly, it doesn't need it. The grilled onions on top provide all the extra love you need. (I dipped my chips in the Bain, sorry Henry).

So we are smitten. The hype is real. Don't be like us, don't wait, go. Go as soon as you can. Stand outside the door until they are open again. Do it. We're very excited to go back for Saturday breakfast very soon and see many, many satisfied returns in our future. I'm only sorry we waited this long. There is something wrong with us.

Thank you Bill and Susi!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:52 am

Best. Review. Ever. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:14 pm

I heart Shady Lane
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:55 am

Ronnie's review made me crave a SLC burger. So...I had one yesterday. Awesome!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:56 pm

Thank you, Thank you, to Ronnie and Robin, and all of you who have supported us over the last eleven years. Damn, this business is hard. But I knew that going in, and we have been able to have a place where all are welcome, any shade and walk of life. It has been our honor to serve each and every one of you over the last ten years and counting. Peace to you all. We are humbled by the words.
Love, Bill and Susi Smith P.S. No lamb in the meatloaf. Just pork and beef and spices, etc... Glad you like it.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:59 am

Shady lane was a frequent Saturday lunch destination for myself and a group of friends, but we have not been in sometime. Any plans on bringing back beer? We always enjoyed it very much(still have fond meatloaf sandwich memories myself) but our chemical dependency has kept us away.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Wed May 10, 2017 9:25 pm

It is a really nice place. My first time there was today, but it won't be my last! Got a great sandwich and good genuine vibe, there. :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 10, 2017 9:48 pm

It's definitely a keeper, Gordon. Glad you got over there!
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Mon May 22, 2017 9:04 am

Made it over there Saturday. This was our second time there, but I can't remember what I had the first time as it was years ago. I doubt I had the burger, though, as there is no way I would forget that. The burger is the real deal. Made simply, in the mold of the classic American cheeseburger, it is just plain delicious. Perfectly hand-pattied to retain moisture; cooked to perfection by an obviously skilled hand; constructed with no pretention; $7 price tag for a HUGE burger. What's not to love?