Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Super Healthy Food Suggestions

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Super Healthy Food Suggestions

by Kim H » Thu May 22, 2014 1:20 pm

Hi, question here. We eat relatively healthy, but I want to get on some super food diet. I'm not trying to jump on some fad band wagon, but have had some health situations that are causing me concern. Digestion and bloating is one, and is causing me to lose weight due to difficulty eating. Family is worried about me, yada. I don't want to gain weight, to be honest, but want to be healthy. I've done a lot of research on my own, but suggestions of great foods from a bunch of the best foodies I know of would be so appreciated. Recipes would be a bonus! TIA
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

Re: Super Healthy Food Suggestions

by Kim H » Thu May 22, 2014 1:52 pm

I should add that I'm not afraid of vegetarian, vegan, non-dairy, etc, but hubby is a committed carnivore. I will still eat meat and seafood, but it's not a requirement for me as long as I get complete protein.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu May 22, 2014 1:57 pm

I just ran across this a few hours ago.

The 11 Healthiest Foods in the World

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/ ... 00563.html
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu May 22, 2014 2:56 pm

Thank you, Justin! Downloaded app, looking at it. I have a bunch of ideas from my research, but I need assistance! Thx again!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 22, 2014 3:02 pm

Kim, this "listicle" from UC Berkeley is more general than specific, outlining overall guides to healthy, nutritious eating more than explicit dish advice, but you might find it good background reading.
http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy ... lideid_190

I'm sure this goes without saying, but I assume you've got your family physician on the case as well. Being a Guy, if I were going through something like you described I'd probably try to gut it out and hope it would go away, but I can hear Mary nudging me in the direction of the doc's office. :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 22, 2014 3:09 pm

And considering that you did ask for specific recipes, here's a red-lentil stew I came up with a couple of months ago that's entirely plant-based but is "meaty" enough to make anyone but the most obligate carnivore happy. Full of protein, too ...

Red lentil stew worth an inheritance

Considering the bible story of Jacob persuading his brother Esau to sell him his firstborn’s inheritance rights for a lunch of lentil stew (“pottage”), you might be tempted to think that lentil stew wasn’t worth much. But I’m here to tell you that lentils can make a mighty comforting dinner.

Healthy and nutritious, packed with protein and bursting with meaty flavor, these tiny legumes can make a filling meal. They come in a pretty variety of colors, but I’m particularly fond of red lentils, which cook up fairly quickly into a comforting stew. Or pottage, if an inheritance is at stake.

Not long ago, I built a pilaf-style dish with a mix of red lentils, lima beans and basmati rice cooked with aromatic flavors. Tonight I tried this approach without the rice and was delighted with the result, a quick and simple stew, satisfying and loaded with flavor.

To make enough for two, I rinsed 1/2 cup of red lentils very well in several changes of water, then set them aside to drain in a strainer while I browned 1 cup of sliced onions with about 1/2 tablespoon each of minced garlic and fresh ginger. When the onions were brown and aromatic, I stirred in the drained lentils, 1 cup of thawed frozen lima beans, and 1 cup water. I brought it up to a simmer and added another cup of flavoring mix made with 1 tablespoon tomato paste, 1 tablespoon chili sauce, a dash of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of chopped green chiles and enough water to bring the total up to 1 cup.

Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft but retain their shapes and the liquid is absorbed. (Add a little water if needed.) Check seasonings and salt to taste only at the end of cooking.

Hey, Esau! What’ll you give me for a bowl of this delicious pottage?
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu May 22, 2014 7:05 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Kim, this "listicle" from UC Berkeley is more general than specific, outlining overall guides to healthy, nutritious eating more than explicit dish advice, but you might find it good background reading.
http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy ... lideid_190

I'm sure this goes without saying, but I assume you've got your family physician on the case as well. Being a Guy, if I were going through something like you described I'd probably try to gut it out and hope it would go away, but I can hear Mary nudging me in the direction of the doc's office. :)

Thx for the article, Robin! I'll dig into that this evening (lol)

Good advice on the physician. Me and the doc are like this ... (sound of crickets)
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu May 22, 2014 7:21 pm

Robin Garr wrote:And considering that you did ask for specific recipes, here's a red-lentil stew I came up with a couple of months ago that's entirely plant-based but is "meaty" enough to make anyone but the most obligate carnivore happy. Full of protein, too ...

I have to check, but I believe this us one of your recipes that I saved. Hubby loves lentils, it's one veg dish I can get away with. Remember Istanbul Palace? I mimicked their lentil-mint soup, and he'll even eat that in the summer. He typically doesn't like soup in the summer, I like it all year round. I'm eating it in a/c anyway! This recipe looks fun, I'll try it! Red lentils in the pantry leftover from dal a while back. Oh, what kind of chili sauce?
User

Kristina J Addington

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:13 am

Old Louisville

by Kristina J Addington » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:26 pm

For a super food diet I'd suggest vegan because I'm thrilled with my own personal health. But for starters I'd at least recommend moving away from red meat, most dairy, and try cutting out gluten for a couple of weeks. I'm no longer completely gluten-free but my bloating went away completely when I cut it out for a week. Do smoothies with almond milk for one or even two meals a day.

Maybe check out some motivational documentaries - Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead (juicing), or Forks Over Knives (plant-based).

My speciality is southern stick-to-your-ribs food, but completely plant-based, so much healthier. If you have any specific recipes, meals, or foods that you or the hubs don't want to give up, shoot me a message and I'd be happy to suggest how to make them healthier without loosing the flavor.
Chef Kristina J. Addington
http://www.VeganTemptress.com
First Vegan Chef to win Food Network's Cutthroat Kitchen
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:33 pm

I concur with Kristina. If you haven't seen it watch the documentary "Forks Over Knives". Very informative. And bonus - they are not trying to sell you anything. No pre-prepared foods, no shakes, no dietary additives . I started the diet almost a year ago. Had some issues with getting enough proteins and found out I have an iron absorption issue so I, personally, cannot go totally vegan. I have limited my animal protein intake dramatically and have been very pleased with the results. AND the great thing about this study is you cando it in association with any meds your doctor may see fit to have you on.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:59 pm

I agree, Forks over Knives and Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead should be seen by everyone.

related to these films:

nutritarian diet of Joel Fuhrman: http://www.drfuhrman.com/

Engine 2 diet: http://engine2diet.com/

Dr Esselstyn: http://www.dresselstyn.com/