Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

Cable Tv rate up again - a lot!

by Gordon M Lowe » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:06 pm

I just opened my mail today, and found my Time Warner Cable bill is $74.30. That's almost $10 higher than last month. It appears they increased their charge by $8, and the rest is tax. My cable Tv is just basic; there are no movie channels or extras included. This is just crazy, and it makes me want to look at U-Verse, but I'm not sure AT&T's Tv/internet/phone package is any better for me in the long run.

I use Time Warner just for basic monthly cable, which now is ~$75. I use AT&T for basic internet DSL(3 Meg), plus analogue phone line, and that costs me about $100 a month. I'm afraid that if I go to AT&T's U-verse they will make me switch my phone line to digital, and even though it might be an overall $ savings, I hate the sound quality of digital phone lines(VOIP), plus my burglar alarm needs an analogue phone signal.

So... this was just a rant about Time Warner taking advantage of old customers like me. :(
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Cable Tv rate up again - a lot!

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:58 pm

We abandoned cable TV about a year ago, and I haven't been sorry except during an occasional sports event (like the U of L/NCAA Final) that was carried only on ESPN, grrrrr. Ask me again during World Cup, though. I may have to come back for a month. We also got rid of all our landlines except one no-frills phone for fax and emergencies.

Meanwhile, we're getting cable-quality broadcast, with all the sub-channels, from a high-tech digital antenna up in the attic that an old radio-engineer friend gave us. :mrgreen: Still paying TW about $50/mo for 20mbps Internet, about $20/mo to a combination of Netflix and Hulu Plus streaming and Amazon Prime; and, of course about $100/mo for my pricey iPhone and Mary's cheap no-name phone. Oh, and about $10 a month for Grasshopper.com, an online service that takes all the calls to all our old landlines and sends us an Email when we have a message. :D

We have definitely come out ahead. Knocking off all the cable channels and replacing them with free broadcast plus streaming looks huge on paper, and having dumped three landline phones formerly used for home and business does too. But it's still a fair chunk of change at the end of the month when we add up all the telecomms.

Back to the point, though, yes, Time-Warner Cable BITES! :twisted:
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:23 pm

I am so fed up with Time Warner it is not funny. The price increase is just the tip of the iceberg...don't know if you all remember or not but my son that has had the serious illness over the past year has been one of their Tech Support employees for over 3 and a half years that was until they fired him when he went on long term disability...he cannot afford cobra so he is without health insurance until his Medicaid kicks in in January. Not once did when he was in the hospital did any of his managers call or send a card ,,,nothing....Just a bad place
:cry:
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:55 pm

I've been a DirecTV customer for at least 16 years and would -never- (ever) think of changing...We have always been totally satisfied with it. My bill for their "Ultimate" package runs (roughly) 90 bucks a month, this with one DVR and two additional receivers. The -only- complaint I have is that very -occasionally- the service will go out for a short time during severe weather but I counter that minor inconvenience with the caveat that you probably shouldn't be watching TV in the middle of a severe T-storm, no matter WHO your provider is. One of the -huge- pluses of DirecTV is that on those rare occasions when I've had to call customer service (maybe once a year) I'm talking with a real human being within a minute of dialing the number. Any problem I've ever had has been resolved quickly and to my complete satisfaction.

One thing I would not do is get DirecTV as part of a "bundle"...
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:32 pm

I am ashamed to admit we were also happy Directv customers until my son went to work for Insight and talked us into dropping Directv. One thing I can say is with us living in Bullitt county our DSL thru Windstream was awful so that was a factor also. I still don't know what we are going to do I like my cable internet, my husband is old school and don't think he would ever think of giving up our landline phone even though the 3 of us carry cell phones with plenty of minutes available, we already have both Netflix and Hulu Plus but there is the odd channel here and there I know we all would miss. :?
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:02 pm

I guess I'm one of those old schoolers who prefers the sound quality on a traditional analogue land line to anything cellular or VOIP. My job's phones are VOIP and combined with the echoing effect of cell phones, it often sounds like I'm listening to somebody down in a well with a pillow over his face. This pretty much eliminates any interest I would have in switching to U-Verse or having Time Warner bundle my phone with cable because they'd both be making me go to a digital phone line. A satellite TV service like Direc-Tv might actually be very good, but that's more than what I'm paying for Time Warner, and I don't need the DVR. I still use a VCR. :)