Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

How about the 'new' CJ?

by Ellen P » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:25 am

Received today.
I wonder how much longer we'll have a print version then the digital version? Sad. Period of adjustment. We are some of the 'old' subscribers who continued to get the Times until the very end - even when it was the same as the morning CJ. Been reading/looking at the paper since grade school (and now I'm a great grandmother). I do use my IPad and PC a lot and the IPhone when we're out and especially out of town. But the CJ has made such a impact on important issues over the decades, I wonder who will carry on the torch? Are those days over too? Activists on their own? Will local tv do the investigating reporting? They seem to be doing a lot of the sensational stuff = reality tv.
If I thought all these changes were for the good, I'd be alright, but we don't seem to be heading in a good direction, as a nation. Need to find our way. I don't go to church, so I'm not pushing anyone toward a religion but a more spiritual path. Yeah, right..... :(
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: How about the 'new' CJ?

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:21 am

Ellen, this is a hot-button issue for me because I lived through the onslaught at the CJ. As I held the mini-CJ this morning and read the publisher's article, my heart just ached. The whole long slide was really about greed, first among Barry Bingham Sr.'s children and grandchildren, then the corporate moguls at Gannett Corp. The corporate drones thought they could get rich by cutting corners on people and product, and I guess they did, but the city and state have been the losers. This is just one more step, and it's pitiful.

My best guess is that the Internet is loosely, irregularly taking over. I do get a lot of my news from The New York Times now, in print and online with a paid subscription, and local news from ... well, here, and Facebook, and other sources, although you have to pick and choose as there's some pretty bad stuff out there too.

I rarely go to the CJ Website, by the way. It's the same poor content, and I don't like to give them traffic or encourage others to do so.

I'm afraid the only way we're likely to see a solid internet alternative under a single flag would be for someone like the Binghams to come along, again, with a personal fortune and a community-service commitment that would inspire them, as the Binghams were inspired for so long, to put top priority on the community with the understanding that even a 2 percent return on investment would give them mansions in Glenview and more wealth than their children and children's children could ever spend.

But that wasn't enough for Gannett, or for much of corporate America, and that's why the Baby Boom will probably be the last generation to do better and have higher hopes than their parents did.

In the Desert
BY STEPHEN CRANE

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said, “Is it good, friend?”
“It is bitter - bitter,” he answered;

“But I like it
“Because it is bitter,
“And because it is my heart.”
no avatar
User

Lora S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

by Lora S » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:02 am

Well said Robin!

I took one look this morning and told Kyle- I am ready to finally cancel.

The Evening News/Tribune in Southern Indiana is better for our local coverage.

It is sad as both Kyle and I actually wake up 90 minutes "early" to "ease into our morning" with coffee and a real printed paper.

I embrace technology- but there is something to be said for the "feel of Newsprint" and the "sound (and smell) of cracking open a new hardback book.

I look forward to reading others opinion- ironically on an electronic message board.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:52 pm

I hate hate hate news on an iPad or laptop. Every face page is a mess or jumbled layout interspersed with obvious advertising and not so obvious advertising so you don't know what's what. The layout of most local news affiliates is horrible. It's as if someone is trying desperately hard to look clever or hip. (Although WLKY's site isn't too bad. It certainly is the easiest to make heads or tails of.) I miss a real newspaper although I am all for a greener approach to publishing. I just wish the sites were managed better .
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:10 pm

Maybe the Koch Brothers might consider saving local news?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:18 pm

Steve H wrote:Maybe the Koch Brothers might consider saving local news?

