Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

New Mexican spot in Auburndale (South End)

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:23 pm

Just in from a reader:

La Riviera Maya, 8104 National Turnpike, Louisville, KY 40214.

He reports, "while the location and building are far from glamorous the food was terrific and the staff friendly. At the time I went the only sign they had up was a posterboard-and-marker display taped to the window."

Has anyone else in the area checked this one out?
User

Barbara A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:45 pm

St. Matthews

Re: New Mexican spot in Auburndale (South End)

by Barbara A » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 am

My Sweetie and I were out on a hike on Sunday at the Jefferson Memorial Forest in Fairdale. As we finished up we were feeling a bit peckish. I remembered this post about a new Mexican restaurant down that way. I suggested... it was well received, now to just find it. La Riviera is a very easy find one mile north of 265 next to a Subway. It is a bright and clean little store front that is now well marked.

The menu is basic and written in both Spanish and English. We were the only gringos in the place. We ordered our meals and waited the results.Steve ordered cheese enchiladas and I ordered a gordita as well as the carne asada. Food came out piping hot as it was ready. I found everything very flavorful including the roasted red chili that came with my meal. The rice was cooked the way I remember it as a kid, a little sticky and well done. It was delicious. The carne asada was a little dry but had great flavor. Steve enjoyed the enchiladas. They were not swimming in sauce but remained moist. We both tucked into the gordita which I ordered with chicken. It was lightly crisp on the outside holding back crispy lettuce, some tomato, sliced avocado and a ribbon of sour cream. They have a very light and less cinnamon-y hor-chata but non the less refreshing. Soda was served in the can not a fountain drink.

They open for breakfast at 9:30 and we will be going back in on Sunday for our breakfast run this weekend.
If you can't cope you can always cook
no avatar
User

JenniferHall

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:12 pm

by JenniferHall » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:16 pm

La Riviera Maya is a small and cozy little restaurant in the Louisville South End. When we arrived I wasn't impressed with the decor or anything, as it is extremely casual spot. But it was clean, and the service was excellent. The food was fresh.The tortillas tasted freshly made. The food had the flavor and feel of having an authentic dinner at a Mexican's home. We will be going back. The value is good for the quality. :)
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:42 pm

Is this another location of the Riviera Maya on Frankfort Ave, or a different restaurant altogether?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:52 am

Alanna H wrote:Is this another location of the Riviera Maya on Frankfort Ave, or a different restaurant altogether?

I wondered the same thing. When Riviera Maya in Clifton opened, the guy there told me that he had worked at Sol Aztecas, so maybe the local-chain idea is in his DNA?