Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

How hot? That hot. They’ll tell you no lies at A Taste of Th

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:58 am

How hot? That hot. They’ll tell you no lies at A Taste of Thai

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Pad Thai at A Taste of Thai in Crestwood

“How hot do you want your Pad Thai?”

This can be a leading question in any Asian eatery where some of the dishes have the capability to scorch your palate. I raised an eyebrow, seeking more information.

“Scale of one to four,” our friendly server added, neglecting to mention the “zero” possibility. More about that later.

Mmm. Now I faced a dilemma. I like my spicy dishes hot, but I’m not insane. Nor am I a masochist. I know that “Thai for Thai people” is too hot for me, but I get irritable when I summon hot but am given a toned-down dish because management assumes that Westerners have puny palates. Let’s shoot for the middle ground: “Three, please.”

The guy pushed back. “Three is pretty hot,” he warned. “Are you sure?” This challenged my macho, so what could I say? “Sure! Bring it!”

It turns out that the good folks at A Taste of Thai don’t lie. This Pad Thai ranked among the hottest dishes I’ve had around town in the last few years. It was good, though, really good. It was hot enough to numb my lips and break out a good sweat on my brow, but not hot enough to make me think about calling 911 later in the day. (That’s a feat that only the chipotle grilled cheese at Toast on Market in New Albany has accomplished in recent memory.)

In fact, over all, I’d rank A Taste of Thai among the metro’s top Thai spots. This recent arrival in Crestwood in Oldham County is well worth the trip out from the city, especially now that it has added evening hours. It’s now open 11 a.m.-3 p.m. and 5-8 p.m. daily except Sundays.

It’s hard to miss, even if you’re not familiar with the area: Its free-standing building on Kentucky Highway 22, in front of the Walgreen’s right in the middle of Crestwood’s mini-downtown, is a bright, eye-catching reddish-orange. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=5549

See this column also in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2016/04/how-ho ... e-of-thai/

A Taste of Thai
6549 W. Highway 22
Crestwood, Ky.
365-1809
https://www.facebook.com/A-Taste-of-Tha ... 5346622096 (updated!)
Robin Garr's rating: 89 points
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

Re: How hot? That hot. They’ll tell you no lies at A Taste o

by Mary Anne » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:21 pm

I hope it's a fluke, but their Facebook page is no longer up 4/6/16... :(
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:43 pm

Mary Anne wrote:I hope it's a fluke, but their Facebook page is no longer up 4/6/16... :(

I noticed that too, Mary Anne, and called out there. It's a temporary glitch. They basically have to put up a new page, and hope to have it today. I'll post the link as soon as I find it. Or if you find it first, you post it! :mrgreen:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:24 am

They are still advertising for help. Seem to be pretty packed every evening when I drive by .
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:26 am

Ate there Friday night and was quite impressed. My wife had the Pad Thai, and it didn't really resonate with her. As Robin notes, every chef seems to have a unique recipe so there must be some wiggle room built in. We found it to be a little heavy with the rice vinegar. The two spice level, however, was one of the hottest I've ever had. I can't imagine how hot three would be.
The biggest hit at the table was the fried tilapia I had. Perfectly fried fish was plated on a slaw-like bed of shredded cabbage and topped with fresh diced vegetables in a truly delicious sweet chili sauce. I also ordered a two spice level and it was hot, but surprisingly didn't mask the delicate flavor of the fish. The fried pork belly in chili sauce sounds intriguing, but I'm not sure I can avoid ordering that fish if I return.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:13 am

My mom wants to take me here for my birthday. I like VERY hot. Mom likes very mild. Which numbers for us?
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:50 am

For your mom you take the hand of your food server and say, " I swear to you, Mom wants it mild with absolutely no heat. Please please please do not try to convince my Mom she will like it better if it blisters her mouth." I say this because the last time I was there I got level 1 ( I usually get a 2 elsewhere) and it was still too hot. I'd be very clear as to your wants. As far as you, make be a 2 or 3. Order a 4 and the chef may see it as a challenge. :P
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Dodgy if you really like all things hot then after your meal you can walk over to the Crestwood Market and pick up a Goya Ginger Beer. (They keep them refrigerated.) those things are lethal!
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:29 pm

