Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

"The Truth About Cast Iron"

User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

"The Truth About Cast Iron"

by Ray Griffith » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:14 am

Sounds good to me, but I'm just an amateur. What do you think?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html
no avatar
User

greg.fleischaker

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:22 pm

Re: "The Truth About Cast Iron"

by greg.fleischaker » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:27 pm

I'm a huge fan of cast iron, but I must admit, that I use enamel coated cast iron pans, it's much easier for me to keep these pans clean and rust free than the straight up cast iron pans. You can even see a few pictures of the ones I use on my little food blog that I started a year or so ago at http://gregfly.com

Greg Fleischaker
Last edited by greg.fleischaker on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:13 am

I probably own 15 to 20 pieces of cast iron. Some of it handed down, some of it purchased in second hand stores and some of it purchased "brand new"... Without a doubt the old Wagner and Griswold stuff is superior. I won't even cook on some of the (new) Lodge stuff I own...The -old- Lodge stuff is OK, the new stuff isn't worth a cr**.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:38 am

I have 2, 10 " skillets, a 6" skillet, (little used) and a good sized iron Dutch oven. I also have a very nice, old set of very heavy heavy stainless steel pots and skillets. I use the iron ware almost exclusively except when boiling water for poached/hard/boiled eggs or pasta. And I agree with Steve P. - the new iron ware isn't worth a hoot. If I wanted to add to what I have I'd look at yard sales. And there there used to be some guy at the large flea market that sold some very nice, old, reconditioned iron ware of old vintage. I bought a cornbread cooker from him.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson