Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

Re: Fool's Pour Not Full Pours at Against The Grain

by Mike Hardin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:06 pm

Wouldn't it have been easier and quicker to just look that up, Steve? Here. First link in google for "thc in beer"

http://www.cannabissearch.com/edibles/beer/
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:28 pm

Mike Hardin wrote:Wouldn't it have been easier and quicker to just look that up, Steve? Here. First link in google for "thc in beer"

Here's how that's done:
Wouldn't it have been easier and quicker to just look that up.
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:33 pm

Steve P wrote:... might we begin seeing some interesting brews come from the states where said product has recently been legalized ?

Just wondering...

I like where this thread is going.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:33 pm

Mike Hardin wrote:Wouldn't it have been easier and quicker to just look that up, Steve? Here. First link in google for "thc in beer"

Nahhhh....My way was pretty easy. I just posted the question, took a nice long nap and then quick like a bunny by the time I woke up some nice feller had done all the leg work. :wink:
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:29 pm

Just because you like something a certain way and are not afraid to say so, does not make you a snob!

A snob believes that some people are inherently inferior to him or her for any one of a variety of reasons, including real or supposed intellect, wealth, education, ...

I do not believe anyone is inferior to me because of what beer they choose to drink or in what manner they choose to drink it.

If you don't understand my consternation at having to specifically request that my beer have only a small head on it at ATG or else I will get shorted what I consider is a significant amount of beer then you don't understand... and that doesn't make you inferior!

Here's a full pour for those of you who are still confused. Yes, there is a head on it for those who wish some foam on your lip and nose while your drinking. If you can't smell your beer without foam on it, then maybe there's something wrong with your sense of smell. This is a 20 oz beer at NABC poured for me by Kacey today at 1:00ish for $4.75. This was a cask conditioned English style ale and if I didn't have to work I would still be there drinking this wonderful beer now. Cheers!
Attachments
Fullpour.jpg
Fullpour.jpg (53.96 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
Last edited by Shane Campbell on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a bitter drinker....I just prefer it that way
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mike Hardin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:33 pm

Steve H wrote:

Here's how that's done:
Wouldn't it have been easier and quicker to just look that up.

I attempted that one because I love the snark that goes with it but my html skills suck.
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mike Hardin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:33 pm

Shane Campbell wrote:Just because you like something a certain way and are not afraid to say so, does not make you a snob!

A snob believes that some people are inherently inferior to him or her for any one of a variety of reasons, including real or supposed intellect, wealth, education, ...

I do not believe anyone is inferior to me because of what beer they choose to drink or in what manner they choose to drink it.

If you don't understand my consternation at having to specifically request that my beer have only a small head on it at ATG or else I will get shorted what I consider is a significant amount of beer then you don't understand... and that doesn't make you inferior!

Here's a full pour for those of you who are still confused. Yes, there is a head on it for those who wish some foam on your lip and nose while your drinking. If you can't smell your beer without foam on it, then maybe there's something wrong with your sense of smell. This is a 20 oz beer at NABC poured for me by Casey today at 1:00ish for $4.75. This was a cask conditioned English style ale and if I didn't have to work I would still be there drinking this wonderful beer now. Cheers!

Oh man that makes me thirsty.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Jeremy J wrote:Yeah, I gotta say, the full pour issue seems damn valid to me, but judging the names?? I mean, you do drink beer, right? Nearly all of my favorite craft breweries use numerous immature beer names. Stone, 3 Floyds, Oskar Blues, Founders, NABC, Revolution and that's just a handful of the US ones alone. It's kind of what makes beer snobbery an everyman's snobbery.

If you think some of the names we have now are immature, you should hear some of the rejected ones.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:24 pm

Mike Hardin wrote:
Shane Campbell wrote:Just because you like something a certain way and are not afraid to say so, does not make you a snob!

Here's a full pour for those of you who are still confused. Yes, there is a head on it for those who wish some foam on your lip and nose while your drinking. If you can't smell your beer without foam on it, then maybe there's something wrong with your sense of smell. This is a 20 oz beer at NABC poured for me by Casey today at 1:00ish for $4.75. This was a cask conditioned English style ale and if I didn't have to work I would still be there drinking this wonderful beer now. Cheers!

Oh man that makes me thirsty.

Kacey tapped a fresh cask today. Beak's Best cask will be added to beer engine two tomorrow. Get.Some.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:20 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:If you think some of the names we have now are immature, you should hear some of the rejected ones.

:shock: 8) :lol:
no avatar
User

S Cruz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:42 pm

401 East Main St. @ Slugger Field

by S Cruz » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Hello all... Im Sam, one of the owners at Against The Grain...and yes, I would be classified as a brewer....I just wanted to briefly weigh in on this.

I do apologize for your not being happy with the volume of beer served on your visits to AtG. As I was not present and cannot determine what you were drinking, it will be difficult for me to offer up any valid excuse for a 'fools pour'. So we definitely apologize for that. As you mention that your a regular beer drinker, this is probably something that you already are aware of, but the concept that AtG offers, lends to a number of different styles of beer being created. In fact, many of them are truly unique, as they may be the first commercial expression of their kind. With that said, there will be a number of different volumes (frankly more than I have patience to list) that are acceptable for the pours, as well as the appropriate glass being any number of shapes or sizes for these beers. You see, we didn't create AtG to follow the British standard for the 'perfect pour' so to assume that you will get no more or less than half an inch of head on your beers is not valid. We are often creating interpretations of styles that stretch the globe for inspiration. Provided our service staff are following the prescribed volumes we've created for our pours, you will get a very fair (and in some cases very generous) pour for your dollars.
But, you have brought to light a noticed inconsistency and we appreciate the feedback. So we will definitely be more diligent in ensuring the pours are consistent with our prescribed pour volumes on each beer.