Doogy, I would recommend starting at level three, unless you've never found a dish that is too hot for you. If that's the case, I'd say that level four might open a new frontier for you. Most at my table, myself included, ordered level two and we all thought that it was pushing the boundary of being too hot. I doubt I could go further without diminishing returns.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:36 pm

Thanks for all the very informative input. I'll definitely get a 0 for mom and a 4 for me. Maybe I'll ask for a sample taste of what 5 is like just to determine if that is the path I want to go down. I am a devout pepper head and always seek out the hottest foods available. I also want flavor to be involved as well.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:47 am

Let us know how you fare and what you think of the food.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:48 am

Four is as high as they go, Doogy, but I'd say it's the equivalent of a five at most places. I say go for the four and be the first to report how it treats you.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Fri May 06, 2016 12:14 pm

Mom and I enjoyed a great lunch at A Taste of Thai Monday. From start to finish was a delicious experience. When first walking in the door we knew we were in for a treat. The Thai aromas wafting through the air were a harbinger of the tasty treats yet to come. We were greeted by the husband who told us to sit wherever we wanted. He then brought us menus and utensils. I had already viewed the menu at openmenu.com so I knew what I was going to order. My mom needed time to peruse the menu and I helped her with the descriptions of the offerings.

When the host came back for our order we decided to start with Kanom Pang Na Goog. It's described on the menu as Succulent shrimp filled Thai toasts, served with sweet and sour cucumber relish. For her main mom ordered Kao Pad Ka Pao (Basil Fried Rice) with chicken. As stated earlier, mom likes NO heat whatsoever so I suggested she order a 0. I decided on the Tom Yum soup with chicken, heat level 4.

The Kanom Pang Na Goog arrived and was a visual delight. 6 toast rounds topped with a most delectable shrimp filling surrounding a bowl of relish which really wasn't a relish. It was slices of onion and cucumber along with some diced red pepper in a sweet and sour vinegar dressing. Regardless, they were super. The toasts had been fried to a crispy texture. The sweet shrimp topping paired perfectly with the buttery crunch of the toast. All in all, a wonderful start to a fantastic lunch.

Once we devoured the app, the host brought along our mains. Mom's was a mound of rice filled with Thai veggies and chicken. Remember that I said she ordered heat level 0. She dug in and told me it was hot. I took a bite and told her it had no heat at all. Now let me tell you this. She ate every bite of food on her plate. I think that tells you how much she enjoyed her meal.

My Tom Yum soup was served in a huge bowl on a plate along with a mound of Jasmine rice. The first thing I did was taste the soup for the heat level. At level 4 I was expecting a mind blowing experience. What I received was a nice heat but nothing near the level I had expected. Don't get me wrong, the food was quite delicious. The chef has a real knack of combining the Thai ingredients in a manner that none overwhelm the others while they all compliment each other in the dish. I am a hearty eater but there was so much food on my plate that I took enough home for 2 more meals.

The host came along and asked how everything was. Mom and I both told him how wonderful our meal was and that we'd be back. I did mention that I had expected more heat. He said the same thing you hear at all the ethnic places that have really spicy foods on their menu. They don't want to make it too spicy. I do understand that to a degree. I know they don't want to have dishes sent back and have to make more food.

The chef (Thai born) came by and talked to mom and I. I told her my soup was great but that I really like hotter food. I told her next time I'll order level 6 or 7. She got a nice chuckle from that.

Overall, I will definitely be back to A Taste of Thai and would readily suggest it to anyone wanting to try a new Thai experience. Another great thing is that it's about 5-6 miles down KY 22 from me. I think I'll become a regular over there in Crestwood.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat May 07, 2016 8:21 am

I'm so happy you enjoyed it! They really are nice people.
(Seriously though, visit the grocery store and try a Goya Ginger Beer. If you like hot I think you might enjoy it.)
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Sat May 07, 2016 3:44 pm

Carla G wrote:I'm so happy you enjoyed it! They really are nice people.
(Seriously though, visit the grocery store and try a Goya Ginger Beer. If you like hot I think you might enjoy it.)

You're welcome. I will try that ginger beer next time. Thanks for the recommendation.
Next