Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Wild & Woolly closing :~(

User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

Wild & Woolly closing :~(

by Gordon M Lowe » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:25 am

Very sad about this. :( :(

Thank goodness for the free public library :D , but Wild & Woolly always had what I was looking for. Besides the meager selection at some Kroger stores and Red Box, are there any other video rental places left in town?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Wild & Woolly closing :~(

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:58 am

Sadly, Gordon, I don't know of any, and Da Google doesn't seem to, either. :cry:

Another nail in the coffin of small, "weird" local businesses, I'm afraid. Like Ear x-tacy and, I suppose, in a way like Burger's and Doll's, time and technology have passed them by.

I'm as guilty as anyone. We love foreign films and indie flicks, but with easy access to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, we haven't gone to W&W for years.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:52 pm

Well, as much as I love the internet, I haven't embraced streaming movies. I don't like watching a movie on my computer. I really am sort of surprised an easy tv-friendly way of doing this hasn't happened yet. I'll be on board with that.

Speaking of time and technology passing, I took three little projects to Keith's Hardware this morning, and walked out a happy man. Considering the special needs I had, a few extra dollars spent on supplies was more than well worth it. I sincerely hope I never see the day when the little hardware stores go away.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:10 pm

I hear you about the little hardware stores, Gordon! Oscar's is just up the street from us, and I would 100 times rather go up there than to a big box store. I'm afraid that the big chains pose a major threat to mom n pop hardwares, though, and applaud your commitment to support them.

As for streaming to your TV, the technology is there, and doesn't require a major investment, but it does require some learning curve. We use Apple TV (which despite the name, I think will work on Windows computers, too). It's a small black box that plugs into one of your TV's HDMI slots and picks up your home wireless. Then you can use its remote to tune into a lot of providers (like Netflix and Hulu) directly, and also to "mirror" the screen of your computer or tablet or smartphone.

Ours cost $99 a few years ago, and was an easy install. That's what made it possible for us to cut the cable and save enough bucks to pay for the Apple TV in the first month, as well as easily justifying the $10-ish monthly price for Netflix and Hulu. :)
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:43 pm

Considering cable just went up to $75 for plain vanilla, I'm beginning to feel the need to explore other options, but I still have conventional cathode-ray tube tv sets. The one nice thing about the digital to analogue "mini-box" for people like me is the remote control is simple, and that is really essential for my mom, too, and yes, we still use our VCR's. :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:20 pm

Gordon M Lowe wrote:Considering cable just went up to $75 for plain vanilla, I'm beginning to feel the need to explore other options, but I still have conventional cathode-ray tube tv sets. The one nice thing about the digital to analogue "mini-box" for people like me is the remote control is simple, and that is really essential for my mom, too, and yes, we still use our VCR's. :)

I hear you, Gordon! It still might be possible to wire a laptop to an older TV. Even back in the day it was (and presumably still is) possible to use a TV as your computer's monitor.

This article might have some ideas, if you want to pursue it ...

http://www.guidingtech.com/1896/connect ... o-tv-hdtv/
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Highlands

by Doug A » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:34 pm

Gordon M Lowe wrote:Considering cable just went up to $75 for plain vanilla, I'm beginning to feel the need to explore other options, but I still have conventional cathode-ray tube tv sets. The one nice thing about the digital to analogue "mini-box" for people like me is the remote control is simple, and that is really essential for my mom, too, and yes, we still use our VCR's. :)

Roku 1 or 2 for a cathode-ray TV: https://www.roku.com/products/compare

Used to really struggle to watch any kind of streaming content from our laptop hooked up to our TV. My wife gifted me a Roku 3 for Christmas and I'm a convert. Roku made UofL games on ESPN3 watchable and have yet to have a hick up because of buffering or lack of bandwidth with any streaming content.

The other bonus is the Time Warner app if you subscribe to Time Warner cable (TWC). Hook your Roku up and it acts like a digital box for the most part without the monthly subscription price. No DVR, but you get the TWC channel guide, ESPN, and HBO if you subscribe.

No experience with the Roku 1 or 2, but if they work as well as the Roku 3 I can recommend that highly.

Good Luck!
Last edited by Doug A on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:34 am

This is the first I've ever heard of a Roku. :o Thanks for the links. I plan to do a little homework on this. :)
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Highlands

by Doug A » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:20 pm

You're welcome.

One issue I wanted to make you aware of is that while Roku has been great with Time Warner Cable (TWC) all bets are off when our area is serviced by Charter. I'm pretty sure the TWC acquisition deal closed and the spinoff of our area to Charter is inevitable, but the question is when.

From what I have read Charter is behind in development of a Roku friendly environment like the TWC app for Roku including a channel guide, but everything I've seen was somewhat dated. Hopefully they will have caught up by the time of the change over.

Hope it works for you!
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:49 am

Gordon M Lowe wrote:Very sad about this. :( :(

Thank goodness for the free public library :D , but Wild & Woolly always had what I was looking for. Besides the meager selection at some Kroger stores and Red Box, are there any other video rental places left in town?

There is a video rental store on Ruckreigel Parkway in Jeffersontown across from the Walmart grocery. I have never been in it so have no idea what they have.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:02 am

Gordon do you have a DVD player? If so I'd be happy to loan you much of my collection. ( close to 800 movies) Since I can easily use Roku i haven't' broken out the hard copies in ages. I would like to keep them however but they are yours to use until you can figure out something else. The collection is pretty diverse and a bit heavy on the 1940s stuff. Let me know and I can drop some off to you.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Max S

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:08 pm

by Max S » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:00 pm

Hey Gordon, another easy and seemingly well-designed option is the fire stick. i never used it, but it seems like one of the cheapest and easiest options, only $40, plugs into a usb-slot on your tv. I guess that's if you decide to upgrade your tv at some point.
"Japanese chefs believe their souls go into their sushi knives. Would you put your soul in a dishwasher?"