Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Mommas BBQ

no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

Mommas BBQ

by Tony G » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:37 pm

Stopped in today for lunch. It was not at ALL what I expected! Being located next door to a somewhat sketchy business, I thought I would walk in and order my Q from a counter. I opened the door to a beautiful dining room, that was packed! I sat at the bar (a really nice bar too, with quite a good selection of beers). Had the pulled pork sandwich, baked beans and a really good slaw. The pork portion was really good and moist. My preference is for a little more of a smoky taste but hey what I had was very good! Gonna have to go back and try the wings and ribs. Glad to report the place was packed for lunch.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Mommas BBQ

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:42 pm

Great! I think that space has been a couple of other nice restaurants.

You've got me curious about what's next-door, though. Can you give us a hint, Tony? I generally don't think of St Matthews as being "the hood" exactly. ;)
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:58 pm

The sketchy new, "Juice Bar" ? We hit up Mommas about twice a month for burnt ends and ribs. nice people with a good product.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Great! I think that space has been a couple of other nice restaurants.

You've got me curious about what's next-door, though. Can you give us a hint, Tony? I generally don't think of St Matthews as being "the hood" exactly. ;)

Robin, it's a smut shop...Which (I was told) ALSO happens to be owned by the same folks who own Momma's :shock:

Bill, definitely try the wings, I'd be interested on your take. The time I had them they were good...but a little too generous on a salty rub. I'd still order them again. As for the smokiness, I don't think anyone can replicate real "pit" BBQ in what amounts to a wood fired oven, which is what a lot of places use these days. Not saying you can't make good BBQ, it's just a different flavor profile.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:18 pm

This was on Hurstbourne Ln, right near the Shelbyville Rd intersection. It's a Cirillas?? With paper covering the windows so you can't see the products inside. But......is there another Mommas in St Matthews???
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:28 pm

Tony G wrote:This was on Hurstbourne Ln, right near the Shelbyville Rd intersection. It's a Cirillas?? With paper covering the windows so you can't see the products inside. But......is there another Mommas in St Matthews???

Oops, sorry, Tony! I wasn't paying enough attention. I was thinking of Momma's Mustard, Pickles & BBQ, 102 Bauer Ave., http://www.mommasbbq.com/

Someone else's Momma, I guess! :oops:
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

by Rick Boman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:29 pm

Tony G wrote:This was on Hurstbourne Ln, right near the Shelbyville Rd intersection. It's a Cirillas?? With paper covering the windows so you can't see the products inside. But......is there another Mommas in St Matthews???

They have 2 locations and a food truck.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:02 pm

Rick Boman wrote:

They have 2 locations and a food truck.

Don't forget the fact they also have great food! Their Burnt Ends are also great! Anything we've have there has been very good but there's more we'd like to try. I saw their food truck for the 1st time today but it wasn't open, is it in service yet? Does anybody know where they post the information about where it's going to be?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:14 pm

I went to the one on Hurstbourne, and was not impressed.....plus it's priced higher than most Q in town.

I don't plan on a return for ribs....and that's what I go for Q for!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:33 pm

They have the best wings in the city. Farill.
no avatar
User

Taylor Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:00 pm

by Taylor Rich » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:53 am

My husband and I were out for a couple drinks after work last night. I usually pick where we eat, mostly because he knows I love food more than him. A BBQ joint is never on my list of places to go. However, I know he loves it so last night when he mentioned Momma's after a couple beers I was agreeable. Wow.

Those wings! They were liberal with the salt/spice rub, smokey and crispy. Seriously the best wings around. I had read the rave reviews on here but I had no idea. Everything else was really good. We had the brisket and a couple well prepared sides. In the future, we'll just order more wings. I'm glad I compromised on this one, we'll be back!
no avatar
User

Scott S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:32 am

by Scott S » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:46 am

Agreed on the wings. I had some from the food truck a few weeks ago and they were incredibly good, about as good of wings as I've ever had.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:32 pm

I go to Momma's for beef ribs, burnt ends, and wings. I didn't think the pork ribs were memorable, either. Luckily there are plenty of options for pork ribs in this town.
no avatar
User

mark.sheridan

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:31 pm

by mark.sheridan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:35 pm

You should try SmokeHawgs out for lunch at the corner of plantside & Bunsen...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:33 am

mark.sheridan wrote:You should try SmokeHawgs out for lunch at the corner of plantside & Bunsen...

Hi, Mark! Thanks for posting! Just in the interest of disclosure, though, aren't you involved with SmokeHawgs? Great place, but it's our custom here to let folks know when we're tooting our own horn.
Next