Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

End of the Summer Garden :-(

User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

End of the Summer Garden :-(

by Lois Mauk » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:46 pm

Pretty chilly last night but gonna be much colder tonight. Expected low tonight of 31.

Harvested every last thing from my garden last night except the spinach, lettuce and celery. Cut back my bay tree and got it repotted so it could come inside for the winter (drying those to give to friends).

In addition to all I've given away, this year I canned 110 pints of green beans off a 30-foot row growing up the stockade fence and about 40 or 50 pints of tomato sauce, pasta sauce, chili base and salsa from my 11 tomato plants.

All in all, it was a really good summer garden but it looks kind of sad and empty today.
Time to start planning for 2016!
Hope 2015 was a productive year for your garden too.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: End of the Summer Garden :-(

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:21 pm

Sniffle indeed, Lois, although the freeze may not make its way into the city for a little longer, "thanks" to the urban heat island effect. That said, the shortening days and cooler temps have slowed our garden pretty much to a halt. Tomatoes have just about dropped out; the okra put out a few last monster pods and then stopped. Green peppers still coming, but they're small. And the last harvest of eggplant came a couple of weeks ago.

Still, it was a pretty good garden summer. Wet early, dry late, typical temperatures but not much excess heat. And some of the flowers will go on entertaining us for a while yet. :)

Oh, and pie pumpkins! Mary found one growing out of the compost and transplanted it; we harvested about 10 canteloupe-size babies the other day and are having savory roast pumpkin and onions tonight. :)
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: End of the Summer Garden :-(

by Lois Mauk » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:36 pm

Roasted pumpkin and onion! Yum!!
I was disappointed to not get a single watermelon but the location was not the best.
I have two new raised beds built and a third one that I'll tackle in a week or two. First layer is cardboard, then scavenged yard trimmings, grass clippings and a few dead leaves. Will continue building layers through the fall and then let them decompose over the winter. By spring, they'll be ready to top off and plant.
Looking forward to 2016.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org