Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

Bistro New Albany Is Closed

by David Clancy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:20 pm

It is with a heavy heart that I have chosen to shut the doors of my labor of love. Due to circumstances beyond my control (mostly financial), my restaurant is closed as of 10/16/07. This was not an easy choice for me as I was so close to success that it is going to break my heart to see it end like this. I have run this place alone for well over a year and it has truly ruined me in every sense and, given the choice, I would do it all over again (only next time, I'll have a little more cash!). Thank you all for your support over the course of the last few years and wish me luck as I try to sort out a dead business and find some new direction to travel. If anyone is looking for an old washed up Chef, let me know!-Dave
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:27 pm

David, I am so sorry that this is happening. My very best wishes for you, as, in my opinion, you did a very fine job with your establishment.

Sometimes there is temporary defeat when we're really going places. And you're definitely going places.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Richard Rush

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:36 am

by Richard Rush » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:44 pm

Dave: I am sorry. I obviously didn't know the Chimay I had there Friday would be my last chance to patronize your place. Good luck on whatever you opt to do next.
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:48 pm

David,

My sincere apologies on the loss of your business. You were a shining beacon in the dismal pit that was downtown New Albany when you first opened your doors. You helped lead the charge in bringing downtown New Albany back. Your concept and execution were excellent, and you will be sorely missed, but I know you will land on your feet again, and soon.

Regards,

Todd
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Bistro New Albany Is Closed

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:08 pm

David Clancy wrote:It is with a heavy heart that I have chosen to shut the doors of my labor of love.

Dave, this is as bad a piece of news as I've seen here on the forum in a long time. Bistro New Albany was an outstanding dining room, and you were doing an amazing job under difficult circumstances of making it a destination.

I could angrily rant that downtown New Albany doesn't #$%*&ing DESERVE a renaissance if it treats its top spots like this, but that would just be frustration talking.

But I can certainly wish you the best in your next venture, wherever it may be, and urge you to hang in there, to keep us posted, and to know that you did an outstanding job by just about every other measure. Best wishes to you, sir.
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:20 pm

Dave,
Please know that my family enjoyed dining at Bistro New Albany. You had a great staff and a great concept and I only wish New Albany was more supportive of your venture. You overcame the partnership break up and it is terrible that it has to end this way. I know you will land on your feet. Defeat is a matter of attitude. You made a choice to close, that does not mean that you or the restaurant are failures. Under capitalization has killed many concepts. I would consider this a temporary set back in your bright future. Please let us all know where you land.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:46 pm

Nooooooooooooo!

We will miss your wonderful food. Do let us all know where you land. 'Cause we'll be there!
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:09 pm

You were a destination restaurant, sir. Several times we made the trip from Oldham County to dine in your home. We enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere. I can only echo the other forumites with the sentiment: Let us know where you land and we'll come a runnin'. Take care.
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:39 pm

We are sad to see you go. We really loved your food! Good Luck.
no avatar
User

Michele Melillo-Clem

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 am

East Market Street

by Michele Melillo-Clem » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:42 pm

Geeez I hate to hear that someone who worked so hard, and with the passion you had, not be able to hold on. I know how you feel as I too felt that uncertainty in my early days at Melillo's. I wish you luck - when one door closes, another opens.
It's the hand of the cook that expresses the heart.

Michele Melillo-Clem
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:03 pm

Well, damn.

I'll try to find you tomorrow, and we'll chat.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:49 am

No no no! I was just by there during the Harvest Homecoming and was so happy to see so many people there. You will be missed sir.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Trevor Semones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:38 pm

clarksville In

BISTRO NEW ALBANY

by Trevor Semones » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:19 am

It's a sad day in hoosierville. We will all miss your great food. Come over to Strattos and I'll buy you a beer. It seems The disgusting slop on veterans parkway claims another victim. When will the people of Southern Indiana learn to support their own? Hopefully before the
chains are the only thing left. Thanks for all the effort Dave.

[quote] "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker."
Ogden Nash :

Trevor Semones G.M Strattos
no avatar
User

John NA

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

by John NA » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:28 am

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. You have a great establishment and were one of downtown's leading lights! I hope that you find another spot and can continue to do your great work.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:33 am

thanks for the great food david
a great chef and plain good people

we'll miss the bistro

stop by the CPC and have some pizza and beer on us

i may try to drop by today and deliver some pie to you

truly a sad day for diners in the metro

keep us informed
and ask if you need some help

shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
Next