Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon

by TP Lowe » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:18 am

Late summer trip and looking for ideas - thanks much.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:34 am

It's been a while since my last trip to those three cities, but beyond the obvious, don't focus to much on the two Spanish cities that you sell Lisbon short. It's a beautiful city with a lot going on. Look for a mini-tower made by the same gent who built the Eiffel Tower. On a much more human scale, and the coffee shop at the top is a great place to relax and look around at the city. Go to the old town and find a bar where somebody is singing fado. And eat seafood, lots of seafood; and drink some wine. :)

Also, if it matters in your trip planning, the Metro NYC-Lisbon air route is, I believe, the shortest, fastest link between the US and Europe ... only about five hours.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:42 am

Robin Garr wrote:It's been a while since my last trip to those three cities, but beyond the obvious, don't focus to much on the two Spanish cities that you sell Lisbon short. It's a beautiful city with a lot going on. Look for a mini-tower made by the same gent who built the Eiffel Tower. On a much more human scale, and the coffee shop at the top is a great place to relax and look around at the city. Go to the old town and find a bar where somebody is singing fado. And eat seafood, lots of seafood; and drink some wine. :)

Also, if it matters in your trip planning, the Metro NYC-Lisbon air route is, I believe, the shortest, fastest link between the US and Europe ... only about five hours.

Many thanks, Robin. I've spent time in Barcelona, not the other two. Appreciate your thoughts.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:00 pm

We were in Barcelona and Madrid last September. Here are some notes from our trip (probably no revelations here; these are tourist attractions, but we were tourists......):

Barcelona:
- Just walk down Las Ramblas all the way to the water or grab a table at one of the outside cafes and people watch.
- Stop at the public market Mercat de la Boqueria right off Las Ramblas and marvel at the meats, cheeses, vegetables, fruits, seafood, sweets, Iberian ham, etc . - a treat for the senses.
- Go to the Picasso Museum (he was born in Spain): fascinating to see things from his early career before he did the famous works that define him.
- Check out what's playing at the Palau de la Música Catalana. We just happened to see a guitar concert advertised and bought tickets. The music (three classical guitarists) was so entertaining, but the venue is spectacular.
- The Sagrada Familia: the huge, Gaudi-designed, unfinished and still under construction cathedral is jaw-dropping.
- Go to the Palau Güell (Güell Palace), a mansion designed by Gaudí. It's fascinating and make sure you walk out on the roof to see the chimneys.

Madrid:
- We went to Museo Reina Sofia (The Sofia museum) especially to see Picasso's Guernica. There are works by Dali, too.
- Go to the Prado Museum. We were with a small group and had a guide "Javier", who was really, really good. Works by the "big three" famous Spanish painters Velasquez, El Greco and Goya are there, as well as Titian and Rubens.
- Had really good paella on the Plaza Mayor
- We took the advice of a local and went to Los Gatos restaurant and asked them to select assorted "canapes" for us. This included what the server described as "baby eels", and I realized I must not be an adventurous diner.
- We toured the Royal Palace.

Also, Spanish history is fascinating, especially the Muslim influence. We saw a number of Catholic churches (Spain is now like 95% Catholic) in some of the smaller cities that were originally constructed as mosques. Have fun and give us a report (especially Lisbon).
Last edited by Jay M. on Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:11 am

Great comments, Jay - thanks so much!
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:08 am

In God's name don't go to the Jules Verne on La Rambla. One of the worst places I've been in my life.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:40 am

Reporting back. Without getting into specifics, suffice it to say one can visit both countries with no reservations or plans and have a great food experience. Especially in Spain, fabulous wines at rock bottom cost are the order of the day. Spain's economy has recovered somewhat, but prices remain incredibly affordable. Portugal is still struggling and prices reflect it there, as well. Barcelona was predictable (having been there before), Madrid was a positive surprise in terms of wanting to return. Portugal is gorgeous. Want to go back soon.