Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Discussion of Robin Garr's Village Anchor review

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:03 am

Vibrant Village Anchor Pub & Roost thrives in old Anchorage
LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

When Village Anchor Pub & Roost and its companion watering hole, The Sea Hag, opened three years ago this past summer, I thought they were pretty cool. But I wondered if they would stick.

They were bright, bold and edgy, featuring perhaps the city’s best semi al fresco patio in the Anchor’s Lanai and the kind of decor touches - Old Masters in rococo frames mounted on the ceiling! - that you’d expect a proprietor like Kevin Grainger, creator of “Got Milk” and the Nike “Swoosh” - to come up with.

They were capitalized, too, by “Papa” John Schnatter, who wrote the big checks required to dismantle, move and renovate the old Anchorage train station to a nearby hilltop to house the venture. This was a deal we assume Papa could arrange with the stroke of a gold Montblanc pen.

All this in the center of upper-crust Anchorage, a community known for shady lanes, expansive Victorian-era mansions, and post-card-worthy old village churches? Oh, yeah, and its own school system, independent of the metro public schools.

Was there any chance that a good-size bar and wacky gastropub-style eatery (along with the similarly appealing attractions of Anchorage Cafe in the same development) could fit in long-term to the buttoned-up environment of wealthy, conservative Anchorage?

I’m happy to report that my first return trip to the Pub & Roost after my initial visits in the summer of ‘10 found the place thriving, with plenty of local citizens relaxed, casual and apparently having a good time. The kitchen staff has remained stable, a good thing, with Executive Chef Geoff Heyde and Executive Sous Chef Oscar Maldonado still on board, joined by Sous Chef Patrick Gosden.

The outfit’s Facebook page defines it now as “a lively Parisian Bistro greets the more traditional English Pub,” which sounds interesting, although I don’t see a whole lot of Paris here. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, since I do see plenty of the kind of old-fashioned Kentucky cookery that some call “Southern,” leavened, as it should be, with international touches from all over the world. Including, well, French fries.

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/vibra ... -anchorage

And in LEO Weekly:
http://leoweekly.com/dining/vibrant-vil ... -anchorage

Village Anchor Pub & Roost
11507 Park Road
Anchorage
708-1850
http://Facebook.com/TheVillageAnchor
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

Re: Discussion of Robin Garr's Village Anchor review

by Margie L » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:25 am

Hmmmmm...my fried chicken level is getting dangerously low. I obviously need to make a stop in Anchorage.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:32 am

Margie,

If you are craving Fried Chicken, go to Jack's. We were there last night and both had the Fried Chicken- it is truly the best I've ever had. And I think tonight( Wednesday) is their special for chicken with a reduced price. :wink: :D

Deb
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:13 pm

Robin, I still don't understand why you or anyone else is so much in love with this restaurant. The semi-alfresco dining is only attractive because it's the only place to sit for common people, the inside seems to be restricted to those in the know. Even when requesting inside dining when making reservations you don't end up there. You end up sitting outside either surrounded by flies or being blown away by the fans on all but a few days of the year.

In addition the pricing seems to be on the high side even considering it is in Anchorage. The $17 you paid for 2 pieces of fried chicken and mashed potatoes is a ridiculous price for that and you paid over $102 for dinner for 2? I can go to a lot nicer restaurant in this for the same amount of money and they treated a lot better.

Maybe you and others have seen something that we and friends haven't but this is certainly my opinion of that restaurant.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Mark R. wrote:Maybe you and others have seen something that we and friends haven't but this is certainly my opinion of that restaurant.

Mark, you certainly have your right to that opinion! Your experience hasn't been my experience, though.

Also, the bill was for four, which comes to about $25 a head including adult beverages and desserts. Wasn't that clear from the article? I'll go back and check to see if a fix is needed.

FOLLOW-UP: Oops, the HotBytes version was an earlier draft with a couple of changes excluded. It's now clear that the tab was for four. :)
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:28 pm

Now I do get the grumblings about the price points, however, I have found that when I have been there for dinner (solo, for a couple of occasions) that the food, service and atmosphere justified the cost (in my humble opinion). I also enjoy Sunday Brunch there on occasion when I am wanting something unusual. And I must admit their "Hotter Brown" is on my favorite list.

Are there better "bangs" for the buck.....sure! No argument. However, for those of us whom adore dining alfresco and being thankful that we've been able to do so in spades this season, I will give Kevin his due enjoy a nice evening out....

BTW....just for reference, a nice dinner with a couple of glasses of wine is no more than one at Seviche or Volare. And the traffic is not as bad!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:22 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Margie,

If you are craving Fried Chicken, go to Jack's. We were there last night and both had the Fried Chicken- it is truly the best I've ever had. And I think tonight( Wednesday) is their special for chicken with a reduced price. :wink: :D

Deb

Thanks for the tip Deb!!