Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Braised Short Ribs?

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Braised Short Ribs?

by Kim H » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:53 am

I've never made these before, but I know my husband would love them. I've found several recipes that fit into the "what I had in mind" category, but having never attempted them, I was hoping for suggestions. I plan to serve them with polenta. Anyone have recipes or tips they're willing to share? TIA!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Braised Short Ribs?

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:20 am

I hope you'll get more useful tips, Kim ... I haven't cooked them for a long time. But in overview, it's similar to the rule for ox tails: Braise loooow and sloooow (ideally after browning them first), and skim the fat.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:11 am

Thanks, Robin! I have the basics down, so I probably should be more specific. I plan to brown, slow/low cook, and completely cool to de-fat. I want to thicken the broth/gravy, and have seen different methods, and I guess that's where I'd like input. Some recipes suggest dredging the ribs prior to browning, some suggest adding the flour to the braiding liquid prior to roasting, some suggest after roasting. I imagine any of these methods would work, but wondered what some our experts here tend to do.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:01 pm

I'd probably brown the meat first, remove the meat, add a little flour to the leftover fat, cook that a minute or two, build your braising liquid and bring to temp making sure things are smooth, then add the meat back in for the braise.

I'd go very light on the flour on the front end because you don't want the liquid to be too thick during the braise, and you'll inevitably lose some of the braising liquid to evaporation during the braise, no matter how tight your lid fits. You can always add a little corn starch slurry or even a tablespoon of butter at the end after you de-fat the liquid when making the sauce.

The problem with just adding flour at the end is that the sauce will taste like flour if it doesn't cook enough. Cooking it in the fat at the front end will both help thicken and add a little nutty flavor.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:02 pm

Oh, and braise in the oven, not on the stove - you'll maintain a much more consistent temperature that way.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown