Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Poll: Plated - good idea, or cheating?

by Kim H » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:13 pm

I've been wondering how the true foodies view programs like Plated. On one hand, it could help people who might not normally cook a decent meal, instead resorting to fast/convenience food. It could also help train the pallet of rookie cooks. On the other side, it seems like it gives people the opportunity to take credit for other chefs efforts, sources things that are nowhere near local, and limits the creative fun in the kitchen. It's also very expensive, IMO. Thoughts? https://www.plated.com/
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Poll: Plated - good idea, or cheating?

by JustinHammond » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:57 pm

All they are doing is looking up the recipe and doing the grocery shopping for you. Not cheating in my eyes.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:49 pm

I appreciate your feedback, Justin. I understand your point of view, but I guess where it gets me is when these cooks take all the credit. I have a couple of friends who are forthcoming about how they made these dishes they post on FB, but some post pics of all these meals, and claim it as their own creation. Receive comments like, "you should become a chef!" and accept it as personal praise, when I believe if one of our local chefs was practicing this, they'd be run outta town. Pretty sure Fernandez, Corbett, Lamas, etc. aren't just opening their front door and making dinner based on someone else's ideas and someone else's shopping efforts. Just my 2 cents.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:26 pm

Most of the dishes I've looked at on Plated are pretty simple, not the chefy. I'll take the home cooks side on taking credit for the meal; they still had to cook it. If I buy X chefs cookbook and look up a recipe and then make the dish and it turns out great, I should be able to take the credit for making it. Claiming you came up with the recipe by yourself is a different story. But, as the saying goes, "it has all been done before".
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/