Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Ginza

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Ginza

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:15 pm

It's now open at Hurstbourne and Shelbyville. Has anyone been yet?
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Ginza

by Mark R. » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:25 pm

We noticed they were open and of last week. Haven't seen a whole lot of cars around there yet. Here's their website:http://ginzalouisville.com/index.html

Looks like you're trying to be a little bit of everything oriental from Sushi to Thai etc. everything but Vietnamese.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:51 pm

I went by (right up the road from home) and had dinner on Saturday evening....they just opened Wednesday last, so the crowds have not really discovered it yet.

Of major note is the remodel of the form Mr. Gatti's (thank you Mr. Peabody and the WayBack Machine) from my childhood. Nicely appointed and very family friendly interior. Plus the menu (available online) is very extensive!

Sushi is fantastic and well done. It's not your traditional setup with the open Sushi bar that you sit by and watch, and it's very attentive table service.

I had the Dragon Roll, which was good to it's name with the dragon head and tail skillfully carved from raw carrot and the body of the dragon was the roll. Very tasty indeed.

I also had the hibachi shrimp, which was good, but not really noteworthy...I am looking forward to working my way thru the sushi menu on subsequent visits

I will be back for sure for the sushi...and the convenience. :mrgreen:
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:08 am

Lunched there Friday. Sashimi lunch special. Really good. The salad dressing was a bit on the sweet side, but still good. Pretty place inside. Nice people - all from the same city in China. I'm looking forward to trying more things on the menu next time.
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:36 pm

For those who did not grow-up with a Mr. Gatti's at that intersection :wink: , where is the building?
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:13 pm

Deb Hall wrote:For those who did not grow-up with a Mr. Gatti's at that intersection :wink: , where is the building?

Next door (toward Hurstbourne) to Senor Iguanas.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:26 pm

Deb Hall wrote:For those who did not grow-up with a Mr. Gatti's at that intersection :wink: , where is the building?

Down Shelbyville Road, about 4 miles east of the old Sears Building. :lol:

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:32 pm

Margie L wrote:

Down Shelbyville Road, about 4 miles east of the old Sears Building. :lol:

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

LOL. :lol:
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:51 pm

I stopped in for lunch today with my son Matt we both had sushi. I had the chose 2 roll lunch deal with salad and Matt had the sushi/sashimi lunch with soup. I picked the California roll and the Avocado ,asparagus and cucumber . We are both sushi newbies but we loved it the server was so helpful and the place was very comfortable. We will be back. :)
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:21 pm

We thought it generally good, and very inexpensive (especially for what you get).

Given that, while the owners may be Chinese, the most popular dishes are the Thai and sushi options; in fact, when I asked our waitress whether I should order one of the Chinese options or a Thai sweet chili salmon, I was told no questions but to order the salmon (which was good - on the order of Buck's but not as heavily fried).

All the dishes are very attractively displayed.

One point: for the sushi, the vast majority of dishes are either cooked or spicy; this can mean that they weren't sure what would sell, so really only have to keep a limited selection of top "fresh" options. This isn't bad - smart on their part - but don't expect the range of choice of some of the better places known in the area for sushi. Hopefully over time we'll start seeing more raw options.
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:29 pm

We had dinner last night and certainly agree with everyone else that the food is excellent. We had tempura vegetables for appetizer and they were extremely well done, nice, light and fluffy batter and some very tasty vegetables. We split the sashimi, sushi entrée, not only was the food very good, but the presentation was wonderful. Entries include soup and salad, we have a hot and sour soup which was a little different and what is normally seen in local Chinese restaurants but extremely flavorful. Prices are very reasonable for the quality of food you receive.

The restaurant was about half full when we arrived and stayed that way most of the time we were there. We talked with the manager and they are not associated with the one in Elizabethtown but are associated with the one in Frankfurt, she actually moved up here with them to be the manager of this location.

Edit: I forgot to and that they do have a small sushi bar that seats 5 or 6. It's in the back of the restaurant.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Cindy Franklin

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:52 am

by Cindy Franklin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:12 pm

Ginza is our new favorite restaurant - we love Louisville's broad variety of good restaurants, but we've been back to Ginza more than any other restaurant in town!
The chefs obviously love what they do - the food is so fresh and beautifully presented! The bar has been open for a while, now, too, and Amanda loves to try new drink recipes out on the customers.
The red curry is the only dish I've had twice, because it is just that good, but we're working our way through the entire menu.
If you haven't been yet, give it a try. The tuna collar makes a wonderful appetizer for starters, and you'll enjoy everything that comes after. :wink:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:02 pm

Cindy Franklin wrote:Ginza is our new favorite restaurant - we love Louisville's broad variety of good restaurants, but we've been back to Ginza more than any other restaurant in town!

Welcome to the forum, CIndy! Glad you've joined our group!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:36 am

I notice the CJ reviewed Ginza today, and went through a certain amount of gymnastics to point out that a place that tries to do multiple cuisines doesn't usually succeed (I'm lookin at you, Lemongrass), but seemed to bend over backward to praise Ginza. I thought it read more like a 2 1/2 star review than the 3 stars it received, but it was still a positive review, and I'd certainly be willing to give it a try.

CJ review (may require paid registration):
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/ ... ian-Bistro
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:48 am

Did you say Tuna Collar? As in Hamachi Kama? Mmmmmm!!
Next