As to being short sighted, and showing little respect for our customers and beer. This is where I take issue with your post. We are a very forward thinking company. Our goals are to provide Against The Grain patrons and our outlying markets with the very best possible beer. We will spare no expense at sourcing the best ingredients, as well as spare no discretion when attempting very complex techniques and processes when brewing beers. Lastly, we will innovate with our beers, and educate our community on the amazing world of beer.

I'm not sure how those goals translate to being short sighted. As anyone in this business can attest, the concept of brewing and inconsistent lineup of styles is a brazen business model. It requires an immense amount of planning and precision in deciding what to make and what to sell, where. It also requires a large amount of confidence in ones processes and ability to brew amazing beer (i believe you called it arrogance). We are guilty of all of those above, as that's what it takes to carry out the mission... provide a beer that stands by consistency in quality, rather than being consistently the same thing.

It is our unwavering respect for our customers that has inspired us to be this type of brewery. Nor I, or my partners, are under the assumption that AtG beers are all the market has to offer. Nor are we under the belief that our customers are so foolish to be tricked by a beer name, brand, or brand loyalty. We believe our customers are bright, experienced, and capable of calling 'bullshit' when 'bullshit' presents. So we need no wall of flagships or labels to hide behind. Our beers are brewed as an initial expression, without pilot batches, and with full confidence of them being of the highest quality. It is the respect we have for our customers that has lead us brew beers without short cuts or compromise. We take pride in knowing that when someone comes to AtG, they will leave with the understanding that we are here for beer!

As to not having respect for the beer we brew. I'm not sure what part of the monikers we have chosen for our beers that lead you to believe this. If you haven't picked up on it yet, they are often puns, related to the going's on in the world or to some pop trend from a '30 somethings' generation (we are who we are, right?). I and my partners got into the business of brewing beer, because we love beer. Everything about beer. The craft beer culture is filled with quirky, eclectic, and fun people...why? Because beer is fun. So keeping in the spirit of fun and staying true to who we are, we are having fun! Take them or leave them, the beer names are us.... big giant swollen erection and all.

As I said, thank you very much for the feedback on your experience at AtG. If you're unsatisfied with
your pour again, please do not hesitate to call for a manager and let them know. It is much easier to correct a mistake like that in the moment, than to go back and do a sweeping reprimand or training of staff when the problem is likely isolated. Beyond, that, please, do say hello and introduce yourself when in again. We love to get to know those who are willing to offer feedback on our brand and products!

Until we meet..
Best

Sam
El Presidente
Against The Grain Brewery
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:35 pm

S Cruz wrote:Provided our service staff are following the prescribed volumes we've created for our pours, you will get a very fair (and in some cases very generous) pour for your dollars.

This made me giggle; throughout this thread, I've been thinking that the last time I was at AtG, my complaint to Sam was that I got TOO MUCH beer ... at the Danish tartare beer dinner a while back.

Don't worry: I wasn't driving. But I was a bit shaky ...
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
S Cruz wrote:Provided our service staff are following the prescribed volumes we've created for our pours, you will get a very fair (and in some cases very generous) pour for your dollars.

This made me giggle; throughout this thread, I've been thinking that the last time I was at AtG, my complaint to Sam was that I got TOO MUCH beer ... at the Danish tartare beer dinner a while back.

Don't worry: I wasn't driving. But I was a bit shaky ...

WHAT! You said that directly to El Presidente himself? What are you like a "Known" person there Roger?
I have no doubt that if I were a regular at ATG or part of the local brewing hierarchy I would always get my glass filled like I like it.

Remember there were two other people at my table who got short pours too. These were low gravity pale ales. There is no reason for 11/2" to 2" inches of head on these beers.
I'm a bitter drinker....I just prefer it that way
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Shane Campbell wrote:WHAT! You said that directly to El Presidente himself? What are you like a "Known" person there Roger?
I have no doubt that if I were a regular at ATG or part of the local brewing hierarchy I would always get my glass filled like I like it.

No, I got the same size pours as everyone else. In reality, my point at the time was about beer dinner protocol, not short pours or overfills. The beers were high gravity, and the cumulative effect was buzzy. Not that I left anything on the table, mind you.
Last edited by Roger A. Baylor on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Amy B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:49 am

by Amy B » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:50 pm

As a server, this thread makes me paranoid now when serving beer and I'm actually happy that this was pointed out as I would have never thought about this being a problem. It makes perfect sense. The more foam you have, the less beer. I wouldn't call it snobby to want a perfectly poured glass of beer. If I'm paying money for a beer, I better get a full glass of it. Wine lovers want their wine a certain way, ice tea drinkers want their tea a certain way, coffee lovers want their coffee a certain way. No different with beer. As far as names go, I love the fun quirky names given to some of the beers. I've had guests make jokes when they order Rogue Dead Guy, Upland Nuthugger, or Founder's Dirty Bastard.
PreviousNext