Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

New Indian restaurant in Middletown

by Rich S » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:05 pm

There's a "coming soon" sign for Clay Oven Indian Restaurant next to the Kroger on Shelbyville Road in Middletown. I couldn't find a website for the place, and the sign doesn't say when it will open.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: New Indian restaurant in Middletown

by Mark R. » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:27 pm

We saw the sign for that last week and wondered about it also. Doesn't look like they've done much work yet on the building so I'm sure it will be a while. It'll be interesting to see what it's like.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:45 pm

They are open, have a Facebook page and a lunch buffet, anyone been yet?
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:46 pm

Haven't been yet but they have a website:
http://www.clayovenlouisville.com
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mary Anne » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:18 pm

Took one for the team. Turned out it's Senior Wednesday at Kroger. Met my friend there and got a table behind an elderly couple who completely preoccupied me for the entire meal. Well, she of the couple preoccupied me...Hideously allergic to garlic and insistent that she did not want to order off the menu and wanted the buffet, the staff was unceasingly patient and kind to her as she asked them over and over and over which dishes had garlic. What about this one? What about this? This is why I do not wait tables and always over tip. Do they take Shalimar coupons? Why not?! :roll:

Buffet was good, lots of options for every taste. The usual suspects and a few extra, some "asian inspired" Indian dishes, one they were calling chow mein, one sesame chicken, neither were what you'd expect, but both were tasty. They are posting their buffet items on their Facebook page every day. Today was: Tomato Shorba, Rice Pulao, Basmati Rice, Goat Curry, Tandori Chicken, Chicken Tikka Masala, Chicken Sesame, Vegetable Pakora, Naan, Chana Saag, Dal Tadka, Aloo Bell pepper, Cabbage Masala, Gulab Jamun, Rice Pudding, Mango Fruit Pudding, Gajar Halwa, Samosa Chaat, Garden Salad, Kachumber Salad, Raita, Tamarind Sauce, Hot Sauce , Onion Chutney, Mint Chutney, Fresh Fruits and more. Heat level is very very low, I mentioned this to our attentive server Budda and he said they were unprepared for people wanting more spicy food, and they are going to ramp up the heat level going forward. Service was great, very attentive and friendly, and like I said, incredibly patient with the anti-garlic lady. By the time we left she was calling for a dinner menu. :shock:
no avatar
User

looi

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:23 pm

by looi » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:30 am

Asian inspired? the last time I checked, India and the whole subcontinent is still in Asia, south Asia.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:21 am

looi wrote:Asian inspired? the last time I checked, India and the whole subcontinent is still in Asia, south Asia.

Perhaps these dishes are what many Indians call "Indo-Chinese," which is parallel to what we call "Chinese-American"?
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mary Anne » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:43 am

looi wrote:Asian inspired? the last time I checked, India and the whole subcontinent is still in Asia, south Asia.

Thank you for the correction Looi. It is true, India is Asia, but when I hear anyone talk about Asian food, Indian food doesn't come to mind. Or at least doesn't come to my mind. This was indeed Indo Chinese, Chinese/American with an Indian spin. Their menu says that they are the "aroma of the Himalayas". :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:09 am

Mary Anne wrote: This was indeed Indo Chinese, Chinese/American with an Indian spin. Their menu says that they are the "aroma of the Himalayas". :)

Sitar on Bardstown, and I think Bombay Grill on North Hurstbourne, have "Indo-Chinese" menu sections, and the dishes therein are some of the hottest I have ever had in Louisville. :oops:
no avatar
User

Jason M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:51 pm

by Jason M » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:29 am

Robin Garr wrote:

Perhaps these dishes are what many Indians call "Indo-Chinese," which is parallel to what we call "Chinese-American"?

They have a small Nepali menu, which has elements of Indian and Chinese cuisines.

I also had lunch at Clay Oven yesterday. I would say the vegetarian dishes were outstanding, with good variety and a couple of things I had not seen at other local places. The meat dishes, however, were limited in number (Chicken Tikka Masala, Goat Curry, and Sesame Chicken) and frankly were not that great.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:15 pm

While I don't go wild for Indo-Chinese, I tend to interpret its presence as a sign that a restaurant is expecting a significant South Asian clientele -- definitely a good thing in my book. I am particularly excited by the presence of momos. Is this place run by Nepalese?
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Dak-shin has a whole menu section devoted to Indo-Chinese dishes.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:57 pm

Dakshin kicks ass. One of my favorites. They have a tamarind okra dish and a peanut eggplant dish I've never had anywhere else.