Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Gymnastics for 10 yo

User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

Gymnastics for 10 yo

by Nimbus Couzin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what the scoop is on local gymnastics programs/schools for kids here in town. My big guy (ten yo) really wants to learn some skills. We're not talking competitive, but I don't just want games and babysitting - he actually wants to learn how to do some things properly. We've got a trampoline, and he has 6+ years karate experience, so he's coordinated and flexible (can you say splits?). So he should have a good head start.

Any pointers? I know this forum may not be the best place to ask this question, but I figured it is worth a shot....

Thanks!
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Gymnastics for 10 yo

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:30 pm

A friend just started her kids at All About Kids Sports Center, Oldham Branch. Her kids are younger, but knowing her, she researched it thoroughly. Her daughter and sons are taking gymnastics and daughter is also started dance.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Paula B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

by Paula B » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:27 am

My granddaughter took gymnastics at All about kids on blankenbaker.. the instructors seemed very professional as well as super safety concious...
Also KGA has a great reputation...
Nimbus, another thought is Turners on River Road.. They have a very cool acrobat program, that looks interesting and fun, especially for a boy..
Good luck, and hope you are doing great.
Paula Barmore :D
no avatar
User

JenS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:09 pm

by JenS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:38 pm

Another option is Louisville Gymnastics. It's located on Chamberlain Ln. KGA is a great place, but I would put All About Kids on the bottom of the list. My gymnastics experiences have been with younger children (5&6yo), so it may be different for older kids, but my impression of AAK is that it's hit or miss. It's a huge place and they have a lot of instructors. Some are better than others. Lou Gymnastics and KGA are smaller and more personalized. Each have less turnover with staff, too.
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Another vote for Louisville Gymnastics. My 8 year old daughter started in the Fall and loves it.
MissChele
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:44 am

Another vote for Louisville Gymnastics! Both of my kids have taken lessons there. They are great people - classes are great for non-competitive skills, but they also have a great competitive program if he decides he wants to go farther. Really like their program. The only issue I ever had with them was the heat in the facility ( very hot in Summer, but their new facility looks great!)

I know this is way out on the East End for you, Nimbus- but it's really close to the exit off the Gene Synder so it's a straight shot.

Deb