Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

AT&T U-verse

User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

AT&T U-verse

by Gayle DeM » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Does anyone have exprience swithcing from Insight Cable and online to AT&T U-verse Cable and online?

I am considering doing so because of cost. Presently I pay $135/month which seems steep to me. U-verse would cost $92.

On the other hand, I have only lost power for more than an hour one time, in the midst of our worst sleet storms. Power went out late that evening, so I went to bed! Everything was working beautifully next morning. My only complaint is that I have no idea who to reach a real person, if I needed to talk to someone.

What say you?
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

Re: AT&T U-verser

by Gary Guss » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:54 pm

We did it last year... the Uverse seems to work fine, we lost it a couple of times early on but the past 2-3 months have been no probllem and its a lot cheaper
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:36 pm

We haven't switch because of the research we've done and what friends have told us. Anytime I've had issues we Insight, which have been few, I'm on the phone with someone from America in a matter of minutes. A friend, who recently switched, has had a few problems and reports long hold times for "overseas" technical support.

The pricing looks good on the surface, but appears to be only temporary. After the first year of service the rates go up to amost exactly what Insight is charging. Insight is constantly advertising low rates for "new" customers.

It's all about getting someone switched over with a low ball rate and then sticking it to them after the switch.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:01 pm

I don't know anyone who uses U-verse here in Louisville....but....I've heard quite a few negative comments about it from several of my out of town friends.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

by AmyBK » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:22 pm

We switched from Insight to Uverse for TV, Internet, and phone about two and a half years ago and have never looked back. It has been very dependable. Support needs have been minimal and easy. Another family member recently made the switch and is very happy. Your mileage may vary!
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:04 pm

My family switched from Insight Cable and Internet to Uverse in Feb 2013. So far our experience has been stellar. The cost for Uverse is only about $6 less than what we paid for Insight. However, my internet speed is faster and I have not noticed a single interuption in service since it was installed. Additionally, Uverse provided $350 in Visa cards, so that was the kicker of the deal. Yes, my rates are scheduled to go up after 12-24 months...however I was advised that I would be eligible for any promotion that ATT is running at that time.

DD
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:18 pm

We cannot get U-Verse tv in our section of town yet. Insight is a disaster and my out of town friends tell me that the under Time-Warner is will only get worse. Come on AT&T and give us some choice!!
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Come on Google and give us a real choice !
User

Allen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Valley Station, Kentucky

Re: AT&T U-verse

by Allen P » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:39 am

UVerse, like most cable companies, does outsource their late night tech support but I've had good success in getting US Based support during day and evening hours. I can say this much my DVR blew up the day before thanksgiving and I was having lots of out of town company. I had a tech at my door at 8am on thanksgiving morning to repair it. Time warner... good luck I'm lucky to even get a tech to show up at Moms on the time they promise. Mom's went out and we had the first appointment booked at 9am with TWC and the tech did not show until 1pm.

I can also say UVERSE answers their phone crazy quick... they have an automated process that scans your lines and will correct the issue 80% of the time before you get a tech, but once you get the tech he has all the diagnostics ready from the scans and moves right on with the problem.

I've only had problems TWICE though... once was a hard drive failure in the DVR can happen to anyone the other a kitty knocked over the TV Wireless box unit and they had me back up and running in less than 5 mins.

My price is less.... Time warner offers faster speeds but they get you with the up to language. My 20mb will consistently test at 20mb and it works well for what I need.

I can honestly say that Uverse has been very good to me and I've never lost dial tone on my phone (TWC often does maintenance and your phone goes down between the hours of 1am-5am if you have a burglar alarm that's not good). And when the power went out for more than 2 days the battery Uverse gives you is adequate. I have a large brick UPC style battery that feeds the main unit where the phone modem is... which also has a battery in it. You can ask the UVerse tech when they install for 2 batteries if they have them they will give them to you.

Another nice thing about my Uverse is when the power goes out I have phone and wifi... which means I can check on my tablet or laptop the LG&E site and figure out what's up.

Allen
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:52 am

I switched from Time Warner (formerly Insight) to U-Verse and couldn't be happier. Given I work with tech all day long, I'm an incredibly picky customer when it comes to this stuff. If you're still with Time Warner (soon to be Charter), I'd highly recommend switching. I don't know much about their tech support, given I haven't had to call them outside of the initial bad modem model I had.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:55 pm

Five months ago I switched from Time-Warner (Insight) to ATT U-verse and, like Adam, couldn't be happier.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:16 pm

I've been mad at UVerse because of what I consider their unacceptably sleazy marketing tactics: Flood your postal and E-boxes with spam, and even worse, send young adult street-sales people around dressed as technicians, telling you that "they're working in our neighborhood today and can offer us a special deal." (The same scam used by fly-by-night driveway "repavers," I believe.

But TWC just quietly raised our Internet-only plan (20mbps) from $60 to $70 per month - no cable, no phone - with zero fanfare, no announcement, just a new, higher bill.

I'm beginning to think that when you've got a choice between two sleazes, you might as well go with the cheaper sleaze. :P

So, can any of you tell me if we're likely to get a significantly better deal than $60 or $70/mo for uncapped Internet, 20mbps or more, from UVerse? (We are in a fiber-optic neighborhood, if that matters.)
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:59 pm

I get 50 Mb uncapped from Uverse for about that price.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:59 pm

Well, I took a closer look, and counting add-ons, they were actually raising us from a bottom line $70 to $80 :shock: per month for Internet only, albeit "turbo" Internet at 20Mbps.

Anyway, long story short, I called and got a very nice, competent woman who needed almost no persuading whatsoever to cut me back to $50/month and guarantee that "program" for 12 months before it goes up and we repeat the process again.

So, given that I'm actually happy with TWC's service, and have discovered that you can get outstanding and very fast customer-service for tech issues by tweeting @TWC_help, I'm inclined to stay.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:59 pm

Well, I took a closer look, and counting add-ons, they were actually raising us from a bottom line $70 to $80 :shock: per month for Internet only, albeit "turbo" Internet at 20Mbps.

Anyway, long story short, I called and got a very nice, competent woman who needed almost no persuading whatsoever to cut me back to $50/month and guarantee that "program" for 12 months before it goes up and we repeat the process again.

So, given that I'm actually happy with TWC's service, and have discovered that you can get outstanding and very fast customer-service for tech issues by tweeting @TWC_help, I'm inclined to stay.