Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

The Coach Lamp to be on Restaurant Impossible.

by Adam C » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:15 am

Whoa! I hope they don't completely destroy that bar. From what I remember it was a nice, vintage "Louisville bar" as I call them.

http://insiderlouisville.com/news/2013/08/08/volunteers-wanted-coach-lamp-getting-restaurant-impossible-overhaul-next-week/
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: The Coach Lamp to be on Restaurant Impossible.

by Mark R. » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:59 am

I never really sure if the show does any good for a restaurant or not. It seems like many times they destroy what the restaurant has going for it. It will certainly be interesting to see what they do with a restaurant that many of us know firsthand.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:37 pm

It's been a few years since I've been. I like that show, but it can be a little brutal. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:15 pm

It seems that most of the time the restaurant featured on the show end up closing anyway. I haven't been there since Richard Lowe was the chef, but we enjoyed our visits.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:17 pm

Has Coach Lamp been doing that poorly that they need this treatment? I've not heard anything bad about the place.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Richard S. wrote:It seems that most of the time the restaurant featured on the show end up closing anyway.

When you're set in your ways it can be hard to change. I think a lot of places get a good bump and then slide back into their problems.
User

Lisa Stephenson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Jeffersonville, IN

by Lisa Stephenson » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:50 pm

Gordon M Lowe wrote:
Richard S. wrote:It seems that most of the time the restaurant featured on the show end up closing anyway.

When you're set in your ways it can be hard to change. I think a lot of places get a good bump and then slide back into their problems.

How do you know that most seem to close? Does Food Network post these stats ?
Who's set in their ways? The Louisville eating public? Louisville Hotbytes?.....
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:57 pm

I don't have statistical evidence but while I'm watching the show I Google the restaurant on my phone to see if it's still open. Most times it's not. And I would think that in many cases the restaurant operators go back to their old (bad) habits. If you've been doing things a certain way for years a two-day crash course isn't likely to change your ways.
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:13 pm

How in the hell have I NEVER heard of this place!!!???
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:19 pm

Jeremy J wrote:How in the hell have I NEVER heard of this place!!!???

it's actually been mentioned on here quite often, especially around Derby time.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:38 pm

I like to think of Coach Lamp as one of our well kept secrets. Food can be hit or miss. I think there was a chef change in the recent past? I love going there, but the last 3 or 4 times I've gone, my party has been one of the only tables there. It's too bad. I hope they don't totally gut it or anything. I think the interior is charming and the patio quite lovely - one of my favourites in town.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:28 am

Adam C wrote:Whoa! I hope they don't completely destroy that bar. From what I remember it was a nice, vintage "Louisville bar" as I call them.

Jeremy J wrote:How in the hell have I NEVER heard of this place!!!???

Amy Hoover wrote:I like to think of Coach Lamp as one of our well kept secrets.

"Restaurant Impossible" & "Mystery Diners" are the only nonfiction shows I watch on a regular basis outside NFL season. I was explaining to my wife about "RI today. Chef Robert Irvine typically finds the following problems to be in the mix to a greater or lesser degree, and I am not saying these are all in play at CL, just explaining to those unfamiliar with how the show has played out over the years:
1) Operators aren't good at math, simple 'duh' materials+labor+overhead+proper markup.
2) Operators don't work well with each other &/or manage staff effectively.
3) Operators don't stock quality ingredients with people who know how to cook well enough to please enough people.
4) The facility is lackluster or so off the beaten path it goes unnoticed by general traffic.
5) Not enough people know there's a business in operation due to inadequate marketing efforts.
6) A clientele of mostly older people with no 'next gen' to keep them in business as their patrons gradually spend less & then go to the cemetery or nursing home. This is often related to 4 being a place so dull only old people go there because that place was called "X" back during the war when we couldn't get onions and we had gas rationing and, boy, remember...

Adam, I PRAY they don't trash the bar as Chef R. does love wielding a sledgehammer so much!
Jeremy / Amy - one of the problems that "RI" finds in marketing is that sometimes restaurants can 'best kept secret' themselves into asphixia. The fact a seriously respected (by me anyway) foodie like Jeremy had no clue this place exists screams that they are 'best kept secreting' themselves out of business.
The place is low lit inside and when that is found on "RI" is pretty much the first thing that is seized on to fix on the show. That would be welcome to me as I hate squinting at a menu in low light. Folks who work there may have the eyes of a cat but I had to use a pocket flashlight. BRIGHTEN IT UP ALREADY!
My wife's comments were that the food is really good, but overpriced for that location. I said I didn't think they were overpriced to which she countered it is in a neighborhood where you wouldn't expect to pay much for a meal. I couldn't argue with that, I was just thinking of CL in a vacuum.
Off the beaten path & lack of marketing pretty much are a double whammy and that seems a problem to us. There's little traffic on Vine Street. It ain't Frankfort Avenue or Bardstown Road or East Market. People don't drive up and down Vine Street asking, "OK, where should we eat?" And the first time we went to Coach Lamp we had a little trouble finding it. So even driving along the street it doesn't scream, "Hey, we can feed you". You have to know in advance you want to go there and without publicity that is done - how? We've been there a couple of times and really enjoyed it as what Amy notes as a 'best kept secret'. But we've eaten there because we stumbled upon references by actively looking through foodie media. That's not a hobby for everyone. A lot of folks are open to trying new things but you have to reach out to them. A restaurant is not a geo-caching game.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:20 am

I was planning to go after some raves about their Po Boys in the forum. But, they took them off the menu before I could make it.
:cry:

I'd make a special trip for the "best" Po Boy in town; but their current menu doesn't read like a destination restaurant for me. There's nothing unique or best of class. Sounds like they lost the neighborhood walk in traffic too.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:21 am

Hasn't it also shifted a few times, from standard American to New Orleans to more American? It's sort of toward that Gulf style, but at least to me doesn't have a consistent identity!
Andrew Mellman
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:50 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:People don't drive up and down Vine Street asking, "OK, where should we eat?"

All great points, but especially that. I laughed out loud at that. :lol:
Next