Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

SouthEast Christian boots out the boy scouts.

by DanB » Tue May 28, 2013 3:50 am

"No queers in here y'all" !! What an embarrassment.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/22432411/loui ... boy-scouts
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: SouthEast Christian boots out the boy scouts.

by Robin Garr » Tue May 28, 2013 7:28 am

It does appear to reflect a rather odd understanding of "Christianity."
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Tue May 28, 2013 3:46 pm

Pharisees doing what Pharisees do..
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 28, 2013 5:32 pm

Gary Guss wrote:Pharisees doing what Pharisees do..

The Pharisees actually get kind of a bum rap, but that's a whole 'nuther story. :lol:
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed May 29, 2013 7:14 am

yeah I know, I'm talking about the biblical representation not the reality
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 29, 2013 7:46 am

Gary Guss wrote:yeah I know, I'm talking about the biblical representation not the reality

Whitened sepulchers for sure! 8)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed May 29, 2013 5:55 pm

Perhaps SEC doesn't realize that Boy Scouts Scout masters are business owners as well.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Wed May 29, 2013 11:02 pm

What burns me about this is that SECC was planning on not rechartering with BSA since January - I have that from someone who is close to the troop - but waited to announce it once BSA made the decision. I respect their wanting to cut ties with BSA, but the timing is just a bit suspect. I do not agree with their decision, but they have the right to drop out of BSA. What I really question is cherry picking what you follow in the Bible. Are they eating shellfish, are their women wearing head covers, have they stoned anyone recently? These are also in the Bible, in Leviticus, where the most quoted passage regarding homosexuality is. Just waiting for those that say the Bible is followed to the letter to start doing all it says....

Also by this split decision is causing BSA to lose not only Charter Partners, many adults are leaving, too. Some because they do not want any gay people, but many more because BSA has not gone the distance. On top of the country-wide cover-ups of molestation and payoffs of families of molested children is why this adult will not be involved with BSA anymore either.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 30, 2013 12:17 pm

I was an Eagle Scout (so far back that they called them Pterodactyl Scouts in those days :mrgreen: ), and through my life I've felt it was Scouting, pretty much as much as church and maybe more than my parents :lol: who turned me into whatever kind of human being I became. I've been grateful for that. But I've also felt really bad to see the national Scout organization become more and more politically conservative and - until now, anyway - seemingly in thrall to the Religious Right.

It's sort of sad not to be all that proud of my Eagle badge any more. But I ain't sending it back. I earned it, not them. :wink:
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Thu May 30, 2013 1:55 pm

The tenants of Scouting are still valid, but as you said Robin, the leadership has become polarized by the religious organizations. They need to look at their own history, in USA founded by a newspaperman and the added "obligation to God" was put in 3+ years after the founding in America. No specific religion was mentioned. Early troops were not sponsored by churches, but by companies and fraternal organizations, some by schools. I spent many years involved with BSA, my ex was a Leader, I was with Exploring and my child's troop for over 16 years. Our son is an Assistant Scout Master with his troop now. He chose to stay and I respect his decision.

Be proud of that Eagle, you earned it. I hope BSA can survive this, but I fear as long as they continue to split hairs, they will not.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

by Rick Boman » Fri May 31, 2013 12:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I was an Eagle Scout (so far back that they called them Pterodactyl Scouts in those days :mrgreen: ), and through my life I've felt it was Scouting, pretty much as much as church and maybe more than my parents :lol: who turned me into whatever kind of human being I became. I've been grateful for that. But I've also felt really bad to see the national Scout organization become more and more politically conservative and - until now, anyway - seemingly in thrall to the Religious Right.

It's sort of sad not to be all that proud of my Eagle badge any more. But I ain't sending it back. I earned it, not them. :wink:

As one eagle scout to another, I can tell you that scouting isn't what it used to be. As to the homosexuality thing, scouting isn't the place to discuss or even need to know about a person's sexuality. It shouldn't matter. Gay scout masters are no more likely to be pedophiles than straight ones. The question of gay scouts being allowed in should be no issue either. Nobody should be bullied and there should be no litmus test for scouts.
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Fri May 31, 2013 3:34 pm

Rick Boman wrote:scouting isn't the place to discuss or even need to know about a person's sexuality. It shouldn't matter. Gay scout masters are no more likely to be pedophiles than straight ones. The question of gay scouts being allowed in should be no issue either. Nobody should be bullied and there should be no litmus test for scouts.

Hear hear!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri May 31, 2013 4:09 pm

Mike Hardin wrote:
Rick Boman wrote:scouting isn't the place to discuss or even need to know about a person's sexuality. It shouldn't matter. Gay scout masters are no more likely to be pedophiles than straight ones. The question of gay scouts being allowed in should be no issue either. Nobody should be bullied and there should be no litmus test for scouts.

Hear hear!

+1
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 31, 2013 5:25 pm

Carla G wrote:
Mike Hardin wrote:

Hear hear!

+1

Thinking back on it, I probably learned more about the birds and the bees from listening to the older kids telling dirty jokes on Scout camping trips than I did from my parents, though. :oops: