Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Ok, gang, fill 'er up!

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Ok, gang, fill 'er up!

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:42 pm

Might as well move Ron's Cincinnati HotBytes forum in here, too. Having both forums (and others to come?) all in the same place might boost traffic a little because they're easy to find.

So, what's the hottest dining spot in the Queen City right now? How about Northern Kentucky?
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am

Lexington, KY

Hot Spots

by RebeccaWebb » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:47 pm

I would say the Hot Spot in Northern Kentucky is Pho Paris. We had lunch there last week and it was very nice.

The decor is very striking .. in the front where we sat, the bottom is a dark cherry wood and the top is a vibriant spring green ... a beautiful combination I think.

On to the food ... my husband and I both had the shrimp bisque. Very nice and the shrimp was so tender. It was cut into small pieces and was perfectly done.

We shared the smoked salmon sandwich and then splurged on a lemongrass creme brulee. The brulee was served in a larger, shallow ramikin and was lovely, both on flavor and on presentation with a beautiful edible flower and other geometric garnishes.
Rebecca Phillips Webb
User

R. N. Dominick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:17 am

Louisville, KY

by R. N. Dominick » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:20 pm

I find myself wanting to go back to Wild Ginger after eating there once, just after they'd opened. I really like the place but J--- is often stuck on buffets where Asian food is concerned. Maybe in a few weeks when I'm back in Cinci again...
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lexington, KY

Wild Ginger

by RebeccaWebb » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:39 pm

I love Wild Ginger!

I only stop about every 2 -3 months because of timing (they are open for lunch until 3:00 and I usually miss it); however, this winter, I was able to stop a few times.

My favorites (and unfortunately, I get these to the exclusion of other dishes): Winter rolls (very reasonably priced at $1.25/roll) -- the main taste is sweet potato. Even my youngest (21 month old) LOVES the winter roll. Mango curry .... very good ... never any leftovers. And finally, the Tom Kai soup.

The owners and employees are very friendly too. Even though I only stop occassionally, they always recognize me (and my son) and are just very pleasant.

The other thing I really like about Wild Ginger is the whole concept on how they have decorated the restaurant in a eco-friendly "green" manner.
Rebecca Phillips Webb
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:30 pm

Whats the problem...It seems like this site has never really took off..... :(
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lexington, KY

by RebeccaWebb » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:04 pm

Robert ... the main problem is that Louisville Hotbytes is (rightfully so) focused on all things Louisville and very few people venture as far as Cincinnati, Lexington, Midway, or elsewhere.

Cincinnati restaurant people don't seem to know about this site ... I have mentioned it to several and they are totally unaware. In addition, they don't seem to be interested even AFTER finding out about it. Perhaps the local chapter of the Cincinnati Originals (sister organization of Louisville Originals) would do well to pick up this web site and start directing more traffic.

I wouldn't mind having a Lexington division either. I frequent the sites because it is a way to keep up with all the ins and outs of the restaurants, which at times, has been vital information for us.

Don't give up on the Cincinnati section ... just takes a while in a city such as their's.
Rebecca Phillips Webb
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:11 pm

Lexington really needs one....On the WLEX TV web site they have a dinning section...When you type in Mexican Food...Gues what comes up....Taco Bell..... :roll:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:26 pm

rebeccawebb wrote:I wouldn't mind having a Lexington division either. I frequent the sites because it is a way to keep up with all the ins and outs of the restaurants, which at times, has been vital information for us.

I'd be happy to set one up if there's any interest. It's easy to do, and it doesn't cost extra!

Don't give up on the Cincinnati section ... just takes a while in a city such as their's.

Agreed. Again, it would be nice if it was much more active, but maybe it will gradually pick up here. It's really easier when it's visible from the main forum page rather than sitting off by itself.
User

Daniel Raines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:21 pm

Speaking of Lex...

by Daniel Raines » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:35 pm

...I finally tried the new Italian style pizza joint up there, Smashing Tomato (http://www.smashingtomato.com).

I tried their Pizza Margherita (w/Arrabiata sauce) and a build(w/Neopolitan sauce) with Pepperoni, Roasted Garlic, Pepperoncini. I loved the Margherita. :D

The crust is very light and crisp. Very tender as I would guess. :?:

The Arrabiata sauce was slightly spicy and delightful.

Intersting thing is it is run by the same group that runs the outstanding Nothing But Burgers and Bella Notte, which I have not tried.

I am impressed with their pizza and burger joints though.
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lexington, KY

Lexington - Smashing Tomato

by RebeccaWebb » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:47 pm

I have been to the Smashing Tomato twice and really enjoy it. It is all wood fire pizzas and they also have salads and I think some sandwiches (sorry, I have focused on the pizza).

Try the artichoke appetizer ... it is really good, especially if you like garlic!

For anyone interested, they are located behind Fayette Mall in the new section called The Plaza. There are several new stores and restaurants but to my knowledge, Smashing Tomato is the only indie there. (the others are TGIFridays, The Pub, Moe's, and one of the steak houses). I'll stick with Smashing Tomato.
Rebecca Phillips Webb