Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Lemme Doit?

User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

Lemme Doit?

by Gordon M Lowe » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:19 am

I have an issue that in the old days I think would be worthy of the CJ's Lemme Doit, but I don't think that feature is around anymore. I haven't seen it in the paper in awhile, and I can't find it on the website, and telephoning the CJ is virtually impossible, nowadays. :(

Here's the deal:

I have a situation concerning a concrete driveway that was installed at my Mother's house in June of 2013. The driveway surface began flaking(I believe the term is spalling) in March of 2015, and the original contractor came out, looked, and promised to rectify the problem. The contractor has repeatedly told me that he will get the driveway fixed, and even told me that other customers from the same time period were also having the issue, and that he believed it to be caused from a bad mix his company received. I have talked to this person every couple of weeks since the beginning of the problem, and while he has been nice, and I felt in good faith he was going to proceed, the work has never been started. I have been ridiculously patient in waiting for resolution, and I wonder what can I do next? The Better Business Bureau has made contact, and I am talking to an attorney about filing suit, but I have a bad feeling I'm stuck.

I never in a million years thought I would have a problem with a concrete driveway(neighbors have had the same ones for over 50 years!). I talked my mother into getting her asphalt driveway replaced with concrete, and now I feel terrible about what has happened. I had her get three bids, and told her to go with the lowest, thinking concrete is concrete, right? I was awfully wrong, apparently.

It's a very frustrating situation.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Lemme Doit?

by Steve Shade » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:27 am

Lemme Doit is long gone from the CJ. One of many cost cutting moves by Gannet.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:35 pm

For many years, Lemme Doit was actually researched and written by Ken Neuhauser, who also was the restaurant critic for several years in the early '80s (I actually took over the job from Ken!) and who also did the Louisville Times (and later the CJ's) events calendar for many years.

As Steve points out, though, this is just another of the many services that Gannett has found it "unprofitable" to continue in the CJ.

Don't the TV stations still have "troubleshooters," though?

WAVE-3 still features a Troubleshooter ... contact info for the station here:
http://www.wave3.com/category/1261/contact-us

And I'm not sure it's still his beat, but Doug Proffitt at WHAS used to do Troubleshooter stuff; he's an anchor now, but I'll bet he could refer you.
http://www.whas11.com/story/about-us/te ... /17655599/
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:25 am

WAVE's troubleshooter is the same guy that attacked the city's food trucks and got into some very public scraps with Grind.

Edit: Which is to say he's perfect for the role you're needing him to play, especially if there are multiple parties involved.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:25 am

Yesterday, I emailed my issue to the Troubleshooter and Doug, and so far have not heard anything. The attorney route will cost between $500 and $1000 and is a gamble due to the murkiness of implied and express warranties. It's a darn shame this contractor does not have the character to stand by his work.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:53 am

Gordon M Lowe wrote:It's a darn shame this contractor does not have the character to stand by his work.

I hear you, Gordon! And yeah, I had forgotten about the sketchiness of the WAVE guy. :( It may be that they just don't see your story as having the necessary "hooks" to get people all wound up, although I know that's frustrating.

Sorry you've had to go through all of this, anyway. Speaking totally from ignorance here, would Small Claims Court be an option? Isn't that a lawyer-less court? I'm showing my ignorance here ...
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:00 pm

Small Claims(no need for an attorney) is an option if the damages are less than $2500. ~I have independent contractors giving me bids that are in that ball park or higher to rectify the situation.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:32 pm

Gordon M Lowe wrote:Small Claims(no need for an attorney) is an option if the damages are less than $2500. ~I have independent contractors giving me bids that are in that ball park or higher to rectify the situation.

Ah. Sorry to hear it won't work for you, Gordon, but thanks for edumificating me.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:12 pm

Well, I've decided to start with a $200 letter from an attorney. It is what it is. I am willing to take the gamble to see if a threat of lawsuit will cause action. If not, I'll go ahead and sue. ~Another gamble, but I've decided to do it.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:12 pm

Gordon M Lowe wrote:Well, I've decided to start with a $200 letter from an attorney. It is what it is. I am willing to take the gamble to see if a threat of lawsuit will cause action. If not, I'll go ahead and sue. ~Another gamble, but I've decided to do it.

I hope the threat alone will get the results you want, Gordon. Best wishes!
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:24 am

Just wanted to provide an update on my tale of woe.

The attorney's letter was returned undeliverable because the business address is apparently closed. Where the operations actually originate from is unknown. My attorney did a fairly thorough background search on the owner of the company and came up with a several business names, addresses, bankruptcies, and a few other knick-knacks. In short, it's bad news. My attorney managed to contact the company owner by phone, and his attorney, too, and both promised to resolve the situation, but the bottom line is even if I go to court and win a Judgment Lien, I may never be able to collect it, because the guy really doesn't have anything.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:25 am

I'm sorry, Gordon. :( Sometimes life seems unfair, and about all we've got left is to hope that karma will someday even things out. Or let it go, which is hard but perhaps the best long-term solution. :)
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:36 am

Robin Garr wrote:I'm sorry, Gordon. :( Sometimes life seems unfair, and about all we've got left is to hope that karma will someday even things out. Or let it go, which is hard but perhaps the best long-term solution. :)

Thanks, Robin. I appreciate it. :)
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:43 am

It sounds like a dead end due to the financial health (lack thereof) of the contractor, but another option may be (for others who may have a similar issue with a contractor or auto) the Better Business Bureau arbitration program. I was a volunteer arbitrator for about ten years and heard dozens of cases, including many contractor issues (but mostly autos). I assume the program is still in place.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:57 am

TP Lowe wrote:It sounds like a dead end due to the financial health (lack thereof) of the contractor, but another option may be (for others who may have a similar issue with a contractor or auto) the Better Business Bureau arbitration program. I was a volunteer arbitrator for about ten years and heard dozens of cases, including many contractor issues (but mostly autos). I assume the program is still in place.

The BBB took my complaint, and tried to contact the contractor, but failed. I think my complaint is now on the BBB site.