Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Mommas BBQ

no avatar
User

mark.sheridan

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:31 pm

Re: Mommas BBQ

by mark.sheridan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:13 am

Yes I am the Owner/Chef. No tooting? I use all avenues of Social Media to advertise. I said nothing positive or negative about the thread or SmokeHawgs BBQ...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:37 am

mark.sheridan wrote:Yes I am the Owner/Chef. No tooting? I use all avenues of Social Media to advertise. I said nothing positive or negative about the thread or SmokeHawgs BBQ...

Mark, I'm not calling a foul or anything. Yet. I do want to point out, though, that it's the custom of this forum for owners, chefs and employees to mention the connection when you say something about your own business.

Look, I don't want to criticize you or shame you. We're glad you're here. I just want to make sure that, as a new arrival, you understand how we work. It's really important to understand that we're here to talk as peers about the Louisville food scene. If we mention our own business - even in a neutral way - we're expected to mention the connection.

Also, some might question whether it's appropriate to jump in with a mention of a competitive business in a discussion about another business, but let's take this one step at a time. :)
no avatar
User

mark.sheridan

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:31 pm

by mark.sheridan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:51 pm

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.... I'm looking forward to following the forum however... Lots of good information.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:16 pm

FYI The food truck is going to be at Commonwealth Tap Thursday 9/24. 5:00. Tap has happy hour from 3:00 to 6:00 M-F. Different discount each hour. 50% off keg wine and beer 3-4:00; 25% off, 4-5:00; 15% off, 5-6:00. They also have bourbon, etc but those drinks aren't part of HH.
Tonight is a wine tasting at 6:00.
If you haven't been, it's a great spot. I'm ot connected to the Tap. Just a fan and frequent visitor.
Ellen
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:56 am

I'm glad someone else was unimpressed with Momma's. I've now been 4 times at the insistence of others who swear the problem is I got their just ok (pork, brisket, wings, ribs) instead of their amazing (pork, brisket, wings, ribs). I found very little smoke and not much other flavor in the Q. It was not particularly moist or well cooked. Sides are average (baked beans were the highlight I guess). If you put pickles and mustard in the name of your place then the pickles and mustard really need to be exceptional. They were not. Especially the pickles. I tried to save the meat with sauce and that failed too. Both choices were lacking in anything resembling interesting flavor. To top it all off it was insanely over priced.

No clue what people see in that place. There is much, much, MUCH better BBQ in town for a lot less $$. If you want to over pay for BBQ at least go to Feast and get good BBQ.

Oh well, glad the people who own it are doing well. I won't be back, not matter how much the next person insists I just ordered the wrong thing.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:25 pm

Fair enough; to each their own. I also can't imagine going to a place a fifth time hoping to be convinced.

That said, I have never been disappointed in the beef ribs, although I haven't been to Momma's in like a year. But every time I've had them, they've been moist and strongly smoky with an obvious smoke ring, more or less exactly as pictured here:

https://www.louisville.com/sites/defaul ... BQ%202.jpg

Part of the appeal to me is that as a native Nashvillian (where the style is more Memphis-y) beef ribs and burnt ends are exotic and novel. If I weren't into those things, I doubt the wings would be enough to keep me going to Momma's over, say, Feast.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:37 pm

My only issue with Feast, besides the high-ish prices, is that I want my brisket sliced, like God intended. Not pulled.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:17 pm

Iggy C wrote: I have never been disappointed in the beef ribs.

First, I agree with Chris M . . . we have been several times, the people we are with LOVED it all and dragged us there, and we found everything a healthy "meh."

Second, regarding the beef ribs, my favorite bbq dish is beef back ribs, followed by pork St. Louis. The first time we were at Momma's, I asked if the beef ribs were short ribs with the full bone, or if they were back ribs. I was told back ribs. They are not. Now, there's nothing wrong per se with bbq short ribs, but when one is expecting a rack of back ribs then short ribs just don't make it! (the second time I asked again about the beef ribs, and again was told they were back ribs . . . an adjacent table had just been served the beef ribs, so I asked the waiter if those were the "back ribs", and he affirmed that they were)
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:25 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:My only issue with Feast, besides the high-ish prices, is that I want my brisket sliced, like God intended. Not pulled.

I agree with you on that one Jeff! Brisket definitely should be sliced and not pulled. The only thing worse is the places that smother brisket or pork in barbecue sauce before serving it to you. Good barbecue really doesn't need barbecue sauce and a decision to put it on should be up to the consumer! Barbecue sauce should be considered a condiment not part of the food itself.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:58 pm

I couldn't tell the difference between a beef back rib and a beef short rib. I just know I like what they brung me.
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:37 pm

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:04 am

mark.sheridan wrote:I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.... I'm looking forward to following the forum however... Lots of good information.

Wow! SMH
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:37 pm

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:07 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:My only issue with Feast, besides the high-ish prices, is that I want my brisket sliced, like God intended. Not pulled.

Agree...I like my brisket sliced as well..I expected the same thing and it seemed like I was eating my mother's pot roast.....long and stringy.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:05 am

Spooning jus over pulled brisket can be a way to disguise overcooked brisket. Not saying that's what Feast is doing, but slicing brisket Texas-style doesn't let you hide under- or overcooked meat.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Last minute decision to try Mommas while I was in their area. I was craving beef ribs (not short ribs) and my other favorite bbq place doesn’t offer them. I asked how many were in an order.
“Two.”
Really? Just Two?
“They are a good size and really good. “
Ok.
OMG they were huge! Each maybe, 10” long rib along with the adjoining meat must have weighed a full pound. I finished one and took the remaining one home. Flavor was very good with a good char.
I’d go back.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:35 pm

The worst is when you're craving their beef ribs and they're already sold out for the day. Glad you got to try them! And now I need to schedule a return visit.
PreviousNext