Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Where to launch model rocket?

User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

Where to launch model rocket?

by Nimbus Couzin » Sat May 31, 2014 11:25 pm

Any ideas for where we can go to safely launch a model rocket? Basically, need a large field, ideally with no trees and no large roadways nearby.
-Thanks for any ideas!
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

Re: Where to launch model rocket?

by Gary Guss » Sat May 31, 2014 11:39 pm

Tom Sawyer Park.. maybe from the Model airplane field anyway lots of open flat space
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:06 pm

Gary's idea was my first thought. You might consider Creason Park in the flat area near the intersection of Newburg Road and Trevilian.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:17 pm

Nimbus Couzin wrote:Any ideas for where we can go to safely launch a model rocket? Basically, need a large field, ideally with no trees and no large roadways nearby.
-Thanks for any ideas!

Dude...you need to get out of the city more often.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:00 pm

Do you hope to retrieve the rocket, or will it destruct as part of the operation? If the latter, Cox Park on Upper River Road might work, r the water company's park out in Prospect: Shoot out over the Ohio.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:59 pm

I believe U of L has a rocket club. You might check with them and see where they recommend.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Back in "the day" (defined as before parents had to monitor your every move and/or the creation of PETA) one of the guys in the old neighborhood built something similar to this Estes "X-Ray"...We tried to launch my buddies kid sister's hamster into "orbit" but had a major launching pad conflagration (likely due an issue with weight to thrust ratio...something they didn't teach us in 6th grade math). Unfortunately the hamster didn't make it. We were MUCH more successful using small toads...although none of them survived their respective missions either. 8)

Rocket.jpg
Rocket.jpg (7.7 KiB) Viewed 10308 times
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:37 am

Steve P wrote:Back in "the day" (defined as before parents had to monitor your every move and/or the creation of PETA) one of the guys in the old neighborhood built something similar to this Estes "X-Ray"...We tried to launch my buddies kid sister's hamster into "orbit" but had a major launching pad conflagration (likely due an issue with weight to thrust ratio...something they didn't teach us in 6th grade math). Unfortunately the hamster didn't make it. We were MUCH more successful using small toads...although none of them survived their respective missions either. 8)

Bet you still have nightmares involving toads and hamsters.
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nimbus Couzin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:10 pm

Steve P wrote:
Nimbus Couzin wrote:Any ideas for where we can go to safely launch a model rocket? Basically, need a large field, ideally with no trees and no large roadways nearby.
-Thanks for any ideas!

Dude...you need to get out of the city more often.

Agreed
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nimbus Couzin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Do you hope to retrieve the rocket, or will it destruct as part of the operation? If the latter, Cox Park on Upper River Road might work, r the water company's park out in Prospect: Shoot out over the Ohio.

Yeah, it has a parachute, which is why I don't want it ending up in a tree. (or a river :) )
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nimbus Couzin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:13 pm

Carla G wrote:I believe U of L has a rocket club. You might check with them and see where they recommend.

They do. I had forgotten about them. Tom Sounds like the best bet so far. Joe Creason is more convenient, but with wind I worry about the trees all over. These things go high!
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

John S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:11 pm

by John S » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:40 am

I recall launching a model rocket in McNeely Lake Park around 15 years ago. The wind was fairly calm that day and it seemed like a big enough area for the launch. While there was little wind at ground level, I hadn't considered the winds a few hundred feet up. The parachute caught the wind and the rocket blew far away. I never found it. That was the end of my rocket-launching career.

With that said, I learned a few lessons. Perhaps a streamer would be better than a parachute for guiding the rocket back to the ground when you don't have an enormous open area. Or maybe using an engine that has a several second delay between the thrust stage and the stage the ejects the parachute would be good.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:59 am

John S wrote:I recall launching a model rocket in McNeely Lake Park around 15 years ago. The wind was fairly calm that day and it seemed like a big enough area for the launch. While there was little wind at ground level, I hadn't considered the winds a few hundred feet up. The parachute caught the wind and the rocket blew far away. I never found it. That was the end of my rocket-launching career.

With that said, I learned a few lessons. Perhaps a streamer would be better than a parachute for guiding the rocket back to the ground when you don't have an enormous open area. Or maybe using an engine that has a several second delay between the thrust stage and the stage the ejects the parachute would be good.

McNeely was always where my hubby would go to do his launches, well there or our church and since we don't go there anymore I cant recommend them as a launch site. I used to hear so many stories of "The egg-go -up" hubby and his brother trying to successfully launch an egg and bring it safely back to earth...nice memories since we lost his brother in Jan.