Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Port Clinton OH

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

Port Clinton OH

by Michele Cull » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:40 am

Any suggestion on where to eat? Prob quicker lunch and something better quality for dinner.

MissChele
MissChele
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Port Clinton OH

by Steve P » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Michele Cull wrote:Any suggestion on where to eat? Prob quicker lunch and something better quality for dinner.

MissChele

Wherever you eat it should include a meal of (fresh) Walleye or "Lake Erie" (actually Yellow) Perch. Either of them (done right) blows away this "Green River" stuff they serve around here...

For lunch I would suggest the Jolly Roger Seafood House...low key, kinda diner-ish, if you're sitting outside you might have to bus your table but the Perch are fantastic, the Walleye ain't bad either. Round it off with an order of Waffle fries and Onion Rings to make for a good healthy lunch.

There are a couple of good pizza joints; Friends of ours swear by Bell Mell and Cameo. I've also heard good things about the Catawba Inn when it comes to burgers and fish.

If you've never been to Port Clinton, it's pretty weak on the fine dining but (as one would expect from one of Ohio's party capitals) pretty heavy on the bar food/pub grub. If you think Fish/Pizza/Burgers (in that order) you'll have no trouble finding something appealing.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:55 am

Jolly Roger sounds like just the ticket! Might have to take issue with Green River vs Lake Erie but I don't eat much fish unless my brother catches it, so I may be a bit spoiled. The other places sound good too. When I say better quality, a sit down where we can celebrate a birthday without bussing our own table will suffice. Just don't have a real "refined" palate like most folks on here, so I'm not terribly picky.

Appreciate you response, Steve!

MissChele
MissChele
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:20 am

MissChelle

Perch are a small fish and as one might imagine the filets are typically quite small...along the "North Shore" they are typically "breaded" in a seasoned flour and quick fried. An "order" is usually 3 or 4 filets served as a platter or on a sandwich bun (NOT Rye Bread). I'm typically not a huge fish eater but I can put away 7 or 8 of these little morsels, no problem.

Walleye a probably the best eating fish known to mankind...and if you elect to avail yourself you'll find the preparation all over the map...The two most common techniques up there are a simple -fine- cornmeal breading (more in line with the "Green River" style) or (my favorite) a thin corn meal BATTER (fine corn meal, seasoned flour and milk or beer as a liquid...along with some seasonings)...some places also do a fantastic job of "pan frying" (sauteed).

BTW, if you per chance find yourself on the "West Side" of Cleve-burgh, one of my favorite places in the entire world is called "Fat Heads Brewery" in North Olmsted (about 45 minutes east of Port Clinton). AWESOME food with a local twist.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:22 pm

http://www.monamiwinery.com/

Didn't eat here, but did some wine tasting and the dining room was very busy.

Also pretty cool, if you like animals, is the African Wildlife Safari.

http://www.africansafariwildlifepark.com/

We ate at Crabby Joe's Dockside and found it ok. Standard quality fish sandwich and onion rings.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/cities/240/re ... tos/258127
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Great suggestions! We might hit Fat Heads depending on time - looks like our kind of place.

MissChele
MissChele
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:37 am

Went to Jolly Roger for dinner. Our hotel was right across the street. Sampled both the perch and walleye with waffle fries. They were doing a hopping business but had no trouble finding a table. It was cooked to order and we waited about 20 minutes - well worth it! I preferred the walleye but the perch was tasty too. Neither were "fishy" but had a kind of delicate flavor. No sweetness (?) that I am accustomed to with catfish. Only "native" meal we had but hope to go back. Thanks Steve!
MissChele
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:43 pm

Steve P, I was wondering if you have ever eaten at Pickle Bills in Mentor. Just guessin you lived up in that part of Ohio at one time or another.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Jeff T wrote:Steve P, I was wondering if you have ever eaten at Pickle Bills in Mentor. Just guessin you lived up in that part of Ohio at one time or another.

My wife and I are originally "from" N.E. Ohio...and still get up there pretty often but Pickle Bills is one that has escaped us thus far. Good place ?
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:10 am

Steve
Its been a while since we have dined there. They are famous(?) for their all u can eat prime rib and ...pick another item such as crab legs, lake perch ect. My wifes whole family is from that part of Ohio.