Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Heirloom Tomatoes deal!

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Heirloom Tomatoes deal!

by Deb Hall » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:38 pm

How about a U-pick for heirloom tomatoes? :D ( What a brilliant idea!) Local Farm Ambrosia Farms in Finchville js now doing a upick for their 82 varieties of heirloom tomatoes on Sundays. These look like they are GREAT tomatoes, folks- She just won multiple ribbons at the Fair, and if you check out their Facebook page you'll see she's supplying a number of the top chefs in town.

Per the owner, they are $2 lb, with a significant discount if you are buying more than 30 lbs. I'm going this Sunday. :D
Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Heirloom Tomatoes deal!

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:17 pm

Great catch, Deb. If we didn't have a garden full, I'd be on my way.

For help in getting there, here's a link to their Facebook page. Click on to "About" for address and a map.

https://www.facebook.com/AmbrosiaFarm
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:21 pm

:D Thanks, Robin.
Unfortunately the critters got almost all of the tomatoes yielded from my increasingly shaded garden. :x :x
I can't tell you how tickled I am to know this place exists. ( Actually, it's a wee bit sad.... :roll: )

Deb
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:07 pm

I'm out in Crestwood. On Central Ave. behind the grocery store and back a block sits a house with a double lot. In it he grows corn, heirloom tomatoes , pole beans, peppers, potatoes and sells them from a simple table every Saturday. Everything is $1 a pound. The tomatoes were fantastic! I suggested he post here (he reads the site.) but he said no. He sells out every weekend as it is. Yesterday by 1 PM he was gone. Oddly enough I've been there selecting tomatoes and watched women turn their nose at them because they were not uniform in color, shape and size like in the grocery store. I hope he will have some fall veggies too.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:12 am

I went to the heirloom tomato u-pick at Ambrosia Farms yesterday and had entirely too much fun. :D After a short , scenic 30 minute drive I arrived at the farm and had the fields basically to myself. Picking goes quickly, but with 82 varieties, the choosing did not. :wink: I know a lot of heirloom but had never seen or heard of many of the varieties I saw. Another nice benefit of picking your own I hadn't thought of until I was there: I could pick some underripe ones ( to store for another week)- if you pick them when they are not quite ripe yet,they ripen with full flavor on their own.
The prices were very low for heirlooms- $1.50lb, and then a significant discount as I bought over 30 lbs. ( talk to the owner about this ) Yum!

They are in Finchville practically next to the new outlet mall ( if you want to make it a two-fer trip :wink: )

Deb
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:59 am

Deb I checked out their web site. Wow! Beautiful photos! Looks like they are having a tomato tasting this Friday at 6:30. A great way to sample those 82 varieties. Might have to do that.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:13 am

Carla,
I tried to post my own pic but got a "file invalid" message. They were absolutely gorgeous- so many different shapes, sizes and colors. We had a tomato tasting feast of our own last night. :D
Last edited by Deb Hall on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:19 am

Deb Hall wrote:I tried to post my own pic but got a "file invalid" message.

Probably too large. If you'd like to mail it to me at rgarr@louisvillehotbytes.com, Deb, I'll see what I can do. :)