Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

It Turned South, Quick...

by Stephen D » Wed May 29, 2013 5:25 am

You're probably reading this.

I left your restaurant last night in a huff because of your attitude. No, I will not call you out and hurt the many people I know in that fine establishment.

Yeah, I was with a dear friend who is an older gay gentleman. So what? Just because we are friends doesn't mean anything. I have lots of friends and the last time I checked sexual orientation isn't on my 'give a shit' list.

He's a great and kind person and I count myself lucky to be his friend.

What you didn't know is that I speak restaurant language- I know when you're insulting me and mine through a veil. Yep- saw you at the computer scowling and winding up for that one.

Now I don't know you, but I do know that the next time I come into that restaurant you won't be there. That one act shows me the fatal flaw- that you shouldn't be in this business. We take care of everyone, regardless.

It kills me that I took my friend to dinner (in his neighborhood, mind you) at a truly great restaurant. You guys were firing on all cylinders- his eyes were all lit up. I was laughing- 'told you so.'

And then that? Seriously?

I know, I know- you'll tell your boss that there was some misinterpretation of language. I suspect this isn't the first issue you've had nor the first excuse. Once again- I literally watched you wind up to insult this man.

You actually went out of your way to do this. We weren't your guests. The Bar Manager was taking care of us. You actually interjected yourself in our conversation to insult us.

It's too bad- I should be spending these words talking about how cool your restaurant is. Instead, I'm talking about how it turned South, quick.
Last edited by Stephen D on Wed May 29, 2013 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

Re: It Turned South, Quick...

by Stephen D » Wed May 29, 2013 7:10 am

By the way...

The fella you insulted owns or manages a good portion of the city. Tada! You never know who you're taking care of, so take care of them all.
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Wed May 29, 2013 9:51 am

Stephen, I'm so sorry to hear of your unpleasant experience. I know what a violation it would be to mention the name of this restaurant, but frankly, as an "older gay gentleman" myself, I'd like very much NOT to waste my time and money in a place that is likely going to treat me rudely.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 29, 2013 9:54 am

Jimmy Reeves wrote:Stephen, I'm so sorry to hear of your unpleasant experience. I know what a violation it would be to mention the name of this restaurant, but frankly, as an "older gay gentleman" myself, I'd like very much NOT to waste my time and money in a place that is likely going to treat me rudely.

As a straight gentleman who's not down with bigotry, I'd kind of like a clue, too.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed May 29, 2013 10:09 am

I cannot do that, with all due respect.

His behavior in no way represented the restaurant. They should not be harmed. Like I said they're brilliant- the whole experience was almost flawless- indeed exceptional.

It should be said that when I come into an establishment, I am an 'anti-critic.' I am looking to sing one's praises. If I have a less-than-desirable experience, I'll chalk it up to 'whatever' and just not write about it.

That got my hackles, though- they knew it. I promise you, if I get that serious about something- it's something worth getting serious about.
no avatar
User

John S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:11 pm

by John S » Wed May 29, 2013 10:19 am

I'm interested in what specifically the server said or did to indicate that he/she was anti-gay. I've had my fair share of servers who have bad attitudes, but I wouldn't feel comfortable assigning intent to their behavior without knowing additional information.
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 am

Thank you for standing up for your friend.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Wed May 29, 2013 2:01 pm

Stephen D wrote:I cannot do that, with all due respect.

Then what was the point of the thread in the first place? Because you think or hope this server will read this forum and this thread? :roll:

If you want to call out bigotry thats great. But then call it out in the open and let everyone know whats what. Otherwise your publicly posting a private comment, and should simply slip the bigot your comment on a cocktail napkin next time.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed May 29, 2013 4:45 pm

Doug Davis wrote:
Stephen D wrote:I cannot do that, with all due respect.

Then what was the point of the thread in the first place? Because you think or hope this server will read this forum and this thread? :roll:

If you want to call out bigotry thats great. But then call it out in the open and let everyone know whats what. Otherwise your publicly posting a private comment, and should simply slip the bigot your comment on a cocktail napkin next time.

Lovely.

When I made the original post I knew a couple of things would happen:

a) The person would be held to the fire without the restaurant being held responsible. Good.

b) Someone like you would try to give me grief over it. No- my action was very smart, almost surgical. I'm not trying to get everybody in a roar over this. You can criticize all you want about the way I handled this affair, but I am right (and I just tip-toed on the end of a string to make it so.) Every Restaurateur in the city is giving me a high-five right now.

At the end of the day- 'you will fall in love with each of your guests. You will treat them like family.' Do we have a problem? Come talk to me...
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed May 29, 2013 5:24 pm

Way to go Stephen.

From another Stephen
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

John S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:11 pm

by John S » Thu May 30, 2013 7:41 am

Stephen D wrote:...

No- my action was very smart, almost surgical. I'm not trying to get everybody in a roar over this. You can criticize all you want about the way I handled this affair, but I am right (and I just tip-toed on the end of a string to make it so.) Every Restaurateur in the city is giving me a high-five right now.

At the end of the day- 'you will fall in love with each of your guests. You will treat them like family.' Do we have a problem? Come talk to me...

To do something in a surgical manner means to do it precisely. What you have done is posted in a web forum that you went to a restaurant that you won't name, had a server that you won't identify, and that this server did or said something that you won't discuss. I would argue that this is far from surgical. Rather, I would say that this is bordering on passive-aggressive. If you wanted to handle this in a smart, surgical manner, I believe the proper action would have been to speak directly to the manager, and to tell him/her what happened and what you believe should be done about it.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Thu May 30, 2013 7:54 am

I'm thinking that the OP is more of a redacted after action report, not the actual action.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Thu May 30, 2013 8:25 am

John S wrote:
Stephen D wrote:...

No- my action was very smart, almost surgical. I'm not trying to get everybody in a roar over this. You can criticize all you want about the way I handled this affair, but I am right (and I just tip-toed on the end of a string to make it so.) Every Restaurateur in the city is giving me a high-five right now.

To do something in a surgical manner means to do it precisely. What you have done is posted in a web forum that you went to a restaurant that you won't name, had a server that you won't identify, and that this server did or said something that you won't discuss. I would argue that this is far from surgical. Rather, I would say that this is bordering on passive-aggressive. If you wanted to handle this in a smart, surgical manner, I believe the proper action would have been to speak directly to the manager, and to tell him/her what happened and what you believe should be done about it.

Boom
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:56 am

Way to go Stephen- we work in such a tight community that I know someone at that restaurant will read the post, know who you are and who the culprit is. I'm sure it will be taken care of, and because of your classy post the reputation of a good establishment won't be sullied.
All the rest is chatter.
I'm proud as an older gay man (well not THAT old) to call you a friend.
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

by Alison Hanover » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:36 am

I don't understand. How will the restaurant you are speaking about a) know it is them, and b) know which waiter you are talking about? Is it because the owner of the restaurant knows you and knows you were in that night? You seem fairly confident that the waiter in question will be fired. Is this because he is easily identiable. Bigotry is nasty in any shap or form, but I would have thought it would have been a lot more satisfactory to complain to the owner or manager at the time.
Alison Hanover
Next