Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Seismic activity?

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Seismic activity?

by Carla G » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:14 pm

So, I am wondering, with the fairly good size sink hole at the Corvette Museum and now this underground , ruptured natural gas line explosion in Adair County (not too far from Bowling Green) does this sound like seismic activity along the New Madrid fault line to anyone else besides me?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Seismic activity?

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:17 pm

Sinkholes are more typical of the karst geology that gives us Mammoth Cave and Bourbon whiskey. 8)

Natural gas explosions tend to explain themselves, especially if there's any fracking going on. :twisted:

Not that the New Madrid is anything to joke about, but Memphis and St Louis have a lot more to worry about than we do. "It's not our fault." :lol:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:16 am

Wellllll...I was just wondering. :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:41 am

Carla G wrote:Wellllll...I was just wondering. :D

Could be! I saw something about this in the media after you posted, Carla. Maybe the CJ, maybe on Facebook. If it was on Facebook, it must be true! :mrgreen:
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:51 am

Wouldn't surprise me....everything I've read says the area along that fault is one of the most likely areas to experience a major quake...with potential major damage as far north as Louisville should it ever let go. As silly as it sounds, I've got an earthquake rider on my home owners insurance...yeah it costs a few bucks a year on my policy and yeah the deductible is pretty high...BUT.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:17 pm

Steve P wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me....everything I've read says the area along that fault is one of the most likely areas to experience a major quake...with potential major damage as far north as Louisville should it ever let go. As silly as it sounds, I've got an earthquake rider on my home owners insurance...yeah it costs a few bucks a year on my policy and yeah the deductible is pretty high...BUT.

I have EQ insurance also. In addition, I'll raise you a "Sinkhole Endorsement".
That said, before we get too smug about EQ insurance, if the big one ever happens along the New Madrid, you better hope your homeowners insurer is up to par on their reinsurance programs. If not, when (not if) the primary carrier bellies-up, you may be collecting pennies on the dollar...at best.
no avatar
User

John S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:11 pm

by John S » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:44 pm

With the exception of far eastern portions of Jefferson County and a very small area on the southern border with Bullitt County, you should be safe from worries about karst topography in Louisville. But surrounding counties have significant potential for karst. With the soils and bedrock present in the Ohio Valley, there is potential for a large earthquake along the New Madrid fault system to have an impact on Louisville.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:40 am

I seem to remember some seismic activity along the New Madrid that was felt in Louisville as recently as the 1980s. Then came the big scare it was only a prelude to a bigger jiggle that never happened.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:57 am

Carla G wrote:I seem to remember some seismic activity along the New Madrid that was felt in Louisville as recently as the 1980s. Then came the big scare it was only a prelude to a bigger jiggle that never happened.

Seems to be just a matter of when, not if - although who knows if it is in our lifetimes.

I grew up in BG and learned to rappel down the inside of a giant sinkhole in my neighborhood. Almost surreal to think about one that large that backed up to a home.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:27 pm

Back in the day, the Government decided to have an earthquake drill. Louisville EMS and Jefferson County EMS did a standard call back test. When they called I was asked how long it would take me to report to work if we had an earthquake. I said it depends. Depends on what I was asked. Depends on whether I am inside or outside the Watterson because most, if not all, of the overpasses will probably collapse. Apparently it caused quite a stir because a new policy came out that personnel inside were to report to City EMS HQ (inside) and those outside were to report to JCEMS HQ (outside) in case of earthquake. Made me think about my daily travels and how many overpasses I went over and under. :?
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"