Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Did anti-Obamacare rants cost "Papa" big-time?

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:22 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve P wrote:.Last fall one of our "local" independent Louisville pizza restaurants was giving a 10 percent discount if you flashed your concealed carry permit at checkout.

I missed that. Would you mind disclosing just which local pizza restaurant that was so I can avoid them forever?

Here's one in Virginia Beach, but Da Google turns up no similar hits for Louisville. If true, they must have kept it ... well concealed. :mrgreen:

A Virginia Beach pizza shop owner is showing his support for firearm rights by giving gun owners a 15 percent discount — an action that will surely catch the ire of firearms control advocates.

Jay Laze is giving the discount to anyone who brings a gun or concealed handgun permit to All Around Pizzas and Deli. While he says the deal was initially planned for a limited time, the response has been so positive that he’s considering making it permanent.
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:20 pm

Robin Garr wrote:If you want to critique corporate pizza based on politics, though, do you know that Dominos opens a whole nuther can of worms than Papa J? Its founder, Tom Monaghan, is an extreme right-wing...

He sold the last of his stock ten years ago so buying a Dominos pie doesn't support him. I suppose I'd be willing to try one of their pies if only because their massive mea culpa about how crappy it had become was fairly unique in the corporate world.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:35 pm

FYI Papa John's did undergo a stock split:

http://www.pizzamarketplace.com/article ... -investors

From that story:

After a stock split, Papa John's shares finished last week at $45.32, from $44.97 adjusted the week prior. PZZA hit a 52-week high of $46.90 earlier last week. Its low of $24.94 was a year ago.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:58 pm

DanB wrote:He sold the last of his stock ten years ago so buying a Dominos pie doesn't support him.

It would still be interesting to know whether Opus Dei has left the building or if the culture wars DNA still courses through its circulatory system. I realize that's not MBA logic, but then, look what the Chicago School has done to the world over the past 30 year or so. :shock:
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:48 pm

BlackRock Advisors LLC
Cedar Rock Capital Ltd
Fidelity Management and Research Company
Vanguard Group, Inc.
Capital Research Global Investors
BlackRock Fund Advisors
Capital World Investors

These are the major shareholders in Dominos. I spent 20 years working closely with all of them except for Cedar Rock. I can guarantee you that none of them give two poops about Opus Dei. All they care about is getting the best return they can for their funds. I doubt they would tolerate any silliness from some Catholic sub-cult.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:14 pm

Jason G wrote: I was pretty upset about chik fil a but i'm not gonna punish some local franchisee because the CEO has stereotypical viewpoints.

Normally, I totally agree with you, and I don't really want to reopen the prior thread about CFA, but here I very much disagree. Chick-fil-a mandates that every single franchisee has the same views as it's founder! They can spend 2+ years validating a potential franchisee's religious and political views, interview his pastor/children et al ("his" because there are few women franchisees), and ask specific questions to guarantee that the potential franchisee is in fact a card-carrying conservative religious believer with "correct" political views. Check on the Net for the vetting process!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:42 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:
Jason G wrote: I was pretty upset about chik fil a but i'm not gonna punish some local franchisee because the CEO has stereotypical viewpoints.

Normally, I totally agree with you, and I don't really want to reopen the prior thread about CFA, but here I very much disagree. Chick-fil-a mandates that every single franchisee has the same views as it's founder! They can spend 2+ years validating a potential franchisee's religious and political views, interview his pastor/children et al ("his" because there are few women franchisees), and ask specific questions to guarantee that the potential franchisee is in fact a card-carrying conservative religious believer with "correct" political views. Check on the Net for the vetting process!

??? is that even legal??
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:15 pm

Jason G wrote: ??? is that even legal??

Unfortunately, it probably gives because they aren't really hiring you as such, but wouldn't be considered discrimination in the hiring process.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:11 am

Robin Garr wrote:Personally, I'd rather go with a local like Coal's or Papalino's or Boombozz or Impellizzeri's (etc.) than any of the corporate chains. "Local ownership, better pizza."

^ This.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:16 am

Richard S. wrote:FYI Papa John's did undergo a stock split:

http://www.pizzamarketplace.com/article ... -investors

From that story:

After a stock split, Papa John's shares finished last week at $45.32, from $44.97 adjusted the week prior. PZZA hit a 52-week high of $46.90 earlier last week. Its low of $24.94 was a year ago.

Good find. I couldnt find anything else out there to show why Google was listing there stock at $89 a share prior to 30 Dec and no one else was. I guess Goggle didnt adjust for the split?
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:18 am

(Shrugging)
Maybe Google and a Rush Limbaugh use the same "fact finder"?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Previous