I'm not sure they could be any more venal or mendacious than Gannett ... :cry:
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:50 pm

I loved the days of The Louisville Times hitting the front porch around 5 pm. When I was a kid, it meant my dad would be getting off the bus soon, and dinner was close to being ready. Fast forward to now, and the only overall improvement I can think of is the plastic bag. I remember laying the paper out on clothes racks to dry after a wet time on the porch. I have heard two interesting things recently about the CJ - A commercial delivery person told me that the local residential carriers have a new contract which pays them all the same amount, regardless of how many papers they deliver. My mother has been having some delivery problems lately, and the person I spoke to seemed to think it might be because this new contract lacks any incentive for the carrier. In fact, the "paperboy" who delivers to my mother told her she didn't need to subscribe to the paper! He said she could get it online. The other very interesting thing I've heard is the print edition of the USA Today may be phased out next year, and the CJ and other Gannett papers will pick up more content. It's all pretty bleak for print media, and I hate to see it, but at least the CJ does seem to have some good things going for it, which is the layout of other Gannett papers in house. I have a friend who is a copy editor at the CJ, and he has told me entire floors of the building are vacant. I wish I had been on a field trip when I was younger, in it's heyday, but I'd still like to visit now - I'm sure it's surreal. My mother actually didn't remember how much larger the paper was, but we luckily had a 1968 edition and I took a picture of it on top of 2013.

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:02 pm

Things look bleak for newspapers that followed Gannet's style of print journalism but I don't think you can say that about all print. It was less than a year ago that Warren Buffett bought more than 50 newspapers. Mr Buffett is not one to make losing investments.

Advertising is the life blood of a paper. No advertising - no paper longevity. Gannet used way too many unpaid interns to take care of advertising clients. Salesman go out make the promises, make the sales then hand those clients off to unpaid interns that have no investment in those clients. Ad copy gets screwed up, the wrong ad runs or doesn't run at all, necessary ad charges aren't made. In short, the client is sorely neglected leaving the client with a bad experience and they never advertise again. Eventually the paper runs through most or all of their advertising prospects and their income resources dries up. BUT, for independent newspapers that still value their advertisers and take care of them and deliver on their promises, they still make money.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:18 pm

What are the chances of the CJ getting somebody better than Gannett?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:09 pm

Gordon M Lowe wrote:What are the chances of the CJ getting somebody better than Gannett?

Zero, I'd say. Given the way its value has plummeted, they're holding the equivalent of a seriously "underwater" mortgage.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Gordon M Lowe wrote:What are the chances of the CJ getting somebody better than Gannett?

Zero, I'd say. Given the way its value has plummeted, they're holding the equivalent of a seriously "underwater" mortgage.

Do you think that being the only daily in town might make a difference?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:27 pm

Carla G wrote:Do you think that being the only daily in town might make a difference?

Carla, all this stuff is really way above my pay grade. :mrgreen:

But here's what I think. First, Gannett has too much wrapped up in the CJ. I doubt that it's for sale. And second, who'd buy IN to a weak property in a dying business? Yeah, Jeff Bezos, but the Washington Post is no Courier-Journal. Let's face it, in its quest for unreasonable profits, Gannett has cut corners and shirked the budget at the CJ until they've destroyed whatever reputation it once had. There's not much left to be proud of, or to offer a buyer.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:26 am

I agree with you, I don't see it being for sale. They've invested WAY too much money in that huge printing press.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:24 am

That press can also be used to print the Indy Star, USA Today, the Cincy Enquirer, and the CJ.. all of which are owned by Gannet. The Enquirer ditched their pressroom awhile back. Indy's press is about as old as the CJ's, but they could close one or the orher and move the printing around. Looks like the wholesale looting of the newsroom continues, they just lost their Religion reporter. Now they are trying to get freelancers to write, shoot and report on the local scene, working out of coffee houses etc. Should have great visuals as they'll be using smartphones to take the pictures, that will work for the web at 72 DPI but won't fly well at 300 DPI for print.. say goodnight Mrs. Calabash it wont be long now.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:44 am

What a shame. The cheapening of America. They already send their ad design and layout to India.
Gary I am guessing the press at the CJ is only about 5 years old. I didn't realize Indys press was that new.
Next