Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Blind Pig closing Saturday :(

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:42 pm

I thought the guys had weathered the storm with the final decision on their liquor license after the debacle with Meat, but alas, I just got word from proprietor Joseph Frase. The Pig is dead. Long live the Pig.

From Joseph:

It is with a heavy heart i must inform you all The Blind Pig will be closing Saturday, October 19th. Due to a legal dispute with our new landlord. I know this will bring great joy to certain people, but what does it say about you who revel in the shattered lifelong dream of someone who has put everything thing he had into making his dream a reality?

thank you all for your amazing support over the past 3 years. We will miss you all.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

Re: Blind Pig closing Saturday :(

by BevP » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:35 pm

I am so sad! :(
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Joseph and the Blind Pig Team-
So sad to see you close. We love The Pig! Condolences to the entire team- you did great stuff.
Deb
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Truly saddening. It was a most wonderful restaurant.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:29 pm

Tough loss. We lunched there often as it was directly across from our office. Very nice space and a good menu. :(
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Don't forget they are still open through this week. We just came back from dinner there, food and service awesome as ever. :(
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Jason H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:01 pm

by Jason H » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:38 pm

I don't care about personal politics or which former employees hate this place or that, but I feel it is wrong for the Blind Pig to be closing. I mean for a few years they have served awesome food. It was very busy on weekends.

I am not a lawyer, but I wish they could move to another location. I am sad that the Blind Pig, 732 Social, Lynn's, and Meat have all closed. I know we are a hot foodie town, but these closings I believe show that no matter how busy/popular a place is, it may be doomed.

Aren't some place worth saving/fighting for?

Man this just plain sucks. And whoever said Butchertown is up and coming is dead wrong. Now it has lost two businesses. Sorry, but people are not flocking to live there and losing these two popular establishments will only hurt.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:01 pm

I want to believe this isn't the real death, but simply a rebirth.

If I had 200k to invest, I'd drop it on the Pig team.

Quickly and easily.
no avatar
User

Holly Hill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:59 pm

by Holly Hill » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:09 am

This is horrible news.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:47 am

From the C-J story on this, yesterday:

But in an interview, Frase said he’s not so sure this is the end for Blind Pig. “I’m not sure what’s going to happen now,” he said. Frase said that after the Facebook post, a possible solution emerged with SP Holdings.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... 3310150088
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:57 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:From the C-J story on this, yesterday:

But in an interview, Frase said he’s not so sure this is the end for Blind Pig. “I’m not sure what’s going to happen now,” he said. Frase said that after the Facebook post, a possible solution emerged with SP Holdings.

Joseph's partner, Michael, posted something similar on my Facebook yesterday. D'oh, I should have copied it over here, but I thought Mike would.

This is Mike from the Blind Pig. The only way we could stay open is to find an investor that can help us. If anyone knows someone that may be able to help - please call Joe @ 291-1074 or the pig at 618-0600
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:51 pm

I love Butchertown, and I hate to hear this. While not anywhere near as successful, Pegasus Restaurant, on Story, across from Hall's Cafeteria, is something I still miss. Pegasus(1994-ish) was going to start a microbrewery. That was around the time of the Silo Brew Pub. The Pegasus property(formerly Oertel's '92) is now an event company of some sort, and Silo became Jillians, and now is a Diamonds billiards, I think.
no avatar
User

Mike G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:15 pm

downtown

by Mike G » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks Robin and Hotbytes fans for all your support. Here's a link to a WDRB story just posted, please make sure you read the entire article so you understand what's been going on. :-(

http://www.wdrb.com/story/23707702/blin ... aying-rent
Michael L Grider ( not an imposter ) co owner of The Blind Pig
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:50 pm

Gordon M Lowe wrote:Pegasus Restaurant, on Story, across from Hall's Cafeteria, is something I still miss. Pegasus(1994-ish) was going to start a microbrewery. The Pegasus property(formerly Oertel's '92)

Your memory is correct. Pegasus opened the first week in April 1994 and we were there shortly after. The property was indeed the old Oertel's '92 and the staff said a microbrewery was planned. They had no on-site brew but had a nice list of imports. This was our main watering hole on Fridays until they closed after five months in early September.
At the time the C-J cited, in a neat closing of the thread's continuity loop if I do say so, a dispute with the landlord.
We like Blind Pig a lot and it sure looked like a mint was sunk into that property. The spirit of the place is really closely linked to the neighborhood so I hope a way can be found to continue.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:47 am

Just viewed the WAVE 3 segment on the closing. What struck me was the way the landlord was citing "non-payment of rent" when in fact TBPs rent checks had been refused. Such a statement by the landlord could be very damaging to TBPs reputation and make securing a new site difficult. That's bordering on libel to me. It certainly seems like they not only want the building space back but want Joseph's business exterminated. Such underhanded business dealings will darken any other business coming in behind TBP. Or it will at least for some of us.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Next