Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Thai-Siam has closed.

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Thai-Siam has closed.

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Thai-Siam in the Gardiner Lane Shopping Center is gone. It wasn't the city's best, but it was the city's oldest Thai, so a moment of silence would be appropriate.

thai-siam-closed.jpg
Thai-Siam closing note
thai-siam-closed.jpg (31.02 KiB) Viewed 11101 times
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Thai-Siam has closed.

by Carla G » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:18 pm

Sorry to hear that. Nice people. Did not realize they were there for that long.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:29 pm

Yeah, they were the first Thai restaurant in town. Lexington got one first, which really chapped my cheeks. :oops: Now, that said, I didn't think Thai-Siam had held up well over the years. I think they dumbed down their Thai to suit the regular clientele, and I hadn't gone there often in recent years. But it's still sad.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:59 am

Same here, a little piece of local history is gone even if it had been eclipsed by a host of worthy competitors over the years - on both sides of the river. Thai-Siam was a pioneer in Louisville, opening in 1990 I believe. The last time we went was last year but hadn't been before that for about four years. It was OK last year but not keeping up with the young Turks (Thais?). Still, those that remain owe a certain debt to Thai-Siam as they blazed the trail for such cuisine years before the Web & hence FB, Twitter, Yelp. Thai was exotic back then.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:03 am

Thai-Siam was my first exposure to Thai food back in the mid-1990s. We used to go there semi-regularly from about 1995-1999 when we lived in the Highlands. I always thought that the food was OK but the ambiance was lacking.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:13 am

One of the first restaurants I went to when I moved to Louisville - darn it.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:29 am

Lonnie Turner wrote:Thai-Siam was a pioneer in Louisville, opening in 1990 I believe.

I think it might have been a year earlier, Lonnie ... I was still reviewing at the CJ then (I left early in 1990), and was delighted to see it, having had to drive to Lexington for their Siam Thai for several years before that. In my first review I had to give a glossary of Thai food words so readers would know what the dishes were. :mrgreen:
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:09 am

My lovely bride & I had our first date at Thai Siam in 1992 and the spicy, flavorful food must have worked its magic as we are still going strong 22 years later! I felt it had maintained its quality until the Thai family that opened and ran it sold it to a Chinese family. That created some controversy in the Thai community here. We wish them good fortune in whatever endeavour they find themselves in going forward.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:10 am

Ed Vermillion wrote:I felt it had maintained its quality until the Thai family that opened and ran it sold it to a Chinese family.

Do you remember about when that happened, Ed? I was acutely conscious that it had lost a step at some point, but didn't realize that the ownership (and their ethnic status) had changed.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:48 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Ed Vermillion wrote:I felt it had maintained its quality until the Thai family that opened and ran it sold it to a Chinese family.

Do you remember about when that happened, Ed? I was acutely conscious that it had lost a step at some point, but didn't realize that the ownership (and their ethnic status) had changed.

10-12 years ago, Robin.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:51 am

Ed Vermillion wrote:10-12 years ago, Robin.

Thanks, Ed. That's pretty consistent with my recollection that it was competitive with other Thai places through the '90s but then seemed to go more bland.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:17 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

10-12 years ago, Robin.

Uless I'm sadly mistaken, the Snows - who owned it - sold it to concentrate on the Holiday Manor Thai Cafe.
Andrew Mellman
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:46 pm

I was in high school at Atherton when that place opened. I remember thinking it was odd addition to that strip mall. Funny to realize it outlasted every other business in that center.
User

Tony_S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:51 pm

Louisville

by Tony_S » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:24 am

I'm not sure I got there in time to enjoy it. My only visit about a year ago was memorable only for poor service and really mediocre food.
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:04 pm

I was sorry to hear Thai-Siam closed...it was my first exposure to Thai cuisine (several years ago), though it's been awhile since my last visit, I always enjoyed their dishes...disappointed to hear comments from some that the quality had declined. I know "Simply Thai" has built a loyal following in the area, and I've dined there a few times (lunch)...but need to try it for dinner - haven't been overly-impressed with their lunch menu.